Looking to buy my first dash cam. Any recommendations please?

Alfie092

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to buy my first ever dash cam just as a precaution. However, I am unfamiliar with what is worth the money and what is not and what brands to look for and what to avoid :( I'm looking to spend around £100-£150 for a dash cam, £150 if it is of a very good quality.

Ideally I just want one which enables me to clearly see the drivers face in another car and the number plate, along with parking mode and night vision as I do drive at night often.

What would you guys recommend? Any particular brands I should look further into? Would 1080p do, or should I go for a 4k dash cam? Also are rear camera's worth it?

I found the following Nextbase 522GW 4k dashcam on Halfords (https://www.halfords.com/technology/dash-cams/dash-cams/nextbase-522gw-dash-cam). So just about makes my budget, however, it's an additional £50 for the rear camera (https://www.halfords.com/technology...-window-add-on-camera?request_type=bestseller).

What are your opinions on this? As it's maybe slightly exceeding my budget, I would only be willing to purchase it if it does what I require it to do and maybe even more! Or do you guys think this is a overkill and that I do not require 4k and that a cheaper 1080p camera would do?

Sorry if this does not make sense! I am new to this forum and also new to dash cams and would appreciate any help I could get. Thanks!:D

I found the following Nextbase 522GW 4k dashcam
That's not 4K, it is 2K, and you should read the threads about it on this forum before deciding to buy since there are a few people not too happy with it!

If you only want the front camera then the Viofo A119 V3 would be a better choice, especially as you want it good at night. Viofo A129 is the dual camera version but that is lower resolution, or there is a 4K version but that is over budget.

Seeing other driver's faces clearly is beyond most dashcams, especially at night. That really does need a 4K camera to get enough detail for recognition, also needs a CPL filter to see through reflections on your and their windscreens, and then the night vision isn't too good and it will go over budget so I suggest you forget about that!

Ideally I just want one which enables me to clearly see the drivers face in another car and the number plate, along with parking mode and night vision as I do drive at night often.
capturing driver faces and number plates at nigh is a quite difficult task for any dashcam available today, even for the 4K versions. I suggest you watch plenty of sample footage available on You Tube for any particular dashcam you are aiming for as well as reading from different treads here in this forums. That will help somewhat balance your expectations and eventually you will make a more informed decision.

That's not 4K, it is 2K, and you should read the threads about it on this forum before deciding to buy since there are a few people not too happy with it!

If you only want the front camera then the Viofo A119 V3 would be a better choice, especially as you want it good at night. Viofo A129 is the dual camera version but that is lower resolution, or there is a 4K version but that is over budget.

Seeing other driver's faces clearly is beyond most dashcams, especially at night. That really does need a 4K camera to get enough detail for recognition, also needs a CPL filter to see through reflections on your and their windscreens, and then the night vision isn't too good and it will go over budget so I suggest you forget about that!

Thank you I will definitely look at the cameras you have suggested! :)

capturing driver faces and number plates at nigh is a quite difficult task for any dashcam available today, even for the 4K versions. I suggest you watch plenty of sample footage available on You Tube for any particular dashcam you are aiming for as well as reading from different treads here in this forums. That will help somewhat balance your expectations and eventually you will make a more informed decision.

Thank you! I will ensure I watch sample footage on YouTube and see the reviews on here before deciding :)

Reactions: EGS
Back