Loop recording deleted my IMPORTANT drive video

vbhavaraju

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

I wanted to capture a scenic drive recently (my whole purpose of buying the dashcam) and started the drive with 35gb of video already on the SD card. The card is Samsung 64GB high endurance. After I finished the driver approx 10 hours later, I see all videos expect the ones I really wanted. The SD card still shows 23gb free and 35GB used.... why the free space ? is it reserved for emergency videos ? Can someone please help if this is normal OR what to expect and/or Workaround.

23GB reserved is unlikely. Check the card, could be a fake.

IIRC 30% of card-space is reserved for locked files with the B1W. There's also a tiny bit held for the card file system. In my own usage I get 6 1/2 to 7 hours normal recording time with my B1W; there's no way it would hold a 10 hour drive with a 64GB card.

I've somewhat successfully used a Samsung EVO Select 128GB card in mine, but that also ramdomly gets me a "low card speed" error message with both filled and looping and with not yet filled cards. I've tried 2 different ones which test 100% and work fine in my other cams, some of which write at an even higher bitrate than my B1W does :( I'm not the only one having "low card speed" errors with seemingly good cards in this cam so for now I can't really recommend you try a bigger card as the solution :cautious:

Mine has been totally reliable with the same kind of 64GB cards so that's what I've switched back to- it's enough for me.

Phil

IIRC 30% of card-space is reserved for locked files with the B1W. There's also a tiny bit held for the card file system. In my own usage I get 6 1/2 to 7 hours normal recording time with my B1W; there's no way it would hold a 10 hour drive with a 64GB card.

I've somewhat successfully used a Samsung EVO Select 128GB card in mine, but that also ramdomly gets me a "low card speed" error message with both filled and looping and with not yet filled cards. I've tried 2 different ones which test 100% and work fine in my other cams, some of which write at an even higher bitrate than my B1W does :( I'm not the only one having "low card speed" errors with seemingly good cards in this cam so for now I can't really recommend you try a bigger card as the solution :cautious:

Mine has been totally reliable with the same kind of 64GB cards so that's what I've switched back to- it's enough for me.

Phil

Thanks a lot Phil :) That is very helpful.
I am still in the 30-day return period on amazon. Do you know if the SD card reserved space is a standard practice among dashcams systems?

Edit: I tried to read through product descriptions of many of the products (amazon or otherwise) but none of them mentions that aspect, including B1w.

I'd love it if they would fix the firmware issue where you cant create a smaller reserved partition, possibly via size or even a lower % than it currently allows.

im ready to start shopping for a new dash cam i think as this wastes so much space on a 64 or 128 gigabyte card.

I'd love it if they would fix the firmware issue where you cant create a smaller reserved partition, possibly via size or even a lower % than it currently allows.
At least 30% reserved!
im ready to start shopping for a new dash cam i think as this wastes so much space on a 64 or 128 gigabyte card.
64Gb or 128Gb cost is cheap now!

Not sure about Canada, but in the USA the 128GB Samsung EVO Select from Amazon is a bargain and works very well with the B1W. Same card as the EVO plus if you can find it at a better price.

Phil

At least 30% reserved!

64Gb or 128Gb cost is cheap now!

10% is more reasonable to reserve on a 64 or 128gb otherwise we are wasting a HUGE amount of space on a large card, thats 38gb on 128gb card.

We should be able to set any where from 10% to 50% reserved that makes way more sense.

This is why I run 2 dash cams. I like the high def on the B1W but I was on a trip and had this butt wipe run me off the road. It would have been great but TN police would not come out because I had not come into contact with this creep. Later that day when I arrived home, I found the file was overwritten because the cam writes in a huge file size. Now I run the B1W for on the location of an accident and one of the older style for long term recordings. And yes, the B1W is not plugged in. It fell off the windshield a couple of times and until I scuffed up the base of the B1W it would stay on the windshield. I also picked up a splitter on Amazon and power both off the same hardwire.

Attachments

• dual dash cams.JPG
    dual dash cams.JPG
    195.2 KB · Views: 15
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R B1W 10
H B1W 4
M B1W 12
B B1W 1
M B1W 2
Back