looking for a good cam 1440p and up with 100° or less viewing angel

Esong

Reaction score
Country
United States
Title basically sums it up.
I have searched but cant seem to locate any. Do they make dash cams with user replaceable lens's ? I really do not like the image distortion of the ultra wide viewing angles.

Yes they do. Do a search for M12 low/no distortion lenses, preferably on a web site that sells from China like Aliexpress.

The Mini 2pm has a 140 degree wide angle view, which is not what the OP wants

It's all in the detail !

" I really do not like the image distortion of the ultra wide viewing angles ."

Inevitably wide angle lenses give 'fish eye' distortion he's trying to avoid it by going narrow , but you need 140° to see the full width of the road .

The best of both worlds and 1440P .

Last edited:

I've noticed some of the Ambarella-equipped cams correct for the fisheye distortion digitally. Works quite well too, judging from the videos I've seen.

I have to agree with Esong on distortion, I see no value in it whatsoever. However if that's your cup of tea so to speak, I have absolutely no problem with that either.

I have to agree with Esong on distortion, I see no value in it whatsoever. However if that's your cup of tea so to speak, I have absolutely no problem with that either.
The only 'value' is that a lens with distortion is usually cheaper than one without.

Thank you for all the help.

Lola and TonyM, those were really good suggestions and I may do that for my other car.

But for now I think I am just going to make a cam using a Raspberry pie 3 B+ it looks like it might be fun and I should be able to get the video quality I am looking for.

Thanks for the help =)

Thank you for all the help.

Lola and TonyM, those were really good suggestions and I may do that for my other car.

But for now I think I am just going to make a cam using a Raspberry pie 3 B+ it looks like it might be fun and I should be able to get the video quality I am looking for.

Thanks for the help =)

You are very welcome. I hope you succeed in your endeavor. Drop back by sometimes and let us know how things are going with your Raspberry.:):cool:

for now I think I am just going to make a cam using a Raspberry pie 3 B+ it looks like it might be fun and I should be able to get the video quality I am looking for.

Thanks for the help =)
I don't think I've seen a dashcam built on the Pi before. I'm sure there will be quite a few people here interested in this project.

Good luck, and please share with us how you get on.

I don't think I've seen a dashcam built on the Pi before. I'm sure there will be quite a few people here interested in this project.

there have been a couple already, was even a kickstarter for a commercial version based on the Pi, not sure if it ever got funded though

It's all in the detail !

Inevitably wide angle lenses give 'fish eye' distortion he's trying to avoid it by going narrow , but you need 140° to see the full width of the road .
I don't like the fish eye or distortion view. What is the recommended degrees to avoid this?

You can have 140° , 140 is good as it gets all the road width in , just choose a camera with a lense that corrects the distortion .

s-l1000.jpg

Back