Low voltage drop USB power cable - USB A male to Mini B 5 pin male

murcod

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Mobius, A119v2, A119v3
I'm struggling to find a decent USB power cable USB A male to Mini B 5 pin male- has anyone got any suggestions?

I'm looking for around 2m length, with decent gauge wiring (not the standard 28AWG) and shielded.

2m is not particularly long, loss shouldn't be an issue at that length, what power supply are you using?

I'm replacing a 3m that appears to have issues with the actual USB A connector. It fails nearly 100% of the time when plugged directly into the power supply, but works every time an inline USB voltage/ current meter is in circuit. Cleaning the contacts made no difference. The meter does appear to have slightly higher contacts in the USB A connector.

So time for a new/ better quality cable. The power supply is also being replaced, but has made no difference to the fault. If I'm replacing the cable, this time I want a decent quality cable.

Thanks Harsh, that's a bit too long. I want to try and minimise the cable length this time.

(I was actually searching through my camera bits trying to find the cable that came with my A119, but I think I installed it into my other car for the rear facing Mobius. That vehicle has got noise issues on the DAB with the rear window antenna. I don't know if it's the poor shielding on the cable, the power supply or the Mobius. I'll do more fault finding on that one later.)

I did find this place that seems to make above average cables - you can even get the correct angled Mini B end (which means I can do away with the short adaptor.) They use 24AWG for the power wires http://www.usbfirewire.com/ucablecam5b.html

(I was actually searching through my camera bits trying to find the cable that came with my A119, but I think I installed it into my other car for the rear facing Mobius. That vehicle has got noise issues on the DAB with the rear window antenna. I don't know if it's the poor shielding on the cable, the power supply or the Mobius. I'll do more fault finding on that one later.)

most likely the Mobius, it's electrically very noisy

The RC community could care less, most don't use it or have the audio turned off anyway. Takes away from the experience when put to use as a dash cam, have turned audio off on both my M1's.

The RC community could care less, most don't use it or have the audio turned off anyway. Takes away from the experience when put to use as a dash cam, have turned audio off on both my M1's.

it's not the audio, it is noisy from an EMI perspective, some of the RC crowd do have problems with it as it interferes with some models of GPS

it's not the audio, it is noisy from an EMI perspective, some of the RC crowd do have problems with it as it interferes with some models of GPS

But it filters into the audio with all the buzzing, hissing and similar sounds. No other camera I've used suffers to such a degree while using the same exact cables and power supplies.

Last edited:
But it filters into the audio with all the buzzing, hissing and similar sounds. No other camera I've used suffers to such a degree while using the same exact cables and power supplies.

yeah the mic picks up noise but in the case of interfering with DAB reception that isn't the type of noise I was referring to in this case, it will interfere with the radio reception

yeah the mic picks up noise but in the case of interfering with DAB reception that isn't the type of noise I was referring to in this case, it will interfere with the radio reception

The Mobius's audio goes for a complete toss while going under pockets where there's a lot of wiring overhead.

The SG9665GC stays immune, the A119S maintains the slight buzz reported, but the audio from the Mobius cameras starts buzzing like crazy and gets muffled.

Here's an example -

1:55 onwards

And yes the FM reception in my car has been totally crap since I installed the first dash cam in my car.

Last edited:
One more

1:10 onwards

There are a bunch of different wires coming to the pole near the market's exit and the Mobius does this every time.

I'll try swapping the A119 into that position and test if there's any difference with the DAB. Plus try a different supply and different cable if the camera change doesn't improve things. That camera is mounted on the tail gate of a Ford Kuga (USA Escape) and the USB cable runs behind the trim panels close to the antenna amplifiers and wiring.

I've never noticed problems with the Mobius audio. It seems a lot more sensitive (louder) than the A119.

Back