Looking for Recording DashCam with WiFi Backup Camera

Jibsman

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,
I've searched Amazon for a solution. I want at least 2 Recording cameras. It needs to automatically show the backup cam when the car is put into reverse. So at least 2 cameras, one pointing forward, one in the back (license plate type preferred) with WiFi. In this day and age we shouldn't have to wire up a backup camera to anything except power. The monitor should be connected to the front camera and use a suction cup or hang off the rear view mirror. Unfortunately my mirror is already being used by my radar detector, so suction cup.

My preference would be 4 cameras, all recording so you have a 360 degree view of the vehicle in case of an accident.

I don't ask for much, :cautious: but there should be something out there to fit the bill.
Cheers!

I don't ask for much

Well, you are actually asking too much, because what you are seeking doesn't exist. And it doesn't exist for a number of good reasons.

Firstly, back up cameras and dash cameras are completely different animals that are designed to perform different tasks. Dash cams monitor and record traffic behind you for evidentiary purposes, whereas backup cameras display (but don't record) the pavement area directly behind your vehicle with guidelines for backing up, so they record from different angles with dash cams optimally mounted as high as possible and with a different FOV than typical back-up cameras. A back-up camera requires a large screen that dash cams don't have. Many Wifi dash cams these days don't have one at all.

Secondly, WiFi in dash cams has useful but limited value. Current state of the art with the chipsets will not provide enough bandwidth or processing speed for full time high resolution transmission of recorded video.

Thirdly, in many, if not most situations getting power to a rear (or side facing) camera requires a cable from the front of the vehicle via a 12V socket or a direct connection to the fuse box. Once you do that it makes sense to also use the cable to transmit the audio and video which will always be more reliable and higher quality than Wifi, especially with today's 2k and 4K cameras.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. So I'm stuck wiring a camera to the back. OK. One problem is I don't have much space on the dash for 2 monitors. Is there a way to connect a backup cam and recording cam to the same monitor? Probably not... We had a backup cam in our previous vehicle (4Runner) and really relied on it to avoid damage backing up. I was hit in the rear a week after getting the 4Runner and if the backup camera had recording the guy who hit me would have paid (he backed into the rear of my truck in a parking lot).

I wonder if there is a recording system that doesn't use a monitor; just records, and if I need the video I can pull it. I really don't need to see video except when backing up.

I'm waiting for someone to invent a 4 camera system like a dome that attaches to the ceiling of the vehicle with wired cameras looking forward, back and both sides. The ability to push a button on the monitor to just show the rear video for backing up. The engineer who invents this will probably do well.

Thanks again for the info.
Cheers!

Back