Looking For Discreet Dash Cam To Use with External Battery USB

Ghostfreak

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I know nothing about dash cams, have been reading a lot and watching a lot of videos but was hoping for some help. How many hours can I expect to get from a dash cam by pluggin in an external USB battery pack?

I'm looking for something simple, don't need any fancy features. Something that records and something that I wouldn't have to spend time installing with a bunch of wires and screws.

Could anyone help me out?

Welcome to DCT !
What is your budget ?

$150 max. But once again, not looking for fancy features. Just need something that records without blur. I don't even need a screen.

Thank you!

Practically all dashcams can record via external battery pack.
As I see one of your priorities is a discrete design, so I guess you want to leave it recording while car is parked.
Length of constant recording at 1080p / 30fps / 15Mbps bit-rate is approx: 32Gb = 4.5h, 64Gb = 8.5h
If you select motion detection recording while car is parked then of course you can record more. The only things to consider in regards to motion detection is that there are pause-and-resume recordings with 1-3sec delay start, so you may lose a vital data what happened prior it started recording, and there are pre-buffer recordings motion detection where 4-5 sec before action is added to ongoing "action" and saved. Discrete style daschcams with pre-buffer from local reputable reseller with good warranty and after-sales support cost slightly more.
So you have few choice to go in two directlions:
1. within your budget there are some good discrete style dashcams but they have pause-and-resume motion detection
2. increase your budget a little bit and go with pre-buffer motion detection recording dashcams.
3. within your budget is if use your dascham while car is parked in "normal / constant" recording, but as mentioned above the 64Gb will hold about 8.5h recording before it starts cycle recording. There is an option of 128Gb memory cards as well, if your budget allows this.

About power consumption: some premium class dashcams with pre-buffer recording consume 150-160mAh and low- or mid-class daschams consume around 300- and up mAh, but of coruse you need to check for each dascham model specs.

I've been using my JooVuu X (The one without a screen) with a 128GB card and an Anker battery back for parking most times since my outlets are not always on.
jAB4HVwm.jpg

zZ7K32Mm.jpg

I have it 3M dual locked to my Mirror, but you could also use one of these
N6cCcJIm.jpg

Again I use 3M Dual Lock so I can swap cameras easy, but it originally comes with 3M one time stick pad.

Last edited:
1. within your budget there are some good discrete style dashcams but they have pause-and-resume motion detection

Any suggestions? Also, not looking for something that records when I'm parked. Just when I'm moving.

Thank you for your suggestion CheckYourLights

Last edited:
[QUOTE="niko, post: 215381, member: 1443"
/QUOTE]

Any suggestions? Also, not looking for something that records when I'm parked. Just when I'm moving.

Thank you for your suggestion CheckYourLights
In your 1st post you wrote @ plugin to external battery pack. ?

In your 1st post you wrote @ plugin to external battery pack. ?

Ideally, I'm not an electrician and know nothing about cars. I've noticed in some of these videos mounting these dash cams requires removing pieces in the car and things. I don't want to be doing that.

Ideally, I'm not an electrician and know nothing about cars. I've noticed in some of these videos mounting these dash cams requires removing pieces in the car and things. I don't want to be doing that.
Ok. Now I see what you meant before @battery pack.

Most dashcams run from power supplied by car cigarette lighter socket. Only thing you need to do is to run charger power cable down the A-pillar, which is not hard job at all.

Within your budget discrete style dashcams: Mobius, B40 / A118, Maybe Mini 08xx, Mini 09xx - series, or Joovuu X, but last two are fresh release and need some time to gather more feedback.

I've noticed in some of these videos mounting these dash cams requires removing pieces in the car and things. I don't want to be doing that.
Most dashcams run from power supplied by car cigarette lighter socket. Only thing you need to do is to run charger power cable down the A-pillar, which is not hard job at all.

This.
Before I used to try all different kinds of cameras I had a Vico TF2 in my car, and I plugged it into the cig outlet and just sort of ran the cable under the roof liner and trim without taking anything off. You should be able to get your finger under enough to get the cable in there without taking anything off and keeping it from falling.

This.
Before I used to try all different kinds of cameras I had a Vico TF2 in my car, and I plugged it into the cig outlet and just sort of ran the cable under the roof liner and trim without taking anything off. You should be able to get your finger under enough to get the cable in there without taking anything off and keeping it from falling.

When I rent cars and quickly installing a dasham for temporary use, ( without any tools, just using hands / fingers ) it takes me max 1 min to run power from dashcam down the A-pillar to steering wheel to cig.lighter socket. For nice and neat installation it may take 3-5 min. to hide the power cable. I am sure for OP max will be 10min. It's should not be that complicated. Or I guess for 10-20$ some garage will be able to do this installation ?

probably not

Back