looking to get new camera

action camera

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
looking to get a new camera as i have sold some of my old cameras and have saved a little money so what i wanted to know is should i get a 4k camera (note the tv i use as a computer screen is amazing but only 1080p) i have seen some nice ones in my price range or should i just get a 360 camera i really can't make up my mind but i am leaning towards a 360 camera as that would be more fun but i wanted to know how i would view the videos on my computer or edit them

When you're looking around, keep in mind it's not really possible to get an actual 4K camera for under $250 (I believe the lowest price real 4K camera right now is the Xiaoyi Action Camera II). Any other "4K" camera under that price will for the most part only look good at a max of 2K30 because the sensor, processor, etc isn't capable of processing real 4K video.

What's your price range?

Personally I'm not aware of any 360 cams that I can recommend (and what I've read around the internet seems to be along the same lines. The 360 idea still seems to be working out its bumps). I'd just go with an action cam, unless there's a specific reason for needing 360 video. And even then it's possible to rig action cams together and stitch it in post.

Some general suggestions I can make, look for a Sony + Novatek cam (or Sony + Ambarella), these seem to be the most reliable out of the recent bunch of out there. Go for a brand-name cam, not a generic or a rebrand, as you'll have better support in terms of firmware and/or any issues that may crop up. Also get a cam with a gyro! It's totally worth it in my opinion.

Back