Looking for a decent action cam, more interested in photos than videos

Antonio77

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Hi all,
I'm looking for a camera to take some underwater photos. I'd like to spend less than 100€.
Thanks to "the list of shame" I found on this website I discovered that almost all the low budget camera I was looking are 3/4MPix sensor camera that do fake 12MPx photos and fake 4K videos.

I'm not really interested in 4k video, to be honest I'm not interested in video at all (1K/60fps is more than enough for me), my desire is to take some decent underwater photos, maybe with a real resolution higher than 3/4 MPix.

Do you have camera to suggest that cost less than 100€??

i think if you are interested in photos the most, then you should go for a camera that allow you to save your pictures in raw format, this should allow for more post processing if you are into that.
As i understand it a Jpeg picture is more or less locked in, the raw let you modify just about anything with the picture.

Some one correct me if i am wrong, i personally have never used paintshop or similar programs.

i think if you are interested in photos the most, then you should go for a camera that allow you to save your pictures in raw format, this should allow for more post processing if you are into that.
As i understand it a Jpeg picture is more or less locked in, the raw let you modify just about anything with the picture.

Some one correct me if i am wrong, i personally have never used paintshop or similar programs.

You are right, RAW allow you to correct the white balance, an important feat for underwater photography. But I'm looking for a budget camera, RAW is a feature you can find in more valuable cameras?
I would be fine with a simple camera that take pictures with real 8/10 Mpx instead of 12 awful interpolated pixels.
But I was not able to find something like that under 100€.

I am pretty new to action cameras myself, but i an testing on the SJ6 and SJ7 that SJcams sent to me, and the SJ6 Legend do have raw photos, but its no budget camera as its 50% over what you are willing to pay.

It is hard when it have to be "cheap" my friend just found out the Sj4000 wifi he got to replace his regular SJ4000 that fell off in high speed crash with a RC speed boat is a fake, and not only is it a fake it is a really bad one with footage no way near what a SJ4000 can do.

Why not use used or cheap android phone and some app that can take photo timelapse, dascam photos are not so good under 100$ or so.

I just lost my Sj6 into a 1.5 M deep pond, not in its waterproof casing :oops::(:(:(:(:(:(

I just lost my Sj6 into a 1.5 M deep pond, not in its waterproof casing :oops::(:(:(:(:(:(
My condolences. If you can retrieve it, try using silica gel to dry it out. If you're desparate try uncooked rice, though even cat litter works better than rice.

Underwater?!
I have allways used samsung xcover so water has never been issue to me but of course it depends how deep and how long, but there is a lots of waterproof cases to select.

I once accidentally put my cell phone through the washing machine, including an extra rinse cycle. It seemed completely ruined. I put it aside on a shelf somewhere and then weeks later discovered that it was again working perfectly as if nothing had ever happened to it. Try @russ331's suggestions if you can retrieve the camera and you may be pleasantly surprised. You might even try opening up the case to let it air out better.

It took a while but we got it fished out of the koi pond.

The camera is draining in my friends living room sill as it see plenty of sunshine, plus my friends old father use the living room the most and he got the heat ON
I have taken out the battery and left that tray open, and i peeled off the front cover as that's pretty easy to do on the SJ6 as it just snap in place.

The camera was in there for 3-4 minutes before i managed to catch it with a little child's fishing net my friend use to skim larger things before they get into the surface skimmer in the pond.

The battery is drying out here at my place.

I figure when it is dry i will have to take it apart to at least inspect the sensor, and i assume the lens might need replacing too, if it is the kind with a square IR cut filter at the bottom i think water are able to find its way in behind the IR filter.

Anyway the pond is fresh water so that's good, but i am don't have high hopes for the otherwise nice 1080p shooter.

I was just about to put the camera in the waterproof housing when my friends high energy dog ran by and knocked the camera out of my hand and into the pond next to me.

A few years ago the dog did the same with a little RC boat my friend was carrying, it did not go in any water as that would not matter, but either the dog hitting the little boat or when it hit the ground totally destroyed the rear end of the little plastic jet drive in those boats.

It took a while but we got it fished out of the koi pond.

The camera is draining in my friends living room sill as it see plenty of sunshine, plus my friends old father use the living room the most and he got the heat ON
I have taken out the battery and left that tray open, and i peeled off the front cover as that's pretty easy to do on the SJ6 as it just snap in place.

The camera was in there for 3-4 minutes before i managed to catch it with a little child's fishing net my friend use to skim larger things before they get into the surface skimmer in the pond.

The battery is drying out here at my place.

I figure when it is dry i will have to take it apart to at least inspect the sensor, and i assume the lens might need replacing too, if it is the kind with a square IR cut filter at the bottom i think water are able to find its way in behind the IR filter.

Anyway the pond is fresh water so that's good, but i am don't have high hopes for the otherwise nice 1080p shooter.

I was just about to put the camera in the waterproof housing when my friends high energy dog ran by and knocked the camera out of my hand and into the pond next to me.

A few years ago the dog did the same with a little RC boat my friend was carrying, it did not go in any water as that would not matter, but either the dog hitting the little boat or when it hit the ground totally destroyed the rear end of the little plastic jet drive in those boats.

To quote Mark Twain: “If I owned half of that dog, I would shoot my half!"

Lets just say that compared to the dog my friend had when i first met him, the following dogs have been a huge let down.

The current one, not even 2 full time trainers can teach the dog to walk on a leash, but as ****ty as it is on leash just as good is it off leash, but the problem is most places here you got to have your dog on leash.

The dog need that Ex Mexican guy for sure ;)

I cant do it, i teached the great dane at my sisters house to walk just fine on a leash, at least when there was no other dogs around, but the same with my friends dog are lost like "talking" to a wall.

Lets just say that compared to the dog my friend had when i first met him, the following dogs have been a huge let down.

The current one, not even 2 full time trainers can teach the dog to walk on a leash, but as ****ty as it is on leash just as good is it off leash, but the problem is most places here you got to have your dog on leash.

The dog need that Ex Mexican guy for sure ;)

I cant do it, i teached the great dane at my sisters house to walk just fine on a leash, at least when there was no other dogs around, but the same with my friends dog are lost like "talking" to a wall.

Your friend should buy a copy of "How To Be Your Dog's Best Friend". It is THE best and most surprising dog training book you will ever find. It was written by a group of monks.....The Monks of New Skete. They've put out some new dog books over the years but this one is the best I think. Many years ago a girlfriend of mine went away on vacation and left her rambunctious out of control golden retriever puppy with me to look after. When she got home she couldn't believe how well trained and well behaved the dog had become. The funny thing was that the dog only listened to me when I gave her commands not when my girlfriend did. Finally, she read the book and followed the techniques and the dog became well behaved around her too. Great book!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/0316610003

monksofnewskete.jpg

My friends first dog he told me that me trying to teach her to give paw was a waste of time, but it took me a few hours and she pawed me with one paw and high five with the other paw.
My friend never said anything cuz he sure don't like to admit when he is wrong, and so also make it pretty hard to debate anything with him where we don't see eye to eye.
So i think it would be better if i got that book and did something, cuz my friend have settled now and will most likely disregard any new ideas.

My friends first dog he told me that me trying to teach her to give paw was a waste of time, but it took me a few hours and she pawed me with one paw and high five with the other paw.
My friend never said anything cuz he sure don't like to admit when he is wrong, and so also make it pretty hard to debate anything with him where we don't see eye to eye.
So i think it would be better if i got that book and did something, cuz my friend have settled now and will most likely disregard any new ideas.

It is more complicated than this, of course, but basically the owner needs to establish a relationship with their dog so the owner is THE "Alpha Wolf". Once that relationship is established with a dog, all else falls into place.

I agree, and don't tell him but i don't think my friend is the Alpha leader of that little pack, he cant really be when the dog disregard him in that way on a leash.
The dog is even on a body harness now as with a regular collar it just choke itself so it pass out, it have done that 3 times.

When the dog is off leash, it just run around us minding its own thing but still pretty close, and when we are in the forest and some other people get near you just have to whistle 1 time or call its name and the dog is at your leg at once.
Also out in the forest the dog don't go chasing the deer out there or track it, the tracking part the great dane in my sisters household would do at once and it would be a nightmare to call back the dog, but the great dane on leash it just take a little tug on the leash or a stern "NO" and she will disregard the deer trail at once.

Its not easy with those 4 legged little buggers, and i am no expert for sure cuz i never owned a dog myself.

Last edited:
Back