Looking to replace my Blueskysea B1W

vhblanco

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I'm having a lot of issues with my Blueskysea B1W camera, date constantly changes to 2022 and it only records at random times, a lot of times I've found myself trying to review and event that happened in the highway the same day and when I connect it to my phone I don't find the video either in normal recording or in "emergency" locked files. It records a section of that commute but not the last video, it stops halfway my commute before the event I wanted to review.

This is way too unreliable and don't want to be in a position where I REALLY need the footage and find it wasn't recorded.

I'm looking for a replacement, money is less of an issue this time around and I'm willing to pay more for something more reliable but ideally Im looking to under $250 with the following features:

*Ideally with the same microUSB port and same voltage/current needs as I already have a hardwired kit, so I can just unplug the B1W and plug the new camera. (this one isn't a must, I guess I could use an adapter to miniUSB, etc. but would prefer not to)
*Decent video quality and decent night mode.
*It is reliable and is always recording instead of stop recording at random times
*It has a secondary rear/cabin camera in the same device (this one doesn't have to be great quality, just would like proof if I'm rear ended, and not that I reversed and hit other stationary car). (this one isn't a must if it has the other features)
*It has a 24 hr parking mode that takes pictures every second or so when it detects the vehicle is parked. I don't want those that once parked, only start recording once they detect motion or a bump because it is too unreliable, I've seen some dashcams that take pictures every second and then combine into a very light weight video compared to normal driving recordings. For example something like this:
"Time lapse mode: Records continuously at a low frame rate. You can choose 1fps, 2fps, 3fps, 5fps or 10fps. Note that the camera will not enter low power standby mode and audio is NOT recorded in this mode. You can also use time lapse mode while driving."

Is there anything in the market with these features?

Last edited:
It is not advisable to use a hard wire kit from one brand for another camera, as well as some cheap generic hard wire kits that can be problematic.
Not aware what kind of Hard wire kit it is for the B1W, most decent cameras today use a 3 wire hard wire kit, the old fashioned 2 wire kits are on the way out i think.
Also if you are looking for a 2 channel setup, the hard wire kit build for a single B1W might not be able to give enough power for 2 cameras.

IMO the best parking mode are regular video but at a low bitrate, that also have sound attached to it VS time lapse parking modes.

It is not advisable to use a hard wire kit from one brand for another camera, as well as some cheap generic hard wire kits that can be problematic.
Not aware what kind of Hard wire kit it is for the B1W, most decent cameras today use a 3 wire hard wire kit, the old fashioned 2 wire kits are on the way out i think.
Also if you are looking for a 2 channel setup, the hard wire kit build for a single B1W might not be able to give enough power for 2 cameras.

IMO the best parking mode are regular video but at a low bitrate, that also have sound attached to it VS time lapse parking modes.

Thanks for the reply, I have this hardwire kit:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B075WPSZYH
but I left the yellow one disconnected according to manufacturer recommendation here:

Is there any recommendation that would be compatible with this kit? only one camera is fine.

Secondary camera was my lowest priority desire, it can still be somehow figured with the front camera footage if I'm a red light a suddenly rear ended (with sudden forward move and maybe audio) for example, but would be a little bit harder to prove to insurance company.

IIRC the B1W HWK is rated at 1A surge voltage which is inadequate for most or all 2-channel cams. It should work for all single-channel cams except Viofo's- those require a more robust PS too.

Phil

IIRC the B1W HWK is rated at 1A surge voltage which is inadequate for most or all 2-channel cams. It should work for all single-channel cams except Viofo's- those require a more robust PS too.

Phil
thanks! I'll disregard my thought about the 2-channel.

Any thoughts about this one?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B074JT3698
Seems to be more reliable than the B1W and has 24 hr time lapse option

n
it's not real 4k (in case that was your reason for looking at this one), also has an internal battery which is never a good idea in a dashcam
not really looking for real 4k, a quality similar to the b1w would be fine as long as it's reliable. Any other recommendations?

is there any dash cam with a parking mode that has a setting to record time lapse (~1-4 fps) for a specific number of hours once the car is parked? for example that it records up to 9 hours while is parked at work but it doesn't record 30 hours or until the hardwire kit voltage cut out if vehicle is parked in the garage for several days.

The street guardian cameras have a timer for parking mode, alongside the low voltage cut off that is of course also there in their hard wire kit.
But then you are going from one of the cheaper cameras to one of the expensive ones, in return for that you also get +1 year warranty and the best service & customer care around.

But if enabled the camera will of course park for 9 hours every time you park, unless you turn the camera off once it have changed to parking mode ( which many do that park in a garage at home )

The SG cameras support timed cut off from 5 minutes i think and to 24 hours, personally i just use 1 hour in the new SG cameras i am testing ( i am affiliated with the brand ) That 1 hour cover all my shopping, and if needed i can just change the number to get more coverage should i feel like needing that some day. ( low voltage cut off are set to 12.2 volts )
I can not recall the numbers for time lapse the SG cameras support, i will assume it is something like 1-2-3 -10 -20-30 seconds, i am personally using regular recording 30 FPS but with low bitrate, this mean 3 minutes of parking is 118 MB on the memory card, the low bitrate recording in parking mode also have sound.

The more features you want, or the more specific your needs are, the more expensive the cam you need will likely be. So you either settle for less than what you wanted or pay whatever the price is to get what you want. Price alone doesn't make for a good cam but you can't get best quality and best development without paying for it ;)

Street Guardian is at the 'premium' level; of price, but you get one of the most dependable cams there is, with it doing well exactly what they say it will do:cool: And customer support is available here on DCT nearly 24/7/365 with their 3 main agents located around the world where almost always one will be monitoring these forums. They are worth the money asked for them which doesn't always often happen even with premium-priced cams (y)

Phil

The more features you want, or the more specific your needs are, the more expensive the cam you need will likely be. So you either settle for less than what you wanted or pay whatever the price is to get what you want. Price alone doesn't make for a good cam but you can't get best quality and best development without paying for it ;)

Street Guardian is at the 'premium' level; of price, but you get one of the most dependable cams there is, with it doing well exactly what they say it will do:cool: And customer support is available here on DCT nearly 24/7/365 with their 3 main agents located around the world where almost always one will be monitoring these forums. They are worth the money asked for them which doesn't always often happen even with premium-priced cams (y)

Phil

yeah money is not much of an issue this time, I want something reliable. Everyone seems to be recommneding Street Guardian but any specific model recommendations?

Also if the SG has miniUSB input, can I use one of these?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/124287661245
With my current hardwire kit:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B075WPSZYH

Last edited:
has anyone tried this one?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B08G7D1PT8
seen a few videos on youtube and picture looks good, it has time lapse with timer and works with my current microusb hardwire kit. App looks decent as well.

No you will have to use Street Guardians own hard wire kit, you can only use the old kit to see where to tap in with the new hard wire kit.

I would go for one of the pro or pro+ models, or if stealth are a big issue the new DR, the DR should also theoretically be able to do parking mode in hotter environments as the main unit can be placed somewhere out of the sun.
But it is theoretical for now, but maybe something the boss will test now that summer are creeping up on Australia, but common sense for me dictate that if the main unit ( that generate its own heat when operation ) are not on the windscreen in the sun, then it should take longer before thermal protection kick in.

Sadly Denmark are sort of in between a rock and a hard place when it come to thermals, it is rare we get the really hot days in summer ( 33 deg C or so ) and equally rare we get the cold days in winter, the last couple of years have only seen a handful of days every year where removing ice from car windows had been necessary before a drive, in the old days this was common + much much colder with - 10 deg C not being uncommon and - 20 a clear and present danger.

So doing thermal testing in the wild are not really a option for me.

Last edited:
Back