Looking for better/best quality picture dash cam

HETPE3B

Reaction score
Country
United States
I started with Cobra 840 from Costco. Played with it for a week. Didn't like the picture at all. Returned.
Actual raw video from my cam:
I did purchase DOD LS460w. Played for a couple days. Didn't like a picture, especially for the money paid (don't understand the people who says 460 is the best cam ever :) ). Return in progress.

What next? What camera picture will not disappoint me? I was thinking, that $200+ cameras should be top of the line. Now I don't what to think :)
I would like to see crisp picture, where I can read the license plates at least from close driving cars in the front and on the sides. Good night shooting.

Form factor of the camera doesn't really matter much (with or without LCD, if without LCD then with WiFi). Would be nice too to have a good customer/product support.

GPS is a must (preferably built in, not as a addon option).

Currently considering 1ch dash cam, but if there is very good option for 2ch system - can consider it as well.

The budget.. Well, if it is outstanding camera it can be $300+

Until you improve the readability of your USA license plates you will have a problem finding any dashcam that meets your specification!

This is from my mini 0806 dashcam:

9098978_orig.jpg

But those are UK plates, it wont work that well with USA plates, or when moving at speed.

It's WDR will do a better job than in either of your clips but I don't think overall it will do much better than your second clip, unless you clean your windows first, it is cheaper though!

My main concern is that the video from LS460W is not focused especially during the day (the beginning of the video). I guess it is focused on the dashboard, because dashboard looks pretty good on the video :)

My main concern is that the video from LS460W is not focused especially during the day (the beginning of the video). I guess it is focused on the dashboard, because dashboard looks pretty good on the video :)
If a fixed focus camera is focused too close then it does tend to get worse in the heat of the day. You would think at that price they would get it right, but focusing a fixed focus camera is a manual process that doesn't always get done perfectly. If you want it perfect then do it yourself! Some cameras are better at keeping focus in hot weather than others so if you live somewhere very hot then do some research first.

Are you saying, that the focus can be manually adjuster in those (I understand disassembling is required)?
Sometimes it'g getting up to 40c here, so yes, working conditions for the camera are tough sometimes.

Just made a screenshot. Dash looks pefect. Cars and buildings are far from focus.

Attachments

• focus.jpg
    focus.jpg
    483.8 KB · Views: 13
Are you saying, that the focus can be manually adjuster in those (I understand disassembling is required)?
Sometimes it'g getting up to 40c here, so yes, working conditions for the camera are tough sometimes.
I don't know about that particular camera but nearly all dashcams have a fixed focus lens that can be manually focused simply by screwing it in or out, the only difficulty being some glue that was put on the thread when it was originally focused which can normally be freed with a bit of heat and sometimes with the help of a knife - do a search.

I suspect if you do a search for that camera model and "focus issue" you might find a few people that have had issues in the past but I don't follow that particular brand so it might be imagination/poor memory...

If you often get near 40C outside temperature then my mini 0806 above is not recommended, at least not until the next version arrives with a capacitor instead of a battery.

Search on this forum didn't show any results - did anybody use e-prance b47 or B48 model? 1080p, 60fps. YouTube day videos looks nice and smooth.

Back