Looking for a Dashcam Expert

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, Everyone,

I am looking for a dashcam expert. I need help on a project that I'm working on and I would love to ask them a few personal questions (rather than posting a question publicly). The person needs to have a wide understanding of most dashcams out there and of the best way to install and operate one. Any help or advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Is there a salary range? I kid, I kid.

Seriously though, read anything by @TonyM and @Dashmellow and you’ll be well on your way to expertise.

Thanks! Mighty obliged. I'm trying to write a recommendation sheet for a project. If I am able to find someone to help me, I'll give you access to it.

best way to install and operate one.
Leave installation to a professional, then set and forget!

...And don't forget to service it regularly, that is check that it is still working at least once a year, and replace the memory card if it has had excessive use.

I almost had BestBuy install it, but eventually decided there was a good chance I would get a half-a**ed job and I might as well half-a** it myself for free.

And don't forget to service it regularly, that is check that it is still working at least once a year

I'm to the point where I try to make sure the buttons are responsive every time I start my car. I try to press one of the buttons to make sure the screen comes on. I've had a few instances where the dash cam froze in between stops and I didn't realize it until I pulled the card to review the footage which I try to do on a daily basis.

Why would Best Buy do a half-a**ed job?

In the great US of A companies are motivated by profit over everything else, especially publicly traded companies. The corporate office probably pushes a "do the right thing, follow the rules, blah blah blah mantra", but when it comes down to the store level all it takes is for a manager pressuring an hourly wage employee to finish a job quickly to have corners cut that shouldn't be.

They're currently charging $60 USD for a front camera install and $130 USD for a rear camera install. Looking at GlassDoor it seems they pay Auto Techs $13 - $20. It could be higher or lower based on geographical location in the US and cost of living. To break even on the service just from a labor hours perspective, they would have to install the front dash cam in 3 - 4.6 hours for the front cam and 6.5 - 10 hours for a rear cam.

The front camera is pretty easy especially if you're not hardwiring it. My main concern here would be how they're routing the cable from the dash cam to the cigarette lighter or to the fuse box. Are they just tucking the wire behind the "A" pillar trim without removing it and without any regard for the side curtain air bags that may be installed or are they taking the time to remove the trim and run it so it doesn't interfere with air bag deployment? If you're hardwiring it, are they installing a fuse that is rated appropriately for the cable or are they slapping in whatever fuse they have.

The only way to know this is to inspect their work after they installed it or you just have to trust that they did it right. You may get a tech who takes pride in their work, knows what they're doing, and does the right thing no matter what. However, you may get someone who doesn't know what they're doing, it's their first time doing it ever (or for your car model), or might be pressured by management to do a quick job no matter how sloppy the work. I could be wrong about all of this and they might be willing to take a loss on the installation as a part of being able to offer the service and use it as a type of loss leader to get people into the store. Edit: After reading reviews on Glassdoor, it seems like the auto techs may work in other parts of the store when not doing auto stuff, so I guess it's not really a loss if they take longer than expected on a particular install. They could also have detailed work guides for all models of vehicles which show techs exactly how to install a dash cam for each vehicle model, but I would flip a coin on whether that is the case or not.

The rear camera gets a little trickier. You have to start taking a part a lot of trim, potentially undoing seat cushions, going through grommets that are already full of cables if it's a hatchback, etc. Again, if you've already done it once for a particular model of car and have all the tools and know how, then it's pretty easy. However, if not then you might end up with a dash cam install where they took some short cuts and a lot of the same concerns as the front camera.

Ultimately. my main hesitations with Best Buy was:
  • Would I get an experienced tech or someone who just started that morning?
  • Would they route the cables properly to avoid interference with air bag deployment or just tuck it behind the trim?
  • Would they use a fuse sized properly for the cable?
  • Possible damage to trim mounting points. It's one thing if I break them, but another thing if I pay someone to install the dash cam and they break it.
  • Possible damage to other wires inside cable grommet if they're excessively rough routing it. It's one thing if I break it, but another thing if they break it.
  • Most likely they make you sign something indemnifying them from any damage they cause and/or limiting any claim to the amount you paid them. It might not be enforceable, but you would have to sue them in small claims court to find out.
I decided that there were more things that could go wrong, than could go right and did it myself. I've never worked for Best Buy and have no idea if any of this is accurate. However, in my employment history I've seen shady things done by companies that makes me a little leery of companies doing the right thing or doing right by the customer.

Last edited:

...And don't forget to service it regularly, that is check that it is still working at least once a year, and replace the memory card if it has had excessive use.

I'm fine with a professional doing the installation but many consumers have other questions like which make/model and SD card should they purchase.

I'm fine with a professional doing the installation but many consumers have other questions like which make/model and SD card should they purchase.
That is a bit like asking which make/model car and fuel should I purchase, there is no one answer that covers everyone!

I agree. But, I find it risky trusting someone in BestBuy to know and pick the best dashcam. Don't you think it's possible that someone in BestBuy would simply recommend the one that simply costs the most or the one that's easiest to install? In my experience, the employees at BestBuy just parrot what's found in the product descriptions.

I agree. But, I find it risky trusting someone in BestBuy to know and pick the best dashcam. Don't you think it's possible that someone in BestBuy would simply recommend the one that simply costs the most or the one that's easiest to install? In my experience, the employees at BestBuy just parrot what's found in the product descriptions.
We don't have BestBuy here so can't comment, but I wouldn't expect a good answer from a general purpose store.
But that is what forums are for, you can ask as many questions as you like and you will receive many different answers, then you need to decide who to trust!
If you use a private conversation, you will only get one view, and that is not ideal.

They're geeks! :smuggrin:

For those outside the US who may not be familiar with Best Buy, when I made the wisecrack about geeks I was referring to Best Buy's "Geek Squad", a series of services offered by the company.

I've never used the service. I've heard mixed reports though. It seems to depend in the nature of the product and the luck of the draw regarding which "geek" you get.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/services/geek-squad/pcmcat138100050018.c?id=pcmcat138100050018

INSTALL
WE'LL DELIVER YOUR PRODUCT AND GET IT UP AND RUNNING

SET UP
WE'LL SET UP YOUR TECH AND SHOW YOU HOW TO USE IT

PROTECT
EXTEND YOUR WARRANTY AND PROTECT YOUR PURCHASE

SUPPORT
GET QUESTIONS ANSWERED AND PROBLEMS SOLVED 24/7/365

REPAIR
WE'LL FIX YOUR CELL PHONE AND COMPUTER, NO MATTER WHERE YOU BOUGHT THEM

Last edited:
We don't have BestBuy here so can't comment, but I wouldn't expect a good answer from a general purpose store.
But that is what forums are for, you can ask as many questions as you like and you will receive many different answers, then you need to decide who to trust!
If you use a private conversation, you will only get one view, and that is not ideal.
I agree that forums are currently the best way to get unbiased information about products. However, the major drawback is the time factor. The information is not organized. So, you need to wade through hundreds of comments to achieve a high level of understanding. Imagine if you could access an information source by unbiased experts. Wouldn't that be better?

Not yet. but i bet they will come the I Car and I Home, I Home being like a mini version of the Danish nanny state, where you just have to breathe regularly and you are good.

But one little cough and the I Nurse will be activated to the tune of 90 USD a hour.

Best Buy used local freelance installers, a little like Doordash-style employment when I organized it for our company vehicles (8). They were all installed with no problems a few months ago.

Hi, Everyone,

I am looking for a dashcam expert. I need help on a project that I'm working on and I would love to ask them a few personal questions (rather than posting a question publicly). The person needs to have a wide understanding of most dashcams out there and of the best way to install and operate one. Any help or advice is appreciated.

Thanks.
I am willing to answer any questions related dash cameras, I personally think I am "the person who have a wide understanding of most dashcams out there" ^_^.

Because we are dash cam maker, I think it will be also helpful for us to better understand "the market".

You can send PM to me directly if you have any questions, my pleasure if I can help.

I am willing to answer any questions related dash cameras, I personally think I am "the person who have a wide understanding of most dashcams out there" ^_^.

Because we are dash cam maker, I think it will be also helpful for us to better understand "the market".

You can send PM to me directly if you have any questions, my pleasure if I can help.

Fabio,

Thanks for your offer, but I am looking for people who aren't linked to the sell-side in any way. I appreciate the offer though.

Back