Looking for: external mic, front/in cab recording, suction cup ability, 512 or more, and longer than 1 minute segments (or work around)

TexNolan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Newbie here. My wife and I are RV Transporters. We also have a YouTube channel #DTNLivingLife #DTNTransporter, not a good one but it is a start. However, back to the dash cams.

We drive 8 to 11 hours a day and usually move about 12 hours a day. We would like to record our actions in the unit and that includes audio. I have watched a few videos and noticed several ignore the air noise in the background while I think an external lavalier mic would help on that. The suction cup ability is so we can move the camera from unit to unit as we drive different RVs to various locations. We have a Garmin mini2 and it works for recording in front of us but not what we are doing in the cab. The Garmin records in 1-minute segments and it is a pain to mend 60 of them together to get an hour of video. Oh yea one more item was the 512GB. On 256 SD card we get about one day and half of the recording before it starts looping. I would like to get a little more than that. If there is an easy way to put all the segments together in one simple click, please educate me.

I know I am asking for a future device because I have not found one yet, then again, I have been wrong more than once in a day, so this would be no different! LoL
As Forest Gump has said, "I am not a smart man" but at the age of 58, I am still learning and willing to listen to suggestions.

Thanks for taking the time to humor me.

What about Viofo A139.
Instead of using the included 3M Adhesive, you could use 3M Dual Lock to move it from vehicle to vehicle.
It's only 256GB sd card capacity, but at least it gives you a choice of 10 minute loop recording.
It also has external mic.
You could have your choice of IR night vision, or regular "secondary channels".
Here's a review;
-Chuck

What about Viofo A139.
Instead of using the included 3M Adhesive, you could use 3M Dual Lock to move it from vehicle to vehicle.
It's only 256GB sd card capacity, but at least it gives you a choice of 10 minute loop recording.
It also has external mic.
You could have your choice of IR night vision, or regular "secondary channels".
Here's a review;
-Chuck
Chuck
I really liked the A139, it is one of my first choices. I just need to find a way to move it from one Unit to the next New Unit we drive. The 3m Velcro would work if when we deliver the unit, we can peel it off the windshield without leaving a trace of any glue, otherwise, we get a cleaning fee of $100.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00JHKTDMA
I've been using the 3M Dual Lock for 7 years now.
It can be removed without any trace it was ever there.
You can buy a small peice and experiment with it.
Panzer

Thanks for the knowledge, I will check the Ace hardware or Lowes Lumber for some tomorrow. I'll test it by leaving it on my windshield for a week then see how easy it is to get it off. I am hoping this works so I can start making videos of all the places we go. We have traveled over 50k miles since the beginning of February.
Thanks again for chiming in.

I really liked the A139, it is one of my first choices. I just need to find a way to move it from one Unit to the next New Unit we drive. The 3m Velcro would work if when we deliver the unit, we can peel it off the windshield without leaving a trace of any glue, otherwise, we get a cleaning fee of $100.

For situations like this some members find a flat plate suction mount to be the solution. You can attach a camera like the A139 to the flat panel with the usual 3M VHB adhesive and then move the entire suction mount from vehicle to vehicle when needed.

I'm afraid I can't seem to find an active link for this product at the moment but many other DCT members are familar with this mount and I'm sure someone else can probably offer a link.

flatmount.jpg

For situations like this some members find a flat plate suction mount to be the solution. You can attach a camera like the A139 to the flat panel with the usual 3M VHB adhesive and then move the entire suction mount from vehicle to vehicle when needed.

I'm afraid I can't seem to find an active link for this product at the moment but many other DCT members are familar with this mount and I'm sure someone else can probably offer a link.

View attachment 61312
I like your idea here, I tried a search for the image, and came up blank. But then I thought what if I put a blank metal on the camera 3m spot and used a cell phone magnet (which I have in both cars already), I use it for our phones and swap it to the RVs regularly.
Thanks

Here's a link to the product @Dashmellow mentioned. I have 3 of them so they have my recommendation.

Here's a link to the product @Dashmellow mentioned. I have 3 of them so they have my recommendation.

Thanks for posting the link. Before posting about the mount I searched Amazon for Arkon mounts and found a wide range of their products but that particular mount is nowhere to be seen. Glad to see it still available direct from Arkon!

I also could not find Arkon specific device, but I did find something that will be useful, and it has the Arkon mount with it. The Beanbag may be strong enough to hold my Garmin RV GPS system while I use it to mount the camera. I have ordered all and we will see this weekend...

1660069090432.png

Thank you everyone. I'll update this thread when I have it mounted and tested.

My wife and I already had this item and it loses its effect to stay after 15k miles or so.

Not a good option then.

Fact is that all suction mounts are a bit iffy, some more than others. Then again, if you are only using a suction cup mount temporarily, it should suffice. The mechanically operated suction cups should be a lot more suitable than four press-on cups though.

Not a good option then.

Fact is that all suction mounts are a bit iffy, some more than others. Then again, if you are only using a suction cup mount temporarily, it should suffice. The mechanically operated suction cups should be a lot more suitable than four press-on cups though.
agree, we use a magnetic suction cup for our cell phones, it lost its sticky point after 40k miles. We added some E6000 tacky (not glue) and it is still holding another 20k miles so far. We have done 70k miles so far this year. Thanks for your help.

Back