Looking for Advise

RicRat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello!
We are interested in purchasing a dashcam and kind of overwhelmed with the many available models. Thanks in advance for any recommendations you can give.

Our top preferences are as follows:
1. Video image quality. Both day and night to capture as much detail as possible.
2. Ability to turn camera to the sides. To capture images of Ragers, police officers, etc.
3. Reasonable cost. I realize you have to pay for quality products, but if you have the funds to pay $4000, why not pay $3500 if you can.

Do not plan to leave in vehicle. We have Smash & Grab here. The camera and your window would both disappear. Even a mount left in sight would warrant some to smash your window to see if the device is in the console or glovebox.
Don't need GPS or a lot of extras.

Thanks again!

OK, after reading till my eyes are bleeding and my head hurts, guess we will go with something like the GitUp.
Thanks for all your help, you guys are awesome!!

hehe yeah there is a lot out there.

And what you ask for kinda conflict with each other cuz most good dashcams are not on a mount that can swivel around, watching American TV and movies i am more inclined to say get a rear camera as that should make a good capture of the cop walking up to your car.
Most wedge shaped cameras hide well on a windscreen, not least if its one with a dotted area on top, then they often look like the now almost normal rain sensors and what not.
If you go for one of the gitup action cameras you should go for the git1 as it do the best with low light and its fine 1080p footage should be just fine for dash / in car recordings.
The git2 are the better choice if you was looking for a predominantly action camera use.

Here are my last pull over, captured front and rear on the mini 0906 dual channel camera i am testing and which the makers will soon release to the masses.

There is also a little from my R side camera.

you could use the wired rear camera of any dual channel camera as a spare on the dash you can point at anything, it is quite small about 1/3 the size of a matchbox, far smaller than most action cameras, and it have a good low light sensor in the rear camera too.

I like the Git1 :D It's only real drawback is that it is powered by a LiPo battery which will not withstand the summer heat in the SE US where I live because I leave my cams mounted and don't run A/C much, but if you cover those things it should do OK even in hotter climates :)

If you get a good one (and that is a bigger gamble than ever before) the G1W-C is pretty good and reasonably priced. I personally prefer the G1W-S for it's much better low-light performance though it is somewhat lacking of image quality in the daytime. Look for the Viofo brand with these ;) You might also consider the original Mobius with an appropriate mount (sold separately). It can have super-caps added easily, is tiny, and ultra-reliable but somewhat lacking in low-light due to it's old design. I think there are mounts which clip on to your sun visor for it which would make removal and installation a breeze, but a suction-cup mount would also work.

These are all cheaper cams but good performers and good values. There may be better-performing choices but it's best to understand that no dash or action cam is going to give consistently great vids, especially license plate captures. And IMHO price alone does not indicate video performance with these small cams :( There are some pricey cams that do little better or even no better than ones at half their cost; most of the difference is in the features they offer. You don't get what you don't pay for but ypu can easily pay a lot more than some of these cams are really worth in terms of video performance :rolleyes:

Phil

Thank you for your replies.
I will research your recommendations.

Back