Low bit-rate parking files saving to all files

CoDash

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, I DID search for this.

Anyhow I have parking mode set to one hour. I noticed that all the files go to "all files" on the card and "parking files" is empty. Is this correct? Hey any because you are nice enough to resign to this thread how long are your clips? Mine are at 3 minutes and I think that might be a long, the file sizes are pretty big.

Thanks for the response!

Yeah the low bitrate files do fall under the regular files, and so will of course be deleted when the memory card are full and it get to be their turn.
The Street guardian camera i use for parking mode generate 118 MB 3 minute parking files ( two of them as it is a dual system ) but thats a lot smaller then the regular recording files which are 3X larger

I think it is a okay setup, if they was all locked it would fill the assigned memory space sooner or later, and at least my camera it will also recycle the "protected" files eventually so the Read Only folder like the memory card in general never really fill up in the sense that it then stop recording.
As long as you keep the number of your events low and not having too many false events you will be good, i use the manual event button to save little stuff too, and i have a decent amount of files in the RO folder now, but i dont think the oldest files are getting deleted yet.

So as long as you dont get hammered in false or actual events, you will be good, even if you only look in your locked files every week or two, the content of my locked / RO folder go months back now, not least as i use another memory card for firmware updates so the main recording memory card dont get formatted very often,,,,,,, also intentionally as i am studying memory structure degradation from prolonged write / delete cycles.

you can try and create a hell of a lot false events, just to see how much will actually fit in your locked / RO folder, either by pressing the manual event button often, or flick the camera to set off the G-sensor.
I did that on my computer table with another SG camera, but i can not remember how many % of the memory card was set aside for events, or how many of there there was room for, but i do recall it was plenty and i saw no need to worry about the way things worked.

No harm in filling your locked folder, the regular driving are still in effect, but should you have a major event while doing that testing, i would of course take out the memory card shortly after that just to be on the safe side.

Actually i have the memory card of that camera right here by chance.

The 256GB card are full and recycling ( regular driving files at least )
In the event / RO folder i have 41.3GB of data in 112 files, and the oldest event file are from September 17 and thats also when the RO folder is created and so no recycling in the event / RO folder apparentl.
Where as the oldest regular driving file i have on the memory card are from January 24

I dont drive much on a weekly average probably something like 30 minutes a day MAX.

256GB card.jpg

If you decide to do the experiment with filling your locked files / RO folder, and for that matter the rest of the memory card, you can do this while driving or as i did with the camera on the table powered by a USB charger.
Just keep hammering that event button every few minutes, while you drive or do other stuff on the computer or watch TV.

The event folder when full i do believe the viofo cameras will also recycle that memory space, it would be havoc if it filled up and stopped being able to save event files.
I would also format the memory card before you start, that way you can see the time/date the folders are created and so be able to determine when files in the folder started to be overwritten to make room for new files, as in that case the time/date of the folder / folders will be older than the oldest file in those folders.

Always a good idea to play around with your new "toys" so you have a firm grasp of them and understanding what they can / will do for you, then you can relax lean back and feel good.

And then you just have to get into the habit of spending 10 minutes or so every month or two looking at the content of the memory card to see if things are in order.
In order generally mean.
1: Drives start and stop in normal places, so where you live / do your shopping / work and other things you do, and not 1/2 a mile down the road from one of those places.
2: the files can launch and play with what ever media player you use / prefer on the computer, you just have to see enough seconds of the clips you inspect to recognize where it is.
3: focus on first and last files created in drive sessions, and finish up with some random files.

Your new dashcam and memory card are not set and forget, you be wise to spend a few minutes now and then looking things over.
And do remember to format the memory card in the camera now and then, can be more rare then looking over footage, and do remember to backup stuff you want to save first.

Not familiar with your model of viofo camera.
The file structure on my memory card from the SG camera are

DCIM / movies & photo.
Movies / RO. So regular files are in the Movies folder, and in there are also the RO folder ( Read Only ) for event files, you can also see that in the picture above.
In the Photo folder are just the photos, one is snapped every time you press the event button, it is quite nice to use the photo to find the event days after when you have forgotten all about what that idiot in traffic did.

Viofo might be using other names for stuff but it cant be much different i think.

Back