Looking for detachable or dash mounted cam

Atxdash

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all,

First post but have been lurking for a bit. I currently have a cheap $50 dash cam that I like just fine but looking to improve with a front and back camera. Most importantly, I need a front facing one that is either detachable to it's windshield mount or can mount to my dash attachment which will have a 20mm ball (see pic). I live in Texas and I need the ability to use my sunshade and I'm tired of having to undo the suction attachment in the morning to put the sun shade up at work and then put it back up when I'm headed home. Budget isn't really a concern.

Thanks for any assistance.
B

Attachments

• IMG_20210904_151122.jpg
    IMG_20210904_151122.jpg
    409.8 KB · Views: 13
Welcome to DCT @Atxdash :)
Most dashcams use a mount which the cam can detach from but not many are really meant to have this done on a daily basis. Still there are some which can do this well. There are several single-channel cams where the power cable goes to the mount making detachment easy but many will need the power cable pulled from the cam too. Multi-channel cams will have the rear cam cable plugged into the cam even if it's powered through the mount rendering this less convenient to do.

As the requirement you gave covers lots of cams let's narrow things down ;) Are you wanting a 2-channel cam? Do you want great video quality front and rear, or is something less for the rear cam acceptable? Are you wanting a cam which can be turned to the sides in use, or is one that does only a frontal view OK? And what's your top budget?

Although we call them "Dashcams" they don't work well there for a number of reasons, and a high center mounting on the windshield is best. Almost all dashcams are designed specifically for a windshield mounting, and mounting to the dash might require some DIY fabrication. Most windshield mounts are compact and will not interfere with putting up a sunshade with the camera removed. This can also be done with thin magnets. Rather than remove the cam, some folks cut the sunshade to slip under it in situ. It is important to never have the cam between the sunshade and the windshield but it's OK to use a sunshade as long as the cam is on the interior side of it.

Phil

In addition to all of what @SawMaster said some camera designs (wedge and tubular) lend themselves fairly well to mounting on the sensor housing that's common on many newer vehicles. This would most likely leave sufficient room to slide the sunhade between the windshield and camera.

Your best bet would be like an A129 Duo or A129 Duo Plus (if hardwired you get real time live recording). Street Guardian also has a very solid reputation. You could put in a front and rear camera, and just take off their mounts when not in use.

For a front only camera, try the Viofo A119 V3. Easily detachable from mount.

You can't take the rear camera off on an A129 Pro Duo (there is no rear separate mount). However, taking the front camera/recording unit off is very easy - unplug rear camera from front unit, then slide off (gps) / power mount..

Thanks all for your thoughtful replies. I didn't consider making a hole in the shade for the camera, that would probably be the easiest solution. /Facepalm.

I'm thinking dual channel and now that I think of it probably something that can monitor parking. Which means I should probably go with the cutting the sun shade idea. My truck had the bumper swiped a few months ago and no one left a note, naturally.

I have no need to remove the rear camera but my windows are tinted 20%. Not sure if that matters.

I'll take a look at the cameras you guys suggested, thanks for the help! @SawMaster @DT MI @HonestReview

Unfortunately most cams don't do parking mode well in high heats such as you'll experience in Austin. The best brand for high heats is Street Guardian, an Australian company who builds for the climate in his home market. The downside is that they are not up to date in resolution compared to others, but high resolution needs faster and more processor speed which makes more heat in the cam, and most high-res cams will shut down in high heats because of that. The SG cams do well enough for most folks and are the best-tuned cams for their specs in capturing details you need your dashcam to get. A bit pricey but the best customer service in the world and a solid high-quality product. They have a "dual remote" cam where the processor can be tucked away in a cool spot leaving only the cam modules in the windows, as well as a more standard 'wedge' cam for loss cost.

Phil

Thanks all for your thoughtful replies. I didn't consider making a hole in the shade for the camera, that would probably be the easiest solution. /Facepalm.

I'm thinking dual channel and now that I think of it probably something that can monitor parking. Which means I should probably go with the cutting the sun shade idea. My truck had the bumper swiped a few months ago and no one left a note, naturally.

I have no need to remove the rear camera but my windows are tinted 20%. Not sure if that matters.

I'll take a look at the cameras you guys suggested, thanks for the help! @SawMaster @DT MI @HonestReview

The A129 Duo will survive any Cold or Hot Day. Solid Choice if you don't mind 2 x 1080P cameras. That camera has never failed once in two vehicles.

Unfortunately most cams don't do parking mode well in high heats such as you'll experience in Austin. The best brand for high heats is Street Guardian, an Australian company who builds for the climate in his home market. The downside is that they are not up to date in resolution compared to others, but high resolution needs faster and more processor speed which makes more heat in the cam, and most high-res cams will shut down in high heats because of that. The SG cams do well enough for most folks and are the best-tuned cams for their specs in capturing details you need your dashcam to get. A bit pricey but the best customer service in the world and a solid high-quality product. They have a "dual remote" cam where the processor can be tucked away in a cool spot leaving only the cam modules in the windows, as well as a more standard 'wedge' cam for loss cost.

Phil

Per Above, the Viofo A129 Duos will survive any climate, but of course, is only 1080P Front and Rear. Still a solid performer none the less.

Per Above, the Viofo A129 Duos will survive any climate, but of course, is only 1080P Front and Rear. Still a solid performer none the less.
I noticed they have a 1440p option now but some of the reviews bang on it getting too hot. Should I stick with 1080 cause of the heat here in Texas?

@SawMaster thanks for the suggestion. Right now I'm leaning towards street guardian based on all the raving about the customer service.

I noticed they have a 1440p option now but some of the reviews bang on it getting too hot. Should I stick with 1080 cause of the heat here in Texas?

@SawMaster thanks for the suggestion. Right now I'm leaning towards street guardian based on all the raving about the customer service.

The A129 Duo or A129 Duo Plus. I run the 1080P duo and never had issue. I'm not sure if the A129 Duo Plus had problems. I do know the Pro version overheats so avoid that one. Maybe someone can chime in here on the Duo Plus.

Back