Looking for starting point

ras0787

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys,

There are so many dash cams available I feel a bit overwhelmed as I am just starting out here. I don't already own any so I'm a total noob. I'm hesitant to post this in case I am asking any silly questions. I definitely want to get into it though and I'm seeking some advice on where to start.

I'm looking to get started with something on the cheaper side (I am new after all). I'd like to keep it under $100 if possible. Looking for full HD (1080p is ok with me as I'm on a budget) recording, along with decent audio. I'm ok with clear video during the day and ok-ish at night. The reason I'm looking for decent audio is I'm possibly looking to do some light commentary along with the videos I make. I want something that picks up voice decently so it's clear-ish.

I see the ones with screens and all that stuff but I am nervous that those will somewhat block my view of the road. Folks who own those, do you have any insight on that? Do they take up an obnoxious amount of space?

So what do you guys think? Are there any that come to mind you'd recommend? I've read through the forums and will continue to do so, but it's super overwhelming! Help is very much appreciated!

Thanks all!

EDIT: I drive 60 miles each way to/from work everyday so the camera I get should be able to support a card sufficient to hold a video of at least 3-4 hours. (I don't know if that is crazy legnthwise, please tell me if it is.)

Good evening from Kansas. I've had 2 of the G1 cameras for almost 3 years and they are great. Just bought another today from gearbest for $22. I also have a Yi dashcam and the Old shark dashcam. I still prefer the G1 because of its crisp video and outstanding audio recording. Only buy from gearbest or ebay estore009. I got stuck with an .avi counterfeit last year from ebay. Also the G1cb at gearbest is all black and ya cant hardly see it. Rick

Good evening from Kansas. I've had 2 of the G1 cameras for almost 3 years and they are great. Just bought another today from gearbest for $22. I also have a Yi dashcam and the Old shark dashcam. I still prefer the G1 because of its crisp video and outstanding audio recording. Only buy from gearbest or ebay estore009. I got stuck with an .avi counterfeit last year from ebay. Also the G1cb at gearbest is all black and ya cant hardly see it. Rick
G1? do you mean this G1W?

Welcome to DCT @ras0787 and @Rickdean :)

Taking both questions together, first there are no silly questions- we all started of without knowledge. The G1W series cams are old tech but still OK if you get a good one. That's the problem though- quality has fallen so you just don't know anymore. If you want one stick with the G1W-C from a reputable local seller, or a similar G1W-S. "Wedge" cams mount high and don't obstruct vision but may not fit behind your mirror and like all cams should be mounted where the wipers will provide coverage in the rain. With 'scissors' wipers a centralized mounting may not provide that. Tubular cams can also hide well in most cars and there are variants like Mobius and the WR-1 which may be the right shape for you. Audio quality varies by cam- most but not all will give usable audio and with certain cams what you get is variable from one cam to another.

1080P @30 FPS is what most people consider good enough, and with a quality lens and sensor makes for good vids. Only cheap cams you don't want have lower specs. You also want a good chipset like Novatek or Ambarella. For basic driving recording most good cams have you covered but for other features like parking protection, G-sensor, and Motion detect the choices narrow down quickly. On cheaper cams those may be more an advertising gimmick than a usable feature. The SD card is another very important matter- you must have a good one as only those can handle the intensive data-writing involved with cams.

If y'all will let us know what form-factors and features you need we can make more specific recommendations. You can get basic cams at the ~$60+ level and there are some great deals in the $100 range. There are just too many cams and too many varying needs to recommend one without a clearer picture of your needs and wants. If you look at the newer posts in the "Show us your Install" thread here: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/where-did-you-mount-the-camera-post-your-pictures.502/
that may help you narrow down your choices.

Phil

Back