Looking for an inexpensive, reliable, suction cup, supercapacitor based cam available in UK

Kip

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
JooVuu X, Shadow GT550WS, Blacksys CF-100 (dead & gone)
Well, I haven't posted here in a long time...

I've been tasked by a family member to find them a decent dashcam. As per the title, they require a suction cup mount (it will not be hardwired) and something fairly inexpensive. Of course it needs to be reliable and I'd rather they had a supercapacitor so that in a couple of years from now they don't bother me with all the usual issues battery cams can sometimes develop. They don't need fancy bells and whistles, just something simple that works as they don't really do tech stuff very well.

The best option I've come across so far seems to be the Aukey DR01 at £49.99 (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B01LWN99YA) which seems to tick all the boxes other than reliability which I am unsure of. I know Aukey have been around a little while now but I have no experience with or knowledge of any of their cams.

Looking for advice on the above camera and also if there are any other options I should consider. I haven't had the need to shop for a dashcam for a few years now so I'm totally out of the loop as to what is now available.

There is the new Blueskysea B2K for a little more, it comes with a 2K Sony STARVIS sensor so will be considerably better image quality than the Aukey. Still a bit new though, not sure what availability really is at the moment (I know nothing of the linked supplier), and I don't see it on Amazon UK yet.

Another option is to get a camera with sticky pad and stick it to a general purpose suction cup with flat mounting surface, that will give you more choice.

Thanks Nigel. I can't seem to find what you're talking about though. I know about those discs as an old sat nav I have came with one. I can't seem to find a suction cup with anything other than the usual ball end or a tripod mount, and they look pretty bulky.

Back