Looking for a dash cam - Uber

Ttsoldier

Reaction score
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
I'll start with saying that I've never owned a dash cam so I'm not very familiar with them.

I started driving for Uber about 5 months ago and I think it's time I invest in a dash cam.

I'm looking for a dash cam that can record the front and inside the vehicle . I would also like the dash cam to be able to upload to the cloud automatically. The reason I want this is because crime is very bad where I am from and in the event that I am robbed of my car and / or phone I would like to be able to access the footage in the cloud. Based on some research it seems only the blackvue does this but that's a hefty price tag.

I know there are dash cams with WiFi built in but I'm not sure how the wifi works.

I know your phone can connect to the dash cam to view the videos. Is it possible that the videos can be automatically downloaded to your phone?. If yes, that's fine because I can just sync the recordings folder to my phone automatically.

I also have a unlimited wifi hotspot in my car. My phone is always connected to it.

Can the dash cam connect to that network and files can be transferred to my phone through that network or it must be that my phone connects to the dash cam wifi. Of so that won't be convenient because I'll have to keep disconnecting my phone from the hotspot and connecting it to the dash cam wifi.

I would like an automatic , seamless process.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Hi there,

With wifi dash cams, it's not common for them to automatically connect and upload. Even with BlackVue Cloud, you'll have to manually move that footage into the server. I did see something that's new called the OwlCam, it seems that it's suitable for your needs, however, being that its brand new it's hard to say how exactly it works and if it'll be suitable for your needs.

-Jimmy @ BlackboxMyCar

Hi there,

With wifi dash cams, it's not common for them to automatically connect and upload. Even with BlackVue Cloud, you'll have to manually move that footage into the server. I did see something that's new called the OwlCam, it seems that it's suitable for your needs, however, being that its brand new it's hard to say how exactly it works and if it'll be suitable for your needs.

-Jimmy @ BlackboxMyCar

Thanks for the response. I contacted owl cam. They said that the camera doesn't automatically send the videos to your smart phone.

Thanks for the response. I contacted owl cam. They said that the camera doesn't automatically send the videos to your smart phone.

Ah bummer, I don't think there's anything on the market at the moment.
Maybe something to look forward to, as data plans in the other countries are quite expensive it maybe be hard for manufacturers to develop.

-Jimmy @ BlackboxMyCar

That's correct it can be moved to the cloud but it has to be done manually.

-Jimmy @ BlackboxMyCar
I guess my concern is if I'm robbed of my car, how do I get the footage. But I guess that's not the purpose of dash cams

I guess my concern is if I'm robbed of my car, how do I get the footage. But I guess that's not the purpose of dash cams

The footage would be recorded on the memory card on the unit itself. So even if you were to be without your phone you are able to take the memory card out and into a computer to view to the footage.

Out of curiosity, in the 5 months you have been driving, have you encountered any situations where you felt you needed the dashcam?

I've had dashcams for years, including internal ones for situations like confrontations/police stops, but it's actually never happened, so theoretically having cams that record where I want them to (the same as you require) have been great, but I've never had to worry about cloud storage. (but I am 6'4 and not afraid of stabbing someone to protect myself)

Anyway, the Nextbase Duo is a single unit with 2 cams attached on the main unit, one for out the front window and one for interior

Out of curiosity, in the 5 months you have been driving, have you encountered any situations where you felt you needed the dashcam?

I've had dashcams for years, including internal ones for situations like confrontations/police stops, but it's actually never happened, so theoretically having cams that record where I want them to (the same as you require) have been great, but I've never had to worry about cloud storage. (but I am 6'4 and not afraid of stabbing someone to protect myself)

Anyway, the Nextbase Duo is a single unit with 2 cams attached on the main unit, one for out the front window and one for interior

Safety wise no, but recently an Uber driver was held at gun point and robbed of his cash ( Uber allows cash payments here). Since then, it got me thinking.

Driving wise, in November a drunk driver broke a traffic light and broadsided my vehicle. He lied and said I broke the light and that complicated the insurance process. A dash cam would have been handy there to show I had the green light.

Driving wise, in November a drunk driver broke a traffic light and broadsided my vehicle. He lied and said I broke the light and that complicated the insurance process. A dash cam would have been handy there to show I had the green light.

You might well be safe enough with a standard dashcam similar to what I've mentioned, ie without "instant cloud upload". Maybe in the future cams will be able to auto-upload to the cloud in the event that your car is taken and you can just control from your phone, but I don't think its available yet

You might well be safe enough with a standard dashcam similar to what I've mentioned, ie without "instant cloud upload". Maybe in the future cams will be able to auto-upload to the cloud in the event that your car is taken and you can just control from your phone, but I don't think its available yet

Thanks. Is the Vantrue N2 Pro a good option as well?

Yes I think so, I don't know what it's quality is like or its full range of features though but look for user reviews on youtube

You should think for inside to use an IP camera. All ot them have Onvif protocol and a CCTV camera is created for protection, safety.
There are some small and cheap cameras like Sricam SP022 for example which can fit inside the car. It records video, audio, have internal sd card, IR. That 022 is just an example.
Another option can be an dedicated Wi-Fi dashcam but to work paired with a hidden smartphone and some app which will record in loop mode when the WiFi connection is on.

enjoy,
Mtz

The Transcend is good because it can record inside the car cabin and as a dashcam.

Back