Looking for screenless, 150+ deg. aspheric lens & optical or radar motion sensing parking mode

John G

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm looking for a dash cam for my new truck. I've learned from past dash cams that there are several things that I want and don't want.

DON'T Want:
  • Screen - I don't need a screen to show me what I'm seeing in front of me. It just takes up more windshield real estate and blocks my vision.
  • Bulky Mount - There is no use getting a small, unobtrusive dash cam, if your mount is twice the size of the cam.
Definitely WANT:
  • SMALL - Preferred form factor like Goluk or DDPai Mini3, but I could deal with something else that would be equally unobtrusive.
  • 150 to 170 degree FOV
  • Aspheric Lens - It does no good to have a wide angle lens, unless the lens is aspheric (non-spherical). Otherwise, it's just too distorted.
  • 1080P or better resolution - 1440P or better, for wider angle lens
  • Either radar or optical motion sensing (radar preferred) for parking mode
  • WDR - Wide Dynamic Resolution
  • Very Low Light Capability
  • At least 32 mb. memory
  • CAPACITOR - In South Texas, the inside temperature of a car can reach 180 degrees, on a sunny summer day.
Would like to have:
  • WiFi connection
  • 64 or 128 mb. memory
  • Remote Save/Lock Button
A rear camera is not part of my wish-list, but I see it as a somewhat valuable option.

To give you an idea of what I'm looking for, the Letown LT9 has most of my wants, but the big and mostly useless screen makes the forward-facing camera waaaay to big. The Goluk T3 would be fantastic, if it had a wider angle lens. BTW, I have a T3 in my other vehicle and I'm pleased with everything but the FOV.

Any ideas?

Most cameras that do have a screen, that screen are not determining for the size of the camera,,,, but some do have unnecessary large screens, i think its the phone decease spreading to dashcams.
Bulky mount : this rule out the cameras with a suction cup mount, IMO they double the footprint of any camera, and if you have a dotted area on the windscreen they normally cant fix to that most often optimal part of the windscreen.

All dashcams have a wide angle lens to have as much cover as possible, but the FOV numbers are often exaggerated or misleading.
No dashcam have radar for parking mode.

The one you are looking at are based on the OV4689 sensor, and mislabeled as a 4 K camera instead of 4 megapixel ( you need 8 megapixel to be able to generate a true 4K image )
So just on the half assed handling of the truth i would bypass that one.

If you could tell what car you got, maybe provide a link to a picture of the windscreen layout, then it would be more easy for us to tailor a recommendation to you.

Most cameras that do have a screen, that screen are not determining for the size of the camera,,,, but some do have unnecessary large screens, i think its the phone decease spreading to dashcams.
Bulky mount : this rule out the cameras with a suction cup mount, IMO they double the footprint of any camera, and if you have a dotted area on the windscreen they normally cant fix to that most often optimal part of the windscreen.

All dashcams have a wide angle lens to have as much cover as possible, but the FOV numbers are often exaggerated or misleading.
No dashcam have radar for parking mode.

The one you are looking at are based on the OV4689 sensor, and mislabeled as a 4 K camera instead of 4 megapixel ( you need 8 megapixel to be able to generate a true 4K image )
So just on the half assed handling of the truth i would bypass that one.

If you could tell what car you got, maybe provide a link to a picture of the windscreen layout, then it would be more easy for us to tailor a recommendation to you.

Thanks, kamkar1. I have a Ram 1500 truck, with a radar detector just to the left and below the mirror. I want to put a dashcam behind the mirror, on the left side (above and to the right of the radar detector) or directly behind the mirror. The right side, behind the mirror is taken up by my toll tag.

That should have room to spare, though us EU boys are not that familiar with US steel, but my friend are a MOPAR guy ( 1985 ram charger ) and i am also a gear head.
If you also have a dotted area in front of that mirror then mounting a wedge type camera of it with just the lens peeking out below make up for just about the ideal install.

I have a row of cameras which are of course not that stealthy,
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...ra-post-your-pictures.502/page-54#post-400923

the where-did-you-mount-the-camera-post-your-pictures are a good place to get install ideas / see how other people have done it in their cars, but its a old thread as the forum so probably best to review that thread in reverse order for the most recent hardware.

The best low light performance right now you get with cameras based on the Sony IMX 291 sensor ( 1080p )

Back