Looking for a dashcam interface that has external camera input

john2k

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for a dashcam unit that can possibly allow external cameras rather than a all-in-one unit. Is there such a device? Other option i guess I could just get a basic one that has rear camera input and just use that lol

If you're speaking of cams with wired remote cameras seperate from the processor module, they are out there. Probably the best right now is Street Guardian's SG9663DR, but there's also the K2S along with many motorcycle cams made in a similar fashion but with shorter cables.

Phil

If you're speaking of cams with wired remote cameras seperate from the processor module, they are out there. Probably the best right now is Street Guardian's SG9663DR, but there's also the K2S along with many motorcycle cams made in a similar fashion but with shorter cables.

Phil
Thank you for that. Exactly what I was looking for. It seems the ones made for motorcycles usually have a processing unit with 2 individual cameras. This is the sort of thing I'm looking to do. Because I'm upgrading my bumper and my new bumper is from a model of car that has forward facing camera slot. So the best practical use I can find for this slot on the bumper is to use it as a dashcam

i would not have a external front facing camera, and surely not a dash camera.
You will need to develop a lens cleaning fetish for that to work, its bad on say a rear reversing camera, but they are already low resolution and really you are not looking for little details so if it is a bit dirty it is not the end of the world.
It is sort of the #2 dashcam directive of the universe, the optimal place aside for high on the windscreen is that it is within wiper coverage.
And people with dual systems driving a sedan, well they wish they have a rear wiper as many of us hatchback drivers have.

I do think the DR support the external waterproof cameras in the SG range, maybe not the DR have unique camera and other wires, though the camera end is USB midi type, also not at all sure you could replace both of the cameras with the waterproof model.
Anywho either of them are not exactly the optimal shape or mounting brackets for a smooth build in like a bumper

I would verify with SG seller for sure before pulling the trigger.

Not sure if SG's waterproof camera will work with that model. A bumper-level cam isn't going to show much of what you'll want to see in the event of a crash, while a cam mounted high on the windshield will. Even mounting low on the windshield loses a lot of view. And Kamkar is right about things getting dirty fast on exposed cams. Some motorcycle riders have even has to replace their front cam (or it's lens) for the beating it takes as well as the constant cleaning needed.

Phil

Bumnper cam is fine for a bit of old school car chase cam, but for reliability / crash cam, i think it is about the worst place to put a camera.

Back