Looking for discreet camera

wraith19

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Mobius V3 C, Maplin M220
Looking for a small discreet camera to fit in a Peugeot 3008, there is a large unit in the top centre of the windscreen housing the auto wipers sensors etc. I need something small that may be able to mount on the windscreen under the unit or to the side behind the mirror, I have a small Maplin M220 bought as a present secured to the auto light housing but this comes down to low blocking part of the windscreen view and with UK law could end up with a fine, was looking at the 800 series but seems to be getting far more bad reviews, Any ideas would be welcome.

Looking for a small discreet camera to fit in a Peugeot 3008, there is a large unit in the top centre of the windscreen housing the auto wipers sensors etc. I need something small that may be able to mount on the windscreen under the unit or to the side behind the mirror, I have a small Maplin M220 bought as a present secured to the auto light housing but this comes down to low blocking part of the windscreen view and with UK law could end up with a fine, was looking at the 800 series but seems to be getting far more bad reviews, Any ideas would be welcome.

Welcome to DCT forum !
What is your budget and what are other requirements to dasham ( specifications etc. )

Budget no more than £200, needs to be small, if no screen then wifi so able to set up required image, was originally thinking of a 2 channel system, but now thinking of a single front camera and using the origional Maplin one as a rear independent cam as there is a power socket in the boot to connect to, just need something well made and reliable

Budget no more than £200, needs to be small, if no screen then wifi so able to set up required image, was originally thinking of a 2 channel system, but now thinking of a single front camera and using the origional Maplin one as a rear independent cam as there is a power socket in the boot to connect to, just need something well made and reliable

Can you make photos of RVmirror area to see how rain sensor looks like, then we can go with suggestions what suits your car best.

WP_20160214_006.jpg WP_20160214_005.jpg Photos of RV mirror unit in Peugeot 3008, also shows existing cheap Maplin camWP_20160214_001.jpg WP_20160214_001.jpg WP_20160214_002.jpg

View attachment 20942 View attachment 20943 Photos of RV mirror unit in Peugeot 3008, also shows existing cheap Maplin camView attachment 20940 View attachment 20940 View attachment 20941

I think @DT MI mounting solution is similar to how it would look in your car

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/off-centre-positioning.11844/#post-152641

frontmountinsideflashsmall-jpg.13896

frontmountoutsideflashsmall-jpg.13898

Looks about right, would possibly mount nearer the top of the windscreen, Like the idea of the street guardian with the separate units, but cant seem to find a uk seller, thought this may be a good solution and possibly installing a Mobius linked to it as a rear cam

Looks about right, would possibly mount nearer the top of the windscreen, Like the idea of the street guardian with the separate units, but cant seem to find a uk seller, thought this may be a good solution and possibly installing a Mobius linked to it as a rear cam

Read my signature or look at my avatar ;)

Looks about right, would possibly mount nearer the top of the windscreen,...
In looking at the pictures of your Peugeot I suspect that mounting a camera higher on the windscreen would also put it behind the sensor housing which would then put the housing itself in the video frame - possibly taking up quite a bit of the frame.

If you decide to go that route I'd suggest doing some sort of temporary mounting and record a short video to see how it would work out. Because of the design and placement of the housing and RVM you may have little choice but to mount the camera on the housing.

Have thought about that, looks like its going to be very difficult to position within UK law in this car originally thought about one of the 800 series, but these have very mixed review, then thought of a blackvue or a B40/A118, just need something small with built in gps, what ever cam it looks like it will have to be mounted off centre

I'm not sure I understand your concerns. If you were to mount a B40/A118/SG9665GC in the area of the red circle and the GPS antenna in the area of the green circle it would be less obtrusive than the current camera, and just as legal.

solution.jpg

After looking at it further it looks like it will have to be fitted to the housing as the wipers don't clear the top section just above the mirror, so it looks likely to be the solution.
Just found this supplier and cam https://www.joovuu.com/gb/car-cameras/299--matego-mg-600g-super-capacitor-1080p-car-camera-.html.
Think the best way to go is more likely a Mobius on a home made fixing as I've made a mock up of the size of it, put it in position and it blocked from the drivers view by the mirror

Finally fitted a Mobius, still needs some tinkering to get 100%, managed to mount on sensor unit using an old Brodit swivel unit, need to adapt it a bit more to get lens closer to screen as to much dash in viewWP_20160302_004.jpg WP_20160302_003.jpg WP_20160302_004.jpg WP_20160302_004.jpg WP_20160302_003.jpg

I hope you won't find a nasty surprise when you review the Mobius's night footage...

(...) need to adapt it a bit more to get lens closer to screen as to much dash in view.
Change the FOV to Narrow if you have it set to Wide. It's wide enough, has much less fish eye effect and the dash will "disappear" from the picture.

I hope you won't find a nasty surprise when you review the Mobius's night footage...

Change the FOV to Narrow if you have it set to Wide. It's wide enough, has much less fish eye effect and the dash will "disappear" from the picture.
Night time footage ok

Back