Looking for affordable full HD front & back dashcam

I just replaced a CF-100 with a generic A118-C with the newer 96655 chip for about $80 US from an Ebay seller.

Where can we see the videos and where can we buy it?

I live in the heat, so that's why I went with a capacitor based solution, but the CF-100 melted, literally. I almost burned my hand one day when I went to adjust the angle because the pivot ball nut had loosened. It got to the point I couldn't get the SD card out anymore. It still worked, but the plastic housing was deforming to the point it looks like the Dali melting clock painting. At least I was able to run the new rear camera cable by using the old cable. Hopefully the new one holds up.

I'm in Denver. It gets hot here but not like Arizona or Miami or Dallas. And I always keep the windows cracked open in the summer. I think the CF-100 is rated for 158 degrees. How could it even do that?

There are several on Ebay and Amazon, mine was using Ebays 20% off a couple of weeks ago, then waiting for shipping from China. It gets a lot hotter in a parked car in the sun than most people realize, then add a black box in the windshield, it can easily get there, like I said, I almost got burns on my fingers.20160418_111000.jpg

Attachments

• 20160418_110925.jpg
    508 KB · Views: 1
Where can we see the videos and where can we buy it?

I'm in Denver. It gets hot here but not like Arizona or Miami or Dallas. And I always keep the windows cracked open in the summer. I think the CF-100 is rated for 158 degrees. How could it even do that?
There are several on Ebay and Amazon, mine was using Ebays 20% off a couple of weeks ago, then waiting for shipping from China. It gets a lot hotter in a parked car in the sun than most people realize, then add a black box in the windshield, it can easily get there, like I said, I almost got burns on my fingers.View attachment 22472

There are several on Ebay and Amazon, mine was using Ebays 20% off a couple of weeks ago, then waiting for shipping from China. It gets a lot hotter in a parked car in the sun than most people realize, then add a black box in the windshield, it can easily get there, like I said, I almost got burns on my fingers.View attachment 22472

Why wouldn't any unit do that, then?

There have been several comments I've read on 'the interwebs' that mentioned the CF-100 not standing up to the heat, specifically the plastic case. I had it installed for about a year. My example just adds to those stories, but as always, YMMV. The other heat issues are for the battery/capacitor in warmer climates like where I live. The CF-100 was still recording, still had the blue LED's and GPS working, I didn't need/care about a video screen on the unit itself. I liked that I could review the front/rear video and mapping, but the plastic case was just not holding up, that's why I switched to a 'newer' dashcam. I usually go for 1 or 2 generations on tech, much cheaper, and the A118-c with the new 96655 chip is supposed to have better specs and heat tolerance as well. But both of these cameras are several years old.

I still think a sub- $100 dash cam is only really there for evidence in case you go to court for an accident. I only have it because my deductible is high and I want proof if that ever happens. I learned at a young age that the courts are anything but 'just,' but if you have proof like video, then you can reasonably protect yourself from the unethical assholes in life. If you want license plates, your going to need to look in the $300 and up range and the brand new tech. But if your looking for cheaper options, then you look at stuff like I do.

There have been several comments I've read on 'the interwebs' that mentioned the CF-100 not standing up to the heat, specifically the plastic case. I had it installed for about a year. My example just adds to those stories, but as always, YMMV. The other heat issues are for the battery/capacitor in warmer climates like where I live. The CF-100 was still recording, still had the blue LED's and GPS working, I didn't need/care about a video screen on the unit itself. I liked that I could review the front/rear video and mapping, but the plastic case was just not holding up, that's why I switched to a 'newer' dashcam. I usually go for 1 or 2 generations on tech, much cheaper, and the A118-c with the new 96655 chip is supposed to have better specs and heat tolerance as well. But both of these cameras are several years old.

I still think a sub- $100 dash cam is only really there for evidence in case you go to court for an accident. I only have it because my deductible is high and I want proof if that ever happens. I learned at a young age that the courts are anything but 'just,' but if you have proof like video, then you can reasonably protect yourself from the unethical assholes in life. If you want license plates, your going to need to look in the $300 and up range and the brand new tech. But if your looking for cheaper options, then you look at stuff like I do.

The SG9665GC is $300 for just a single front view unit. Whew.

Ah, I just found one on Ebay with that A118-c with the new 96655 chip, for $81, and a dual unit, at that! Hong Kong:

ARECORD B40D Dual Lens Car Dash Camera Super Capacitor Video Recorder 1080P

But no Sony sensor - 3M in this case. No idea how decent...

Here's a night video of the SG9665GC with 96655 and Sony sensor:

Last edited:
Not impressed with this one:

Now I'm seeing some of these videos cautioning that YouTube re-samples video, so it may lose some detail. Jeez...

Xiaomi Yi Car DVR build in WIFI

ARECORD B40D Dual Lens Car Dash Camera Super Capacitor Video Recorder 1080P

But no Sony sensor - 3M in this case. No idea how decent......
Rear camera is only 640x480.

This one looks like it has it all.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00U0OJMYG
The main problem that I keep seeing with the videos from this, are what they call the blown out upper tonal issue, or brighter parts of the video saturating everything?

Is the driver using headlights?

But this is terrible. Has it been resolved?

Lets just hope when you find the solution all the other brands with the same issue dont just copy all your hard work.

I think we resolved it was a general issue of the IMX322 sensor thats so popular.

Lets just hope when you find the solution all the other brands with the same issue dont just copy all your hard work.

I think we resolved it was a general issue of the IMX322 sensor thats so popular.

I'm sure it can be improved

O yeah i feel confident too, and thank god daytime is where you have the most room to make ajustment.

The thing is, I don't have time to wait. I need what they call the "most bang for the buck", now.

The SG9665GC needs auto-exposure control and the CF-100, which was so tempting because of price, sometimes melts from heat. <SIGH>

Hmmm, I just had an idea for the CF-100. The case is plain old plastic, right? What about getting some plain old hobby model enamel ( Testors? ) from a hobby shop and painting the case white? Black absorbs heat from the sun, white reflects heat.

No, wait... then the white might reflect in the dash, while driving, and get into the video. Hmm... maybe a black outer sheet of plastic or something - like a shield. Have to think some more about this... group?

Last edited:
Back