Looking for professional reviewers to test VIOFO A139 3 channels dash cam

Without going into the details I do have a past, and I still have connections to get done whatever I need done. I just prefer to not owe anyone any favors ;)

Phil

Awhile back there was a fad on Indiegogo with "360 degrees" dashcams. It was a fisheye lens running on a 5 megapixel sensor or something.

I think very quickly people figured out it's not enough resolution to match 1080p on 140 degrees in one direction.
There have been some nice 360 cameras, but like you say, for dashcam use you need at least a 100 megapixel sensor, and even then it is impossible to mount it in a position where the view in some directions isn't blocked by peoples heads, and then lens technology for a single 100 megapixel fisheye lens where you are only really interested in the bit around the edge of the lens where the quality is worst is not sufficient quality yet. If you want 360 then you are much better off with multiple conventional lenses positioned where they have a good view and then combine the results into the 360 image, then having obtained the 360 video, you find that the original multiple recordings are better quality and give better evidence.
I guess you really do need a 4-channel dashcam then ...
4 would be nice, front - back - left - right, and the option of a 5th IR camera specifically for the inside would be even better, then you don't need to choose between inside exposure or outside exposure for the side views.

Adding a 4th camera to the A139 seems like a small step forwards, hopefully the next generation of processors will have no problem supporting it, and with the thin coax cables it is much easier to install and get tidy than older dual remote cameras.

I am the one that are owed favors,,,, also dont like to own anything unless it is to a faceless bank.
And with current events here with several banks apparnenly having no clue as to how much people owe them, and now paying many people back, then i am a little nervous.

@Nigel there's been a trend of panoramic / 360 degrees parking systems which claim to also be able to perform recording. G sensor seems to be additional item. GPS logging is out of the question, and no mention of what sort of imaging sensor it uses. This is the closest you can get to 4 channel camera in the market for now, I guess.

@Nigel there's been a trend of panoramic / 360 degrees parking systems which claim to also be able to perform recording. G sensor seems to be additional item. GPS logging is out of the question, and no mention of what sort of imaging sensor it uses. This is the closest you can get to 4 channel camera in the market for now, I guess.

480 lines of resolution per camera, ok for parking, not good for recording

@jokiin OK, maybe here's a better example. It's still primarily a parking camera first even if it does recording, but it's the closest thing to 360 recording right now. The problem with trying one out is you've gotta cut holes at the bottom of the wing mirrors on order the mount the side cameras.

VIOFO A139 will be released around one month, we have some samples in stock and looking for DCT members to test and review.

Main features for A139:
  1. Support 2K 30fps front(Sony IMX335) + FHD interior(IR, Sony IMX291, separated cam) and FHD rear recording(Sony IMX291, separated cam)
  2. Support 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi
  3. Support GPS Logger
  4. Thinner coaxial interior and rear cam cable.
  5. Support external 3.5mm jack Microphone
  6. No Screen
  7. Support CPL
  8. Support optional Bluetooth remote control
  9. Support an optional bracket to lock the hardwire kit and memory card slot.
Please send PM directly for applying the sample.

I thought you had very few left? Or did you get more product samples?

I requested one a bit too late also and missed it. I received a message from viofo saying they have no more testing samples available due to high demand :cry:

There have been some nice 360 cameras, but like you say, for dashcam use you need at least a 100 megapixel sensor, and even then it is impossible to mount it in a position where the view in some directions isn't blocked by peoples heads, and then lens technology for a single 100 megapixel fisheye lens where you are only really interested in the bit around the edge of the lens where the quality is worst is not sufficient quality yet. If you want 360 then you are much better off with multiple conventional lenses positioned where they have a good view and then combine the results into the 360 image, then having obtained the 360 video, you find that the original multiple recordings are better quality and give better evidence.

4 would be nice, front - back - left - right, and the option of a 5th IR camera specifically for the inside would be even better, then you don't need to choose between inside exposure or outside exposure for the side views.

Adding a 4th camera to the A139 seems like a small step forwards, hopefully the next generation of processors will have no problem supporting it, and with the thin coax cables it is much easier to install and get tidy than older dual remote cameras.

If the A139 turns out to be a good dashcam, I am thinking of the possibility of buying 2, using the 2 main units for front / back and the rear units for the sides. I've then also got the option of adding an extra unit to each if I want to, not to sure if I want an interior IR camera to record myself though, maybe comes in handy to prove you were not doing something illegal before a crash (like using a mobile phone while driving)

I luckily managed to request a sample to test, I reckon video quality will be much better than my 590W, so it just a matter of some thorough testing of the cam to see how well it fares with features and reliability.

A 4ch / 5ch dashcam is nice, I think we will eventually get there, probably a couple of years wait though

I guess another option as well is the a139 and a single channel cam.. :)

The remote cams are interchangeable with the A139, so once they are offered you could buy extra rear cams to use instead of the inside cams and place them where you like.

I'm not much to look at, but I've come to understand that there's some value to self-recording while driving as it proves where I've looked and that I wasn't distracted from my driving. I've got an 'extra' channel on one cam that doesn't have any better use so it's aimed toward the rear on the driver's side where it also 'sees' most of my upper body and arms as well as some view to the rear on that side.

Phil

The A139 secondary cameras cannot be replaced with another Viofo secondary cameras.
The only replace which is possible now is to use the rear cameras of A129 non-Plus versions. Also the cables of A129 Plus and A139 are different compared to previous Viofo models.

enjoy,
Mtz

The A139 secondary cameras cannot be replaced with another Viofo secondary cameras.
The only replace which is possible now is to use the rear cameras of A129 non-Plus versions. Also the cables of A129 Plus and A139 are different compared to previous Viofo models.

enjoy,
Mtz
Just so there is no misunderstanding, my post above referred only to the A139 remote cams (IR and rear) - it's coaxial cable connection is entirely different than any other type of cam. Viofio has said that both ports will support either type of cam, so you could possibly do 2 rear cams, 2 IR cams, or one each (which is what the A139 is supplied with). But you'll have to wait till the extra remote cams and cables are offered.

Phil

there's some value to self-recording while driving

Phil
It's horrid sometimes seeing yourself... Facial gestures I never knew I had, the number of times you scratch your face, how often you shake your head at something you see (usually nothing or you'd share the video!)... :ROFLMAO:

Clearly my singing voice are more of a plus than my physical appearance, i have also found out i talk way too much when i drive ( alone )
And to be honest i dont feel like any microphone do my voice justice.

It's horrid sometimes seeing yourself... Facial gestures I never knew I had, the number of times you scratch your face, how often you shake your head at something you see (usually nothing or you'd share the video!)... :ROFLMAO:
Totally, I’m collecting a few videos now and I’m so self conscious of pulling faces etc in the car now. I need to concentrate on them so I don’t post anything incriminating

If i am to share any cabin footage, i cant just pull any file from that camera, i have to do a little self censorship :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R A139 4
Back