Lost footage HELP!

rhe

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey everyone - i was side swiped yesterday by a lady. I have a XCD dash cam from JB HI FI. When we exchanged details etc i sat back in the car found the video and watched it myself and saw the footage of the accident. Headed straight home and put the SD card into the computer and now i cant find the video anywhere. I have tried a recover system on the SD card to bring up deleted videos but not much has come up. I am at a loss as to whats happened as my partner and i physically viewed the footage in the car 5 minutes after it happened?!. I have tried to google a number for this XCD company but with no luck. CAN ANYONE HELP? :(

Thank you all very much

Thank you Jokiin

Sorry I can't offer useful info, it's a generic product and don't really know a lot about them

no no thats fine i understand ill give them a call and see what i can do its worth a shot! Just so annoyed i was praising the little dash cam after the accident so happy it recorded it and now im eating my words!! :(

Yeah we have done that - i have done it at my work and home computer. Took a while before i was able to view the videos and its not there by what i can see. So maybe i deleted it? But we tried a system recovery at work and nothing came back. But a lady i work with paid for a system that recovers deleted items so fingers crossed it works on her system tonight. Its just crazy how i saw it on the camera and now its gone? just so frustrated!!

Yeah we have done that - i have done it at my work and home computer. Took a while before i was able to view the videos and its not there by what i can see. So maybe i deleted it? But we tried a system recovery at work and nothing came back. But a lady i work with paid for a system that recovers deleted items so fingers crossed it works on her system tonight. Its just crazy how i saw it on the camera and now its gone? just so frustrated!!

if you didn't do any further recording after viewing there's a better chance of recovering a deleted file, if it was recording after the odds are very long

no as soon as she hit me - i pulled the car over and stopped the video. So after we exchanged all details i wanted to see if it had worked and YES the video was there thank god. But within that 20 min drive home and putting the SD card in the reader into the laptop its gone? The only thing that makes sense is i deleted it. But you have to press delete then " are you sure" and then select yes delete so i find it hard to think i deleted it but somethings had to of happened because the video isnt there. So fingers crossed it pulls up all deleted files and its hidden somewhere in there.

Perhaps the file header is corrupted. With that you can sometimes find and view the file in the camera but it won't work on a PC. Try viewing on the cam again being very careful with what buttons you push.

Phil

Reactions: rhe
If you deleted the file by accident, and then after that recorded again, then you might have a problem.

If the memory space where the recording was have not been used you might be good, and able to restore it using that colleagues recovery software, but if you have recorded after that and things have been written in that memory space completely or just part of the memory space i am afraid you might have lost your recording.
I think its a good idea to not mess with ones dashcam at the scene of a crash, better to wait until you get home and calmed down and so less likely to do user errors.
I would never even talk about my cameras if i had been in a crash, only thing i might do is look at them to ensure it / they are still recording after the event to get any footage there that might be needed later on.
Panic sure do mess things up, months agi a lade fell from a 2 floor window and landed almost on top of my car, but doing first aid on her, i had a awefull problem finding her pulse, though i am certified for the higher level of first aid.
I did find it alright and was pretty normal, but it took a embarrassing long time to do, at least thats how it felt, also took a lifetime before the ambulance arrived.

So yes it is commendable to do the right thing or do something at least in a event, but some times you just get so freaked even if its really not something special.
I ave the same in test / exam / competition situations, no matter how strong i am in the subject i perform at least 25% worse, its just something i have had to live with all my life cuz it have not gotten batter with age.

Last edited:
Back