Looking for professional reviewers to test A129 Plus eMMC version

Two of the small size ones I had saved earlier are as follows.
Will do some more later if needed. Let me know.
The videos are looking very nice. Move down the lens a little so you will obtain more road and less sky.
My suggestion is to put the horizon level exactly under the bottom of the GPS antenna you see on the camera LCD. Something like this:

Viofo Line of Horizon.jpg

enjoy,
Mtz

Thanks for the suggestion, I will do that and see how it goes. I think it started getting too much of the dash but will try and maneuver it.

The latest firmware for A129 Plus introduced the 21:9 aspect ratio so in this way you will have less dashboard. Check the official website.
Maybe Viofo observed that many users are affecting the camera exposure because they are pointing the lens too much to the sky so they offered the Ultra Wide option as 2560 x 1080 and in this way the dashboard can become invisible.

enjoy,
Mtz

@Mtz I've been meaning to ask where this change comes into play in the data-chain; is it implemented at the sensor so that you can lose the overexposure that comes from a bright sky, or is it later where it only 'crops' the view you see?

Wishing you a happy and prosperous 2021 (y)

Phil

The latest firmware for A129 Plus introduced the 21:9 aspect ratio so in this way you will have less dashboard. Check the official website.
Maybe Viofo observed that many users are affecting the camera exposure because they are pointing the lens too much to the sky so they offered the Ultra Wide option as 2560 x 1080 and in this way the dashboard can become invisible.

enjoy,
Mtz
All rear is 1080 @ 30fps.

I don't have the Ultra wide 2560 option. I only have 1440 21:9 max option up is 1600 @30FPS

This requires the latest FW, and I think 2650 is only available without the rear cam ;)

This kind of thing is the norm in multi-channel cams due to limits of what the processor can handle. All you can do is assign what percentage of those resources each channel will get when there's more than one which limits what you can get from each.

Phil

This requires the latest FW, and I think 2650 is only available without the rear cam ;)

This kind of thing is the norm in multi-channel cams due to limits of what the processor can handle. All you can do is assign what percentage of those resources each channel will get when there's more than one which limits what you can get from each.

Phil
Single channel 2650 was available before as well for me.

I agree and purchased knowing this well in advance. Potentially 2560 is possible with rear cam but heats up the hardware and that affects SD card and worsens performance making it unfeasible at this time.

@Mtz I've been meaning to ask where this change comes into play in the data-chain; is it implemented at the sensor so that you can lose the overexposure that comes from a bright sky, or is it later where it only 'crops' the view you see?

Wishing you a happy and prosperous 2021 (y)

Phil
Happy new year!

As you know, if you are moving up down the lens, the image will become brighter if pointed down and darker if pointing it up.
The new 21:9 AR (Aspect Ratio) is cropping the vertical from 1440p to 1080p, but the image is still 2K, it is not just Full HD because of 2560! 2560x1080p from camera menu means UltraWide 1080, WFHD, 2560 x 1080, Wikipedia. Just Full HD players will not play this video, a 2K player is needed.
Because the vertical of the video is smaller on 21:9 (compared to 16:9) the lens vertical adjustment is much more sensitive regarding exposure errors because it contains less sky! So when using UltraWide setting of the camera we need to be more careful to assure the horizon line is 50% sky - 50% road because the exposure depends only on the visible area.

Regarding 2 channels encoding I see at least 3 advantages:
1. processor is using same bitrate as for 16:9 which means more bits/pixel which means better image for important recording area because dashboard or motor hood or sky is never important on the dashcam recording. Usually in dashcam world we are interested only about 1/3 size from the vertical image, around horizon line.
2. less dashboard, less sky not important for recording, less pixels the processor need to encode, less stress for processor should record 2 channels without any problem
3. more nice result if you want to make a video by using stack vertical from front and rear

Of course, because the IMX335 can output 2592 x 1944 could be interesting that processor to use whole sensor area and then to output the MP4 as anamorphic. More pixels from the sensor used, better image. But I think nobody is interested to offer anamorphic MP4, just is a shame that Sony created a 4:3 sensor and it is used only to output 16:9 or 21:9 images which means about 20% from the sensor area is not used, money lost.

enjoy,
Mtz

Sony created a 4:3 sensor and it is used only to output 16:9 or 21:9 images which means about 20% from the sensor area is not used, money lost.
If we are only using 1080 from 1944 then 44% of the sensor is unused, pity we can't use it for something else useful, like a super wide angle 200 degree front image captured simultaneously with the normal image!

I remember I had noticed somewhere someone had kindly done some current draw work on this Dash Cam. If any one could please point out to me it would be great thanks.

Back