Looking for dash cam with night vision and large display (removable?)

I think you are missing the point: this is a night vision camera. so you look at the screen to see in the dark.
it just happens to have a dashcam feature as well
(their first model was night vision only)

I would assume as it let you see things further away in low light, it would also have a narrower FOV lens that would actually let you see those things.
It dont matter if the sensor can resolve a person 50 M in front of your car if the wide angle lens make sure he is just 4 pixels tall in the footage.

You should not be driving if you can't see.

Indeed, also what i say when people are misusing their fog light, or run aftermarket illegal light bulbs.

I think you are missing the point: this is a night vision camera. so you look at the screen to see in the dark.
it just happens to have a dashcam feature as well
(their first model was night vision only)

This camera isn't going to help you see or make out objects you most likely cannot see on your own. The definition is horrible. The images are blurry. Clearly, if you cannot see enough to drive at night, then this camera isn't going to improve upon the problem.

I don't think I'd want a person staring at a screen instead of out the windshield to navigate while driving. Unlike a GPS, you're alluding the point of the screen + camera is to be your second set of eyes. With even the slightest bit of movement, this camera is enough to give you vertigo with the blurry images and extreme brightness. Meaning, the person using the night vision feature is creating more of a danger to other people on the road by staring at the screen!

Last edited:
Well that IS exactly what the camera does . especially when driving in complete dark, it's pretty amazing what the camera picks up
And for this purpose the image is good enough.
You do not need to stare at the screen. to have it on the side it shows you what's happening way ahead of you ( how a road is winding for instance).
It's an aid, not something that you want to use because you yourself can't see anything...

Well that IS exactly what the camera does . especially when driving in complete dark, it's pretty amazing what the camera picks up
And for this purpose the image is good enough.
You do not need to stare at the screen. to have it on the side it shows you what's happening way ahead of you ( how a road is winding for instance).
It's an aid, not something that you want to use because you yourself can't see anything...

I presume people use headlights in France? So I don't see the benefit of this camera what so ever. If you can't see with the headlights turned on, I don't think the driver should be on the road in the first place. This camera's very poor definition really isn't going to aid that all too well.

You'd be better off investing in some night vision goggles than seeing a bunch of pixelated and motion blurred images.

My only assumption to this cameras practicality is if someone hits you in complete darkness, you might pick up the shape of the car. Enough to satisfy the insurance company.

We are going round in circles. *I* have actually tried the camera in the car, so NO, it's not looking at a bunch of blurred pixels.

We are going round in circles. *I* have actually tried the camera in the car, so NO, it's not looking at a bunch of blurred pixels.

Is the video you posted highly compressed? As the footage shown here was nothing spectacular. Soon as you began to drive, there was a ton of motion blur that made it hard to see images clearly.

i am not talking about the dashcam footage . that's pretty **** and NOT why I bought the camera (i have a U1000 for that) .

If you are in the car and look at the screen, then things are extremely clear to see.

(Of course it's difficult to judge from the video, since I'm filming the screen with my iphone, while driving)

I don't see myself using this on the motorway, but definitely on nightly drives through the mountains.

I don't see myself using this on the motorway, but definitely on nightly drives through the mountains.

That is exactly how I could see using a camera like this as I drive in a rural/mountainous environment like this daily. It would be useful to be able to see an animal (like a bear or deer or neighbors loose cow) or an object (like a fallen tree) way in the road out beyond where my headlights can really illuminate things on a dark country road at night even if you couldn't immediately tell exactly what it was. In addition, I occasionally encounter a pedestrian walking along the dark roads at night and if they are wearing dark clothing it can be difficult to see them from a distance even with bright headlights. And not too long ago, coming up the back side of the mountain at night I came upon a rock slide and the road was nearly impassable. The thing about it was that it was difficult to discern what was in the road until I got pretty close to it. All of these scenarios could benefit from having night vision capabilities. But I agree that it would make little sense to use such a camera on a motorway full of cars or on a city street.

What I am really interested in learning more about is the technology that allows this camera to do what it does. I'd be interested to learn more about the claims that it works in foggy inclement weather as well. That would be far more interesting than seeing these repetitive, seemingly gratuitous challenges to the camera itself.

i am not talking about the dashcam footage . that's pretty **** and NOT why I bought the camera (i have a U1000 for that) .

If you are in the car and look at the screen, then things are extremely clear to see.

(Of course it's difficult to judge from the video, since I'm filming the screen with my iphone, while driving)

Now I'm confused. So was the footage below taken directly from the camera itself or recorded off the screen with your Iphone? The camera states it supports up to a 128GB capacity, so why wouldn't you take the video below directly from the camera? And why would you film with your Iphone?

Because the video below (if captured from your Iphone) doesn't show us the true quality and then makes it hard to judge.

That is exactly how I could see using a camera like this as I drive in a rural/mountainous environment like this daily. It would be useful to be able to see an animal (like a bear or deer or neighbors loose cow) or an object (like a fallen tree) way in the road out beyond where my headlights can really illuminate things on a dark country road at night even if you couldn't immediately tell exactly what it was. In addition, I occasionally encounter a pedestrian walking along the dark roads at night and if they are wearing dark clothing it can be difficult to see them from a distance even with bright headlights. And not too long ago, coming up the back side of the mountain at night I came upon a rock slide and the road was nearly impassable. The thing about it was that it was difficult to discern what was in the road until I got pretty close to it. All of these scenarios could benefit from having night vision capabilities. But I agree that it would make little sense to use such a camera on a motorway full of cars or on a city street.

What I am really interested in learning more about is the technology that allows this camera to do what it does. I'd be interested to learn more about the claims that it works in foggy inclement weather as well. That would be far more interesting than seeing these repetitive, seemingly gratuitous challenges to the camera itself.

Viewing videos from other people, what you says does make sense. And the lamodo appears to work from videos posted by people not filming from their iphone? on youtube.

that clip is directly from the camera and taken in a well lit city.
So can understand the confusion, because
A) you don't need night vision here, and
B) the camera records a crappy image.

The other clip I filmed with my iphone, in order to see the difference between your own vision and that of the camera.
But maybe it's not the best way to see the difference...

My dashcam setup in one of my cars is such that both the front cam (Aukey DR02) and the rear cam (Mobius with a modified lens) are both connected to my factory nav screen via a/v ports. The setup alows me to switch easily between each cam, stereo, nav, and other car and entertainment features, including the ability to mirror my iPhone. Not suggesting that this scenario would achieve what you’re looking for, but it might be informative to you in some way.

Note in my video below @00:25 taken at 3AM on a semi-country road that the Mobius seems to illuminate the road behind me far better than the brief shot from my iPhone 6s. This was taken 4 years ago, so I can’t remember if that road is really that dark (I no longer live in that state) or if this is the result of a poor camera. In any case, the Mobius illuminates the road nicely (while the Aukey oversaturates). I still have the same car/camera setup so I may do a couple of targeted tests to see if I’ll see similar results on a comparatively dark road, but this time with a better camera for night vision (iPhone 13 Pro) for comparison.

I’m also thinking of taking one of my $25 internet-connected Wyze cams which have a decent IR setting for night vision for the ride. I would tether the cam to my phone’s hotspot to get the internet feed from Wyze, then mirror it to the nav screen via the Wyze phone app, effectively producing a similar result wirelessly. I’d probably have to stick the Wyze cam out the window to prevent the IR reflection on the windshield.

So, in theory, if something like that works, that could mean myriad relatively cheap alternatives, though probably neither elegant nor practical and not necessarily for dashcam/recoding purposes (cheap IR camera, mounted outside on car/front grille, connected to some sort of nav screen/iPad inside, etc.).

Screenshots

Attachments

• E4D7CDBF-54C4-4CF3-82A7-8F4922CB6B10.png
    E4D7CDBF-54C4-4CF3-82A7-8F4922CB6B10.png
    883.4 KB · Views: 2
  • D73F5AA9-AE5A-412C-A2AB-0F5DA907063B.png
    D73F5AA9-AE5A-412C-A2AB-0F5DA907063B.png
    594.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
The Mobius cam looks impressive on your onboard nav screen, especially considering that it's not a camera known for outstanding night footage in most circumstances. I'm assuming your aftermarket lens mod is enhancing the look of the nightime footage. Perhaps you're using a starlight lens?....but it almost seems as if the Nav screen is somehow enhancing the looks of the footage too. Either way, it's a cool and unique set-up!

Back