Looking for a First dash cam.

spik330

Reaction score
Country
Canada
With all the dash cameras on the market, I have no idea where to look for what I want and what is worth the money. My price range in about $100 - $200 CAD.
Things that it has to have.
--Quality camera for both night and day.
--Emergency Recording & Loop Recording
--small ish (nothing huge)
--200 ish degree swivel mount. (I want to be able to point it at driver or passenger windows if necessary)
--supports low temperature (at least -20C for the winter)
--Removeable (no hardwiring, M3 is okay)
--not trash user menu
Things that I want in order of wants
--Audio recording.
--Rear window camera (internal mounting module, not wired in, does not have to swivel)
--front camera battery for short time use (5-10 mins of use when not directly powered)

I was looking at the Aukey 170° 1080p Dash Cam DR01, as it is a fair price a mostly matches what I'm looking for. Is this the best I'm going to get for what I'm looking at my price range?

Edit 1:
Changed Rear camera to be Rear window camera.

Last edited:
Welcome to DCT @spik330 :)

Two of your qualifications are a bit at cross-purposes. Battery-equipped dashcams cannot be used below freezing temps; the Lithium-based battery cannot be safely charged below freezing and there's no temp sensors in these to deal with that. As long as you allow the cam's environment to warm above freezing before turning it on this might work as long as the listed specs of the cam for storage (non-use) temps are not exceeded. In more extreme climates cold or hot, a super-cap based cam is highly recommended, however these shut down immediately on ending of car power.

Not many cams have an integral rear-facing cam built in. Theser are generally known as "Taxi" or "Uber" cams. Even fewer of these are of decent or better quality. The only one I know of which currently satisfies all of your requirements would be the Vantrue N2 Pro which has only decent video- there's a color tint problem with these which has never been addressed but otherwise the vids are good daytime and OK at night. I'm currently using one as my primary cam and it's been trouble-free save for parking mode, which does not work at all with my particular unit. There's also the Transcend DrivePro 520 that has lower vid quality and is IMHO over-priced for what you get because of that. I'm not sure which Aukey cam you're looking at but AFAIK their 2-channel cams have a separate rear cam module, not built in. I am aware of another cam of this type which is in development but it hasn't reached even the beta-test stage yet so it may be awhile before it's available. All the rest I know of like these have inherent problems which preclude my recommending them.

Every cam choice is something of a compromise; none are going to be perfect in every regard. What I suggest is listing your priorities from the top most important down, then you can usually find something which will work for you if you can compromise on the less-important aspects. Of all cam types, the "Taxi" cams have the fewest selections available which are decent or better. If you can be satisfied with either a single-channel cam or a 2-channel with a seperate rear cam module you'll have both a much wider selection and better quality to choose from, but that's your decision to make. Most of what a dashcam can do for you happens in front so single-channel cams are enough for most folks. Nearly ideal is front and rear coverage. Or you can go wild like some of us do and cover all sides and angles with multiple cams. Your choice how far you want to go, but this can become an addicting hobby if you let it!

Phil

Blueskysea B2W, it doesn't have the battery but otherwise much better than the Vantrue N2 and Aukey DR01, it actually has Sony Starvis sensors for good night vision.

Only problem: not available yet, but worth the wait over those other two.

B2W might be a good idea, as i understand it will have some ability to turn one or both of its lenses L or R
And if Blueskysea have implemented the lessons learned from their first camera the B1W that in itself was not bad at all, then this new camera cant but be a pretty nice camera not least for the people also interested in footage of the cabin.

I still think the best option for a dual camera where one need to be on the cabin are the one with that camera on a short wire from the main camera on the windscreen, it give more flexibility to place it, and in my case i would put it on the stalk of my mirror as the side of that facing the cabin are flat.
IF ! that remote camera also had some L & R movement so you could turn it say 45 degrees to either side you would also have the ability to turn it towards side windows if something interesting pop up there.
But otherwise for pure cabin camera in my case that woudl be ideal as there are 0 things to block view and it is up high so the front seat headrests are as little as a problem it can be with those in place.

So i will have to agree with others, if it is not too urgent with the camera, it will probably be a good idea and wait a few months ( estimated ) until B2W are available.
I am not sure how far viofo are with their remote cabin cameras for their dual cameras, those i think will be a good option too if you are able to fab something up that allow for it to be aimed a little at the sides.

I am thinking one of the stick on ball mounts would be plenty for side 2 side movement, it are not that many degrees you need for all of the side window to be in sight.

My B1W on the mirror stalk, as you can see you can see some side window.

The B1w on the mirror stalk, in my car the ideal place for a cabin camera ( have dedicated side cameras so no need to swing cabin camera )
img_20180414_143857-jpg.37475

Last edited:
I am not sure how far viofo are with their remote cabin cameras for their dual cameras, those i think will be a good option too if you are able to fab something up that allow for it to be aimed a little at the sides.
The Viofo A129 IR is a good choice, but I think it is over budget and doesn't have rotation towards the door.

Yeah i forget budget, also don't know what price B2W will be.

Viofo and others going same route really should provide a little mount with a little flex in it, just a little flex like a ball mount will help so much in locations where you can put your camera, and also have it framed good.
Otherwise with just stick on, you are often doomed to make do with what you get, at least when it come to L & R framing.

I am thinking maybe mod a metal hinge, to not swing freely
Maybe 2 of those element's that are the legs on a gorilla pod ( sort of ball mounts )

Personally i would have no problem fabbing something up, but not all people have fabbing skills or tools in this day and age.

Viofo and others going same route really should provide a little mount with a little flex in it, just a little flex like a ball mount...
A ball mount is hard to put back in the right place after pointing it temporarily at the door, B2W has that sorted.

Yes something with a center "Click" would be preferable for something you do move now and then, but i don't personally feel it is the biggest problem with the fairly wide angles used, or a camera like B1W and others that have a screen so you can quickly tweak the exact angle at the next intersection where red light catch you out.

I would be good just eyeballing it, and comfortable if its a camera within easy reach on my mirror stalk or the windscreen.

Wow, This is more of a response than I expected. Thanks for all the info, I'm definitely going to check theses out.
I added an edit to the original post, When I said "Rear camera" I meant a rear window camera, so I can see who's behind me, not a cabin camera.

Wow, This is more of a response than I expected. Thanks for all the info, I'm definitely going to check theses out.
I added an edit to the original post, When I said "Rear camera" I meant a rear window camera, so I can see who's behind me, not a cabin camera.
Maybe you had better clarify what you mean by "not wired in" then, because all rear window cameras appear to need a wire!

Okay then you would want a regular dual channel dashcam, which quite a few make nowadays.
Cheapest one here probably the viofo A129 duo

You are better off using your mirror or turn your head, the cars behind you appear small on camera LCD due to the wide angle lens dashcams use, and also the LCD screen on most dashcams are almost stamp sized.
BUT ! as far as i know none of the Dual systems have it so you can turn the front camera to face the side windows, and as i said above if you go by one of the "pocket shooter" shaped cameras that cam be turned, well then it are often hard to install those reasonable stealthy on the windscreen.
Cant you make do with just the audio of what ever is at your window ? he / she / they will be immortalized probably by your rear camera when they approach the car.

Back