Loop recording with 128gb card

Mike007

Reaction score
Country
United States
I copied this from an old post that never got an answer.

I've taken the following three sentences from https://www.mobius-actioncam.com/faq/ -

128GB cards will also work but cannot be correctly formatted to FAT32 using the built-in formatting routine (as of firmware v2.18).

It is recommended to only use FAT32 when loop-recording is enabled.

For optimal card performance it is recommended to always use the camera’s built-in formatter.

If I combine the logic of these three sentences, am I right in thinking a 128GB card cannot be used for loop recording and be compliant with the FAQ recommendations?

I'm hoping I can get reliable loop recording with a Samsung 128gb PRO. After formatting in-camera with msetup, the software would not recognize it. I then formatted it with the SD Card Association formatter and it recognized it. It recorded fine the first time but there's one spot on my commute where it stopped then promptly started back again.

I've not had any issues with 128gb cards saying that they are not Samsung cards my defualt brand is the cheaper Kingson's.
Try running your card through one of the memory card utility tools to check for errors.

Whatever formatting tool you use as long as you get a working camera then great.

Formatting memory cards if / for a mobius you should use the format option in the GUI tool for setup, in general a new memory card or one formatted on something else, need to be formatted upon insertion into a camera.
More conventional dashcams will often give a alarm and ask for the memory card to be formatted upon first boot with the new memory card, but in the little no screen mobius that is of course not a option.

The little H2testw software are able to scan a memory card for errors, but you need to let it run on all the memory card and not just some unused space.
I can not recall if you can do that with the mobius connected to the computer acting in mass storage mode, personally i have never used the cameras like that as they are very slow, so i put the memory card in a fast USB 3 card reader.

Both of the above. I ran Samsung EVO Select 128GB cards in mine without issue, but I formatted those in 'msetup' because I discovered that with other cards there were sometimes problems when they were formatted otherwise. Sometimes a cam will do fine either way and sometimes not, so it is now my habit to always do an in-cam format as the last step before using any cam and that has eliminated any formatting-related issues with all of my various cams and cards. It simply works so do it.

Phil

I only use Samsung evo plus 128gb in my mobius cameras as very reliable... I get mine from "mymemory" £20.99 currently as just purchased another one this morning

Back