Looking for a dash camera that can stream video/image to laptop via USB/bluetooth or something else

Jernej

Reaction score
Country
Slovenia
I need to buy a dash camera that is able to stream live video footage directly to laptop. Video can be streamed via whatever technology. Do such dash cameras exist? In addition to that, camera also need to support feature of interval image capture, let us say every x second.

So what I am looking for is a camera that captures image every x seconds (x can be 1s, 5s, 10s, etc.) and sends that image to laptop.

I found some cameras that have interval image capture option but not live streaming option.

Can you suggest cameras that support above mentioned functionalities?

If similar questions have been posted I am sorry for opening another thread.

Cheers
Jernej

I think I found something I was looking for: http://hdvcam.net/contour/contour2-review/
But I am not sure if contour +2 camera enables streaming feature that I desperately need. Is is possible to stream via USB or HDMI directly to laptop?

Can somebody confirm?

Thank you in advance
Jernej

the cameras will typically have live view option, any image capture will only be on the camera itself

Contour +2 camera does not have a screen, so no live view option is possible.

Contour +2 camera does not have a screen, so no live view option is possible.
by live view I mean what you see when a monitor is connected, not all cameras will output over HDMI live while recording, some will only use that for review/playback

Yes you have to be careful even if a camera have a HDMI plug, as jokiin say it may only be live during playback

I am not quite sure if this is a limitation on some chipsets ( brand ) or it is a case of support in older chipsets maybe not supporting this but newer chipsets might support it.
I think if the HDMI is there it should also work during record, and if not the manual should state this with bold lettering.

I am hoping to a level where its almost painful that the git 3 camera will support live HDMI during recording, if it do i might just have to rob a little old lady and get me one of those for out of the normal creative use.
That is if i understand the git 3 project right, and not least i can find a 5" LCD screen with HDMI in for my FPV goggles.

Dash and action cameras that do have wifi for changing settings on the camera and preview do have a short wifi range.
Some of these new cameras can even dual save meaning both on the camera SD card and on your tablet / phone connected via wifi.
But as i said wifi signal is not strong, and i am not sure you can extend it with wifi repeaters.

There is also some lag on the preview footage, normally around 1 second.

Some small cctv cameras like dropcam - arlo - flir FX and what they are called are probably your best route, but some only support cloud storage while others do have a SD card on board.
All of these small cameras have wifi and can be viewed via the internet if you forward the signal on your router.
And some of them also have out door models or waterproof housings for outside use, and some IR light too for when it is night.

Last edited:
Thank you for your answers!

I stated in the opening post that dash cam has to have functionality to stream images directly to laptop. What I was trying to ask was that my future camera has to have functionality of saving images to laptop hard drive.

I am not sure if streaming also necessary means saving. I know that for instance camera Contour +2 or Falcon Zero Touch PRO HD Dash Cam have features to stream our recorded video to laptop via HDMI in real time. But this is not enough for me since those images must stay on the laptop hard drive.

Does somebody know if there is a camera on the market, that can send images to my laptop hard drive? Does not necessary need to have option to stream video/images on laptop screen but rather just save captured images/video on laptop.

Cheers
Jernej

you're trying to do video capture on the laptop, that's a function of the computer that is unrelated as such to the camera

I guess that answers my question =).
With streaming option I am consequently able to save image to my hard drive. Sure as you stated jokiin, that I is the function of my laptop

Thanks
Jernej

Hi,

Jernej, actually have the same question, so wondering how the Contour +2 worked out!

Viofo A129 will stream over WiFi using RTSP protocol, works with most video players.

Back