LS400W Blurry When Hot

mordred

Reaction score
Country
United States
Anyone else have this issue?

After sitting in the parking lot sun for the day I found the images from the camera on the drive home to be very blurry. I have had the unit exactly 24 hours now and would like input as to whether to keep it or not.

I, as others have, asked the mfg. for the latest firmware and was told to contact the re-seller. Installed version is LS400W 1305310-SC-2. I am quite sure what I am seeing is a hardware deficiency but maybe a firmware problem?

Also, it appears that the LS400 is blocking my Blackvue 500 from receiving its' initial GPS signal. Once it acquires the fix (after the LS400 is shut off) it tracks accurately, even when I turn the DOD unit back on.

Typically this is due to cheap lens or lens holder. Nothing can be done but replace the lens and / or lens holder.

While this camera has great video quality for the price, it seems like quality / overall reliability may be average at best. I wonder if the quality depends on where it was purchased?

Funny my ls300w don´t blurry when hot days 30o-32o :mrgreen: , i hope it´s don´t blurry in future either :?

Quality Control got bad days at Dod ?
LS400W Lens holder are bad ?
and even more strange LS400W suppose be a Hot Weather More capable cam duo extra ventilation.

DashCamMan said:
I wonder if the quality depends on where it was purchased?

I purchased from e-prance off Amazon US and they have been great so far in trying to help with:

1. Blurry picture
2. Updating firmware
3. Shaking in the camera mount - the mounting hardware is tight and suctioned to the windscreen, however due to the slim design and hanging down so far I get vibrations when going over not so smooth pavement. Not rough by any means, just not smooth.

GeorgesNJR said:
LS400W suppose be a Hot Weather More capable cam duo extra ventilation.

I think what all manufacturers need to incorporate into their designs are external heat sinks as some early Blackvue owners have done.

Not for me

My LS400W work for past 2 month without any problems .
Firmware version LS400W20130461
SanDisk Ultra 32 GB microSDHC Class 10.
I did contact DOD for Firmware update I was told that they will open RMA than, I need to pay $35 to DOD CANADA for service call and sent unit to devise center in NY. Shipping back is free.

My only problem with LS400W that 3M mount is not available. By info from DOD 3M mount is in work.

Are these cameras fixed focus?

I have noticed something with this and one other camera I have - when it is "hot" (sunny) the cameras appear to be blurry. If the cameras are NOT fixed focus, the issue is that they are focusing on the reflection that is projected on the windscreen and not on the road ahead. Make sense? It appears to me that the 400W is not fixed focus but I do not have an easy way to test this theory.

They sure do focus well on the reflection then.

jokiin said:
When the focus goes off the focal point will change so some other point will be in focus

Since mine gt300w moves focal point closer when hot, then i would say that it's not the lense holder, and not objective overall, because heat makes things bigger and focal point should move further to my understanding.
My guess is that there is some spacer ring inside objective and when it expands it makes some lense move backwards, thus making focus come closer.
Would it be possible that some objectives are not assembled as tight as they should be :?:

Poor quality lens, lens housing or main board, the cmos generates a lot of heat, add ambient temperature to the equation and component quality becomes even more important

I had the same problem after leaving both cameras (front and back) in the car on the heat.
Solution: Let it cool down and it will go back to normal, don't leave the camera in the car while parking.
When these cheap cameras heat up, they blur the image.
When you attach the camera just before driving it can be on direct sun and will record ok, because you have airconditioning on and the camera stays cool. (imagine yourself in the car on direct sun on a hot day with closed windows, it will be pretty hot. Same applies also for the camera )
This is extra price on top of the one you pay in the shop.

Back