Looking for BEST quality night time dash cam

Claudine

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi. I'm new to dash cams and am looking to purchase one that works the best at night (as in reading license plates and can tell green arrows from green lights (side by side light). I just bought a Magellen and the green arrow and solid circle light form 1 light, as well as I can't read plates. I do most of my driving at night, so this feature is the most important. A lot of cams had bad plate readings. So far google search has yielded: AmorTek AT-7 and Rexing V6. Both online vids seem good, but I can't find a whole lot of info and unbiased Amazon reviews. I was debating buying both (1 for front, 1 for back) but figured I'd save money by asking on this site instead. I'd rather go with majority views.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
those cameras will be ok at night but not great, look for models that use Sony Exmor CMOS sensor if you want better night performance

Look at the night-time comparison vids posted here for the SG cams vs other types; the SG is something of a standard we use for comparison since it does pretty good at night. And ditto using a Sony CMOS, lesser ones don't compare.

Garmin, Cobra, Polaroid and other similar brands of dashcams usually either under-perform or are overpriced for what they offer or both. People will recognize the name and buy because of that, and that is these companies marketing plan in toto. Better cams are made with lower pricing. Check user-reviews on the forums here, most of us have some experience with dashcams unlike many 'in-house' reviewers found on Amazon or a seller's site. More honesty is found here!

Phil

Can anyone recommend a make/model? So far I've looked into Street Guardian, Thinkware, Panorama. The pic seems really great for all 3- but the plates are blurry (one vid showed plates 2 lanes over, but not the plate in front). These were vids found on Utube and Amazon.
Please advise, if I'm going to spend money, I'd like it to be good!!!! Thanks again!!!

Can anyone recommend a make/model? So far I've looked into Street Guardian, Thinkware, Panorama. The pic seems really great for all 3- but the plates are blurry (one vid showed plates 2 lanes over, but not the plate in front). These were vids found on Utube and Amazon.
Please advise, if I'm going to spend money, I'd like it to be good!!!! Thanks again!!!
SG9665GC is the standard that I would compare with anything available. Night time is a challenge for any of them. Welcome to the forum Claudine :) @Pier28 in the US provides the best service and support that you are going to find anywhere. Comparing these cameras online are very subjective. Real world is where they are separated.

Regardless of how much you spend no camera will catch plates under all situations at night, there are ones that do better of course but all have their limitations

Here is a night video example for reference so you can compare and contrast the difference between the Aptina in a popular B40/A118 and SG Sony sensor.

Being that you're in the US, there isn't going to be a cam out there that can do an absolute bang of a job at reading plates at night. It comes down to the fact that most are just too reflective. This of course will depend on the state and if it's a specialty plate etc.

Off topic: I've actually been meaning to test a theory; less direct light = better visual. I have daytime running lights, so I'm going to see if turning off my headlights and turning those on would produce better results (in a safe manner of course.) Obviously there will be many factors; how low the lights are, are they LED, is the car in front lowered, raised, have both license plate lights working etc. I've also been trying to get in the habit of voicing plates of questionable drivers JUST in case. While I was on a long road trip some trucks/cars went flying past (racing or road rage) and then some 20 minutes later I came up on an accident and couldn't help but wonder if it was the crazy drivers from earlier.

Back on topic: The Street Guardian and the DOD (not sure which one, someone has it on the forums) have some of the best night recordings I've seen. I haven't been around long, but it seems the Street Guardian has more support though and is less expensive and in turn to me seems like the optimal choice. I don't really like the form factor of either, but the SG is more desirable.

Back