Low voltage cutoff for cigarette lighter

luchun

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
Please help.
I have Viofo a129 duo and hardwired, but camera shut down in parking mode sometimes after 1, 2 or 3hours, and I need 10 hours of recording
So something is wrong with voltage on hardwire cables or something in car voltage.
And I was curious, is there some low voltage cut off but for cigarette lighter socket, and to have USB to power my dashcam?

Thanks for advices.

How old is your car battery?
What is the voltage cut off point set on the hardwiring kit?
Measure the voltage of the car battery after 3h of viofo being in parking mode recording.

How old is your car battery?
Measure the voltage of the car battery after 3h of viofo being in parking mode recording.
Battery is almost new. Voltage was 12.7 V, and my camera was already off in parking mode hardwired and voltage cut off was set to 11.8 V.
So I would like not to use hardwire kit, but power through car cigarette lighter, but with some cut off feature.

Your Hardwire kit may set a timer?

How is hardwire connected? Using fuses bypasses? What fuses cavities do you use?

Is there any chance there is an OEM LVD in your car for the lighter socket?
Cuts off accessories when parked automatically when voltage drops? (One of the cig lighter sockets in my old GMC has LVD already, the other stays hot. )

How is hardwire connected? Using fuses bypasses? What fuses cavities do you use?
My elektrician connected without fuses bypasses, directly on wires behind car lights switch on picture..he said that this wire has 12.X V before ingnition.
Car is Skoda Fabia 1,9 Sdi 2006. Time when camera shut varies from 1 hour to 5-6 hours.
And whem camera shut down, multimeter shows always highrer then 12 V (between 12.3V and 12.7V)20190407_032131.jpg20190407_025754.jpg20190406_141159.jpg

Is there any chance there is an OEM LVD in your car for the lighter socket?
Cuts off accessories when parked automatically when voltage drops? (One of the cig lighter sockets in my old GMC has LVD already, the other stays hot. )
Skoda fabia 1,9 SDI, and cigarette lighter has constant power when car off and parked...when i record powered through cigarette lighter camera records constant, without problems. So I just need some low voltage cut off when conected through cigarette lighter. If something like that exists?

Rhundo make a cig lighter product that will do what you want
I can't find any thats really cut off power when voltage drops belowe desired lovel, only found those who make notification only, not cut off..can you help, please.

Yeah the rhundo are sweet, make the other 2 splitters i have look what they are ( cheap garbage ) and on top of that it have a range of features the other ones i have lack.

If circuit isn't cut-off it means that Viofo Hardwire Kit is faulty. You should replace it with new, working one.
But before you should connect hardwire (with fuse!) directly to the battery. If it will switch-off the camera too soon you will be sure that it's problem with faulty Viofo Hardwire Kit.

Last edited:
:eek:
Please do have your electrician add an inline fuse to that circuit. It would be no fun getting a face full of wire insulation smoke if something shorts out while driving, then watching the car burn up after you stop and get out so you can breathe again 1.5A or 2A should be adequate but if nothing else is handy a 5A fuse should do.

Phil

:eek:
Please do have your electrician add an inline fuse to that circuit. It would be no fun getting a face full of wire insulation smoke if something shorts out while driving, then watching the car burn up after you stop and get out so you can breathe again 1.5A or 2A should be adequate but if nothing else is handy a 5A fuse should do.

Phil
Aren't this wires already after main fuses? Camera is connected to parking lights wires. Look pictures up. Behind car light switch. My electrician said that I am safe with that :confused:

The taillight circuit will be fused, but probably much higher than the cam wiring is rated for. And if the cam wiring shorts out it may not blow that fuse as it should. Even if it did blow, you'd be without taillights which is unsafe. By adding the smaller fuse in the cam wiring, should the cam wiring short to ground only that fuse would blow while leaving the taillights functional. Just an added layer of safety but wise to do!

Phil

Thanks, but as my hardwird camera does not work well (sometimes turn off after one or several hours) , as mentioned in this post, I will order RHUNDO RS-20S, and power through cigarete lighter, but still had battery dishcharge prevention.

Back