Looking for a dash camera with specific features

twentyeggs

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I am very new into the dash camera game. I bought one 2 years ago, it was some chineese knock off and it has destroyed 3 of my mini cards. Basically it would create files that could not be deleted. You could not even format the card. I pretty much stopped using it after someone broke into my car and cut the cord on my dash cam. They tried to steal the camera but when I bought the item the suction cup fell off and I used silicon to glue it to my windshield for a permanent placement.

I do not know if I want to do the gluing thing again with a quality product so I am going to ask a bunch of questions to see if there is a dashcam that you know of that fits my wants. Money is not a factor.

I want a dash camera that has:
an auto on feature
security feature that detects movement
good at night HD video all around
do they make any dash cams that cannot be stolen ones a bad guy is inside the car? something with a security cable that could wrap around the rear view mirror maybe?
Do they make dash cameras that broadcast so if I am illegally searched the cop cannot steal my memory card? (I had this happen once)
gps, speed, date and time settings a must.

My main concern is a thief, once in my car stealing the camera or taking the memory card. I am equally concerned with a cop stealing my memory card (again this already happened to me after he conducted an illegal search hoping to find drugs) Do they have perminent mounting options out there for dash cams? The way I look at it, is a dash cam should be a car part, once installed, it stays in the car forever, or until you sell it. I do not get the whole easily removed aspect of every single dash cam I have come across. These things are supposed to be a digital witness, but i have not come across a single cam that cannot be tampered with.

For example I have an app on my phone called Fi-Vo that streams video into a drop box on my computer. So if a criminal or cop takes my phone and tries to delete the video or even destroy my phone, the evidence is sitting on my computer. Whether it can do it by itself, connect to your phone, only store the data when a button is pressed or a collision is identified. something! I mean what if your car bursts into flames (again happened to my corvette) your video is toast. I feel like the dash cameras out today are only useful in the most ideal conditions, and are worthless in the event someone identifies that you have one, like a wrong doer who can overpower you, a thief, or police officer.

Am I just wishful thinking or is there a product out there that actually makes the dash camera a real security/protection device?

Welcome to the forum twentyeggs :) In regards to the stealthy install, Mobius is so small and versatile that it could be easily installed out of the way, and probably never be seen by anyone. I have one in the back of my SUV and you really would have a difficult time seeing it even if you knew it was back there.

Most windshield mirrors can be broken off quite easily. You would need an enclosure that is secured to the dash or roof. A remote mount camera with a small display controller might work better if you're concerned about theft.

KuoH

do they make any dash cams that cannot be stolen ones a bad guy is inside the car? something with a security cable that could wrap around the rear view mirror maybe?

twentyeggs said:

Not a good idea. I have a friend with a top of the line Volvo that had his after market stuff installed with "one way screws" ie. screws that only screw in and can only be removed with a special tool. When car was broken in the thief cannot remove anything end up destroying the whole car interior. Seats, ceiling, dash and gauges.

First of all, if you want to stay away from thief stealing your cameras, you will need a hardwired installation for your dash camera.

You might find out it is so inconvenient if you want to remove it and convert to another vehicle. It is based on some dash cam users would love to do most of the time.

However, it is difficult for the thief to steal it if you have hardwired the dash cam. It is because it required at least half an hour to remove all of the things, and most of the thief would terrified if they need so much time to take the things they want. Usually, when you have taken the installation, and find some dash cameras have a light spot in parking mode where it can show it is recording in other's eyes, the outcome - the thief won't be taking the risk to damage your car because they know the cam is recording the whole crime.

Refer what you said, a security cable to wrap the rear around the mirror might be difficult technically. If someone is breaking in your car, your car's alarm is already a signal for the others to know. And if you want to install a security cable on a the dash cameras, it may damage your dash camera.

Or you can find a dash camera in the market, where the data(memory) box is separated from the dash camera where you can play back the whole video.

Back