Looking for warm tips on purchasing dashcam

Riley123

Reaction score
Country
China
Hello Dear,
As we all knows,the traffic accidents are happen more and more.so ,i want to buy a kind of dashcam to prevent the accident .but i dont know what kind of dashcam should i buy and what points should i focus.so, can your give me some suggestion on this?
I am looking forward to your reply.Thanks.

You first need to consider whether you want front only or front rear, then budget, no point aiming for an expensive one with many features if funds are not available, I would have a serious think about what you NEED from a cam, some less expensive ones can give great quality, there's usually loads of features on the expensive ones you will likely never use, do you need parking mode ?, ones without batteries, ie hardwired don't cook batteries that need replacing, do you want one in a certain position, certain shape or size ? I have the thinkware F770 fron/rear which would money permitting always be my first choice, that's why I bought it but it's not for every person, I got the buzz for the biggest capacity SD card but laugh at that now I can store 4 hours, frankly 1 hour would be enough in reality for me. Look at lots of footage on youtube might help you decide.

I'd STRONGLY recommend (to anyone and everyone actually) to get front and rear cams if your budget easily allows, either one that does both or 2 separate cams if necessary (unless it's not possible due to maybe having no rear window like my van).

I only had a front one to begin with and although I've been fortunate to never been in an incident where I've needed the footage, I'm so pleased I have a rear cam in my car, and thanks to a bargain I got on ebay I use one in the front of my van which I use as an interior cam in the car when I'm not using the van. There's plenty the rear cams pick up that we all don't see, and can make for interesting viewing if nothing else :)

Hi Riley123

We can only control what we do in a Car .. not what other people do in Cars. This is why we get a Dash Cam .. so that we can see what other people have done to our Car .. and to prove if it is their fault or ours.

I would suggest that you talk to other people in China .. friends or Internet .. who have a Dash Cam already .. so they can share their experience with you .. to help you decide what is best for you.

A dash cam cannot prevent an accident - only record what happened.
Oh.yes. it can record the process of the accident ,if somebody want to attribute a fault to me then the dashcam can be as a proof .so ,do you have any suggestions to me.i am confused now that what kind of dashcam suit to em.

First decide on how much you can spend on a dashcam, keeping in mind that with the SD card you will need to spend at least $60US to get a reliable cam with usable picture quality. More is better. Next decide on the features you want- some things like parking mode come only in more expensive models. Think about where you will mount the cam- it needs to be where the wipers will clear it's view in the rain. That will help ypu decide on 'form factor' (shape). In less hot summers battery models can do OK but if it gets hot where you are then you need a capacitor equipped model. Also decide how important night-time video quality is for you. Many cams do well in daytime but not so good at night.

This should get you a good start for deciding which is best for you. When you have selected some choices you like let us know which ones they are and we can help you further.

Phil

I wouldn't look at budget first I'd look at necessary features first. if you're contemplating spending $50 on a cam but realise you can't have certain features you think you'll definitely need, see what the price difference is to get the extra features, up your budget if it's only $10-15 extra?

not to mention, once you find your cam (even if slightly over budget), shop around to see if you can actually get the one you want at a lower price!! My A118c cost me £30 but my old (genuine) G1W-C cost me just £11 (I broke it :()

Consider how much your excess/deductable is, then re-ask yourself how much you want to prove you're right.

Back