Low battery on Nextbase 312GW

Andante

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Nextbase 312GW has started displaying "low battery" whenever it comes on in parking mode (i.e. unplugged).

I would think it's getting recharged enough, because I always have it plugged in when driving, and often I forget and leave it plugged in overnight. (In fact when I left it plugged in for 3 days without using the vehicle, the car battery went flat - that's my fault of course, but it does suggest the dashcam is charging up.)

So, is the rechargeable battery faulty? I bought the dashcam on 4th April this year. It's only started giving the "low battery" warnings in the past 3 or 4 weeks.

The battery might well be on its way out, not to mention, if it's parked outside where we're currently freezing overnight, that isn't gonna help either.

Have you been using parking mode every time since April?

It's probably one of the only downside to this current generation of nextbase cams, using batteries. I have a capacitor cam and use an old power-bank for parking

Hi DashcamPDR, thanks for your reply.

I didn't use parking mode at all till late August, when some-one drove into my vehicle while it was parked. Since then I've been paranoid! I now always keep parking mode on.

In fact I leave it on when driving, just because it's too fiddly to turn it off, and when I asked on this forum I got a reply from a Nextbase engineer saying it was ok to do so.

I don't think these rechargeable batteries can be easily replaced, so if it really is on its way out I think I'll be digging out the guarantee.

Hi @Andante

That is strange for this to start happening now I completely agree: it sounds like its on a permanently live cigarette lighter socket in the car (or permanently live fuse if hardwired)?

You mention you've been unplugging it when you exit the vehicle, how many hours a week are you driving? Or does the low battery warning flash up even after a long drive?

Hi, thanks for replies.

It's not hard-wired, I plug it in to the 12v ("cigarette lighter") socket on the dashboard. I drive mainly short journeys, maybe adding up to an hour or less per day on average. I always plug it in just after or just before I start the engine, and unplug after I stop the engine at the end of the journey. I sometimes forget to plug in, maybe 1 journey in 5. And I forget to unplug, and leave it plugged in overnight, maybe 1 time in 3. I couldn't say whether the warning still comes up after a long journey, as I haven't done a long journey for some weeks.

Maybe I should leave it plugged in tonight and see if I still get the warning tomorrow.

Leaving it plugged in overnight won't charge it if your 12V port is an accessory power. Is your 12V port always live?

It sounds like it is @CaptureYourAction if its draining the cars battery over 3 days.

I would probably suggest just charging in your house @Andante I don't want to risk your car battery again, just 2 hours would be sufficient.

Yeah, forgot he said that. Not a very strong battery if the dash cam is draining the battery after just 3 days though.

Yes, the 12v port is always live. (Just tested it with a 12v portable heater and no ignition key, to make sure.)

I can't remember whether the dash cam came with a mains charger, so I've just now plugged it into USB on my laptop to charge up. @NextBase Tiffany, did you mean 2 hours on USB?

Yes, the 12v port is always live. (Just tested it with a 12v portable heater and no ignition key, to make sure.)

I can't remember whether the dash cam came with a mains charger, so I've just now plugged it into USB on my laptop to charge up. @NextBase Tiffany, did you mean 2 hours on USB?
I would use a USB wall charger (phone charger).

Hi, I've followed your suggestions - after some hours plugged into the laptop, I then used a phone charger to charge up from the wall.

It does seem to have helped. After charging fully last night, I left it unplugged in the house overnight. I've just put it back in the car, and slammed the car door (my usual method of testing parking mode). It came on ok, and no "low battery" warning. The battery level indicator shows 2/3 full.

That sounds good @Andante it might have just got a low battery with the amount of driving you do. Please get back to me/is here if you experience this again or have any other questions.

Hi, I'm having the same problem as Andante but only bought my Dashcam mid September.
I'm not really tech minded, I pull the the wire from the cigarette lighter every time I get home but leave it on when shopping, visiting etc.
When plugged in it is coming up low battery, should I be physically switching it on and off on the camera to save battery or will that make no difference?
I will use the suggestion above and charge it in the house but would prefer not to have to keep doing this if I can avoid it.
Thanks

Welcome @Tooty

Is your cigarette lighter socket permanently live? When you come back from shopping/visiting is the camera still on and recording?

Welcome @Tooty

Is your cigarette lighter socket permanently live? When you come back from shopping/visiting is the camera still on and recording?

Yes the cigarette lighter is permanently live. I had thought it would be like a phone and charge even if the battery was low but it doesn't.

The camera is still recording when I have finished shopping as I leave it on as a safety precaution, I have not had any issues with the car battery as it tends to be unplugged most of the time.

I wasn't sure if it was an issue with the battery in the camera or not.

I dont't use parking mode. The batteries run out in 24h. I think the battery capacity is too low.
EDIT: I use 412GW (rear) + 512GW (front)

Back