Lower-down mounting options?

car109

Reaction score
Country
United States
First post here, thanks in advance for the help.

I am considering the A119v3 but do _not_ want to mount it at the top of the windshield/windscreen near the rearview mirror.

Instead, I'd prefer a lower mounting position, either low on the windshield or attached to the dashboard. I'm wondering what my options are here.

In particular, if I simply place the unit on the dashboard with some Velcro for stability and I point the buttons up (so I can use them), then the video will be captured upside down, right?

Any thoughts on the best way to mount the A119v3 relatively low on the windshield or atop the dashboard itself? I'd be willing to purchase additional material to make this work if that's what's required.

The big problem with that is that for it to see through the area covered by the wipers. it will need to be high enough to be blocking the driver's view, and thus illegal. There is also a disadvantage that the view from down there results in the road occupying a rather small part of the image, looking down on the road from the top gives you the road occupying half the image, which gives more detail and better exposure.

Why do you not want to mount it at the top?

Yes, good point about the view. Mainly I don't want to mount it at the top because I don't plan to mess with routing a power cable through the headliners/A pillar and such and instead just want to run a power cord from the 12V outlet between the seats directly up to the A119v3. With the A119v3 at the top, the power cord would run vertically for most of the height of the windshield and I had been assuming this would be visually distracting (if not illegal as you mention).

@car109

I decided to test and mounted dash cam at the bottom of the windshield and 70% of the video frame was the hood of my car, and the rest of the view was useless.

USB cable provided with A119 cams is pretty long. I have A119 V1 cams in my wife's minivan, my son' car, and A119 V3 in my car. All mounted the same way - at the top of the windshield, behind rear view mirror, to the right (passenger side) of the mirror mount, because mirror is tilted toward driver side and there is enough space to the right to mount cam and it doesn't distract your view. USB cable tucked under headliner, then under A pillar, then goes down to the foot well, then goes under the floor mat and into 12 V cigarette outlet in the center console. It is very easy to tuck USB cable underneath headliner and behind A pillar.

First post here, thanks in advance for the help.

I am considering the A119v3 but do _not_ want to mount it at the top of the windshield/windscreen near the rearview mirror.

Instead, I'd prefer a lower mounting position, either low on the windshield or attached to the dashboard. I'm wondering what my options are here.

In particular, if I simply place the unit on the dashboard with some Velcro for stability and I point the buttons up (so I can use them), then the video will be captured upside down, right?

Any thoughts on the best way to mount the A119v3 relatively low on the windshield or atop the dashboard itself? I'd be willing to purchase additional material to make this work if that's what's required.

I suggest trying a Gitup G3 it allows for a dashboard mounting plus others if you do not want cam at the top of the screen and it is also possible to invert the video. Comes with the mounts for such a positions. And the added advantage of being a action camera and stills as well. It as most function needed of a dashcam minus parking mode and some others features of the dashcam (which I rarely use). It has looping as per a dashcam. It also has wi-fi and Bluetooth and up to 2880x2160 resolution and the possibility to have a rear cam. Battery driven but uses 5v mini USB to charge the battery or power the cam. Worth a look for your requirement.

Back