Low bitrate and low fps settings

D

Deleted member 37895

I've been trying to find information about the Mobius lower bitrate and low framerate 5fps settings with no success. Seems like people are only concerned with the best quality settings.

What is the bitrate at the lowest option selectable? And when you reduce FPS does it scale the bitrate to have the same size per frame? For example if you're getting 12mbps at 30fps, does 5fps yield 2mbps?

I've been trying to find information about the Mobius lower bitrate and low framerate 5fps settings with no success. Seems like people are only concerned with the best quality settings.

What is the bitrate at the lowest option selectable? And when you reduce FPS does it scale the bitrate to have the same size per frame? For example if you're getting 12mbps at 30fps, does 5fps yield 2mbps?

You can find the information you are looking for very easily. Simply shoot some video at the desired frame rate(s) and bitrate settings and then open the video in any decent quality media player and have a look at the data.

For example, if you open the video in VLC and select "Media Information" (on a Mac in this instance) you will see a window with all the information about the video file you are looking at including the frame rate and bit rate.

fps_VLC.jpg bitrate_VLC.jpg

If you open the video in QuickTime Player and select "Show Movie Inspector" (again, on a Mac in this instance) you will see a window with the file data.

quicktime_inspector.jpg

I don't have one, I ordered one but if I can't get the bitrate low enough I will return it

bitrate doesn't change with the lower frame rate

Thanks, well that's a bummer.

What about time lapse mode? The alternative is a GoPro Hero5 Session set to 2fps videolapse

timelapse mode typically creates much smaller files, you effectively just divide the frame rate to work it out, eg 5fps timelapse generally gives a file one sixth the size of a 30fps video file

The lower fps does change bitrate. I tested 5fps at medium quality and it comes out to 118MB per 5 minute clip which is about 3mbps.

Timelapse at 2fps yields 1mbps. So timelapse is useful if you want to reduce your bitrate even lower than you get with 5fps video, but you also lose audio and lose the ability to cap the time on each file.

What I've learned in a few months of experimentation... Medium bitrate is about 15mbps at 30fps and high bitrate is about 18mbps. But low bitrate seems to be a true variable bitrate that varies dramatically based on usage. Staying still used as a security camera where most of the scene is static, the bitrate drops dramatically

Staying still used as a security camera where most of the scene is static, the bitrate drops dramatically
Thanks, that's the information I was looking for. I'm trying to use a dashcam (or action cam) as a temporary security camera. I tried my B1W but the continuous video bitrate was too high. I tried a Mobius in timelapse mode, but it does not loop record properly. I'll have a go at low bitrate video.

Back