Looking for reasonable but very cheap action cam...

DashcamDPR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
A119 Pro, Mio Mivue 508 for the work van
As it's something I wont use all too often I'm possibly looking for a cheap action cam, feature-wise it doesn't need much, and it also doesn't have to be 4k, 1080p60 would suffice, and also, as I'll mostly be using it in-home, the battery life doesn't even have to be spectacular. I may occasionally mount it in the car though and would like to know if it can be used with a small powerbank if a road trip should last longer than a couple of hours...? are there any brands, or specific cams that may fall into that criteria for under £50?

Also would prefer it to be "typical action cam" style, so not like the tiny mobius cam, but like a gopro where it may also have a waterproof case it can go in!

Many thanks in advance. (have currently been recording with a standard but dated digital camera and it's just old, 720p!!)

EDIT: Does anyone have an opinion on this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B01CW4AVZK I apparently can use a voucher bringing this down to £30..?

Last edited:
I ended up going for the £30 Yi cam, it's 1080p and comes as is but with the waterproof case (that I won't need) after watching several youtube vids it seems like I absolutely wont get a better cam for £30, it's coming on Monday, and for what I need from it, I highly doubt any of the negative points of this cam will actually even apply to my usage!

The discount code expires today where it goes back up to £53 so it's a shame no one was able to offer advice

Within your price range, no action camera will be great indoors, they like more light than is normally available indoors. Need to spend a bit more to get a great camera, just like you do with dashcams. Most at that price will be OK in sunlight.

Not sure what your choice actually is, or who makes it, I guess we will find out how good it is...

As it's something I wont use all too often I'm possibly looking for a cheap action cam, feature-wise it doesn't need much, and it also doesn't have to be 4k, 1080p60 would suffice, and also, as I'll mostly be using it in-home, the battery life doesn't even have to be spectacular. I may occasionally mount it in the car though and would like to know if it can be used with a small powerbank if a road trip should last longer than a couple of hours...? are there any brands, or specific cams that may fall into that criteria for under £50?

Also would prefer it to be "typical action cam" style, so not like the tiny mobius cam, but like a gopro where it may also have a waterproof case it can go in!

Many thanks in advance. (have currently been recording with a standard but dated digital camera and it's just old, 720p!!)

EDIT: Does anyone have an opinion on this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B01CW4AVZK I apparently can use a voucher bringing this down to £30..?

If you can live with 1080p30 rather than 1080p60 the Gitup - Git1 is still available on sale at a steep discount with the "Pro" package which includes the waterproof case and other accessories. At $69.00 USD it is a true bargain!

https://www.gitup.com/home/8-gitup-git1-action-camera-pro-packing.html

Edit: Sorry I didn't see your initial post sooner. Then again, perhaps even the Git1 was more than you had in mind to spend.

Last edited:
If you can live with 1080p30 rather than 1080p60 the Gitup - Git1 is still available on sale at a steep discount with the "Pro" package which includes the waterproof case and other accessories. At $69.00 USD it is a true bargain!

https://www.gitup.com/home/8-gitup-git1-action-camera-pro-packing.html

Edit: Sorry I didn't see your initial post sooner. Then again, perhaps even the Git1 was more than you had in mind to spend.

I did look at that one and the price wouldn't have been too far out of budget, (£67 here) but the YI is less than half price. I think the amazon voucher is a pressure scam too, the "deadline" has been extended so I technically could have waited for more replies, but to be honest I think the YI at £29.99 has been the right choice, the only other close contender was the Eken H9R. Thank you anyway :)

I think the next choice up in price is currently the Xiaomi Mijia 4k, even if you don't plan to use the 4K. The Git1 gives a good image, especially in low light, but it doesn't have stabilisation, which is an issue unless it will be firmly mounted, such as in a car or on a tripod. The Git3 (G3) is a better choice but that is a lot more expensive.

As long as you can arrange good lighting then you should be fine with your Yi, and even if you upgrade later, two cameras make much more interesting videos than a single camera so it wont be wasted.

As long as you can arrange good lighting then you should be fine with your Yi, and even if you upgrade later, two cameras make much more interesting videos than a single camera so it wont be wasted.

They do indeed. Despite the fact my ordinary digital camera is old and only 720p, I will most likely continue to use it for multi cam purposes until I accept it's just not good enough :D But as we speak I've a few action cams on watch on ebay that are second hand, or pre-owned new, that have good footage samples on youtube, just in case there's a chance they end with low bids. Might look at some accessory packs too

Back