Looking for best replacement for DR-200 Dualcamera DVR

WebDragon

Reaction score
Country
Bahrain
Hi,

I recently purchased a DR-200 Dual Cam and have been testing it. Though the price is obviously high, I liked the simplicity of its "plug in and forget" operation and its feature rich package. Unlike most buyers of Dual Cam DVRs, I actually need the rear camera to view the occupants of the car and not really interested in rear view recording. The DR-200 does that perfectly.

However, the problem I've had with the DR-200, besides the fact that the GPS wouldn't work, was its outdated software. The software package would constantly crash at the slightest provocation and I could find no support or fixes for it. Couple that with the decidedly average front view cam, and that put me in the market for a better one.

So I'm looking for the wise members of dashcamtalk to recommend some alternatives. My requirements are:

Must Have:
* Dual cam, front plus rear for passenger monitoring
* Good quality day and night video
* Loop recording
* Power from vehicle for continuous operation (Cig lighter acceptable)
* Capability of password protecting the video data
* Reliable software and support
* Support for high capacity memory for longer video times

Would be Nice:
* Voice recording
* GPS
* G sensor for Event recording
* Easy to install
* Both cams in one unit.

I'm really getting confused with all the similarly named brands and models and the exaggerated specs on most of the cams out there and would be very appreciative of someone giving me some advice on this matter.

Thanks

I registered here just to second this request. I don't see why a passenger/cabin facing camera isn't more of a standard feature. The DR-200 really looks to be the only choice right now. I would love to see more models with a good microphone and low-light cabin camera with IR illumination; like the DR-200. This would be invaluable in a police encounter. If anyone knows of similar dash cams please chime in!

I'm here for the same reason as the above two. I was on the fence about registering, but this post was the catalyst.

I'm also replacing a DR-200, but because it failed. I wasn't all that happy with it for multiple reasons, like the G sensor that could not be adjusted and was rather sensitive. I like the self contained application, and the second camera made for catching things in blind spot driving situations a plus, but the resolution and night time capture was moderate to less. At this point, I'm open to suggestions and will be looking for a replacement very soon if not immediately.

So, for lack of a better comment: bump, tag and +1.

The closest one I can think of is the X3000, but it's 720p and not that great quality, and no IR lights on the inside.

I dont know any good dash cam that meets your request.
My advice is to buy two separate one. Front fullhd with latest cpu, cmos and other exrta options you requested. Can be mounted discreetly behind the rearview mirror. Separate interior mini dash cam can be 720pHD with IR leds. For interior will be enough HD due to too close objects recording.
Having two separate dash cams will not overload a cpu, compared to 2 in 1 dash cam where one cpu get "bombarded" by data from both cameras.
Tell me your budget, so I will see what solutions to offer for you for your choice to think.

I too have a DR-200. Bought it new for $60 at a garage sale, but only because I had been looking at it on the web at SpyTechs.com for a while. Just lucking finding one locally that was still in the box.

The software works fine on my Windows XP computers (3 different ones) and while the video isn't the best, I really like the rear facing and audio features, plus the GPS speed and location in the software. Someone needs to update this unit with higher quality cams and it would be a winner I think.

One of my first cams was a t-eye, only 480 but not too shabby pics - although I never did like the interior recording. Within about 6 months of installing it I was in a prang.
Fortunately, you could 'just' make out the other car zooming along - but only just, and why I prefer the second cam to be remote so I can have it in the rear window.
but each to their own.
That said, even a remote cam can be used to record inside the car.

Back