Lowering the jpeg resolution (or video FPS)

anthony_cam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm wanting to run a timelapse at low resolution/quality to get the maximum time out of the space available. I was hoping to get images at 100KB, but the lowest resolution on my Yi comes out at around 1.3MB.

I've looked at various autoexec.ash settings but none seem to be for lowering the resolution or quality. Has anyone tried to do this?

The other option would be 1 FPS video to achieve the same result, does anyone know if that's possible at all?

Thanks!

I can't comment on the Yi directly but video uses very high compression to enable it to store and process the frame rates required (usually at least 24fps). That results in very poor quality stills. Although you're talking about 1fps here, even if it were possible, I doubt the compression would alter. So in essence you're better off with stills settings if you're wanting to take stills.

There was some software for CCTV not so long ago where the camera took stills at I think around 8-10fps instead of video as the results were much better quality than recorded video. I'm not sure the idea ever took off though.

A bit off subject but useful insight (bottom link might be useful if you also have a Canon camera though).

Also, if you're using it at home then the 1st link of connecting it to a PC might be helpful as then you can save the pics to pc instead of the camera, making compression / storage less of an issue:

Bottom of page: http://www.wsystems.com/news/cctv-camera.html

Special Firmware for Canon digital stills cameras: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

Sorry I can't help specifically with the Yi. But I'm guessing the manufacturer has gone for maximum quality rather than minimum size with the timelapse options.

Great info, & thanks for the links.

The reason I was considering video was because it seemed to have more associated config values, good point on the low quality stills - I hadn't considered that, although if the file size was low enough I could probably handle it.

Using external storage may be an option, I'll continue my search!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
JRSim_UIX Yi Action Camera 1
Elemar Yi Action Camera 4
Back