ls400w dissapointment

silver999

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys...

decided to buy my first dashcam after constant frustration with my free app/old mobile attempt. I went for the ls400w over the ls300w simply for the extra buttons and better looking suction mount. I chose DOD for the great apperture and wide angle (mio looked good to me but was f2.0 and 120degree only).

Arrived yesterday from DOD UK and must say very dissapointed. The unit feels cheap in hand...cheapest possible plastics used but oh well....bought it for the footage I suppose! Setting it up was difficult because the buttons would act v strange....sometimes the up/down buttons would skip 2 options at a time so could only adjust 50% of the available settings! (off on again and would sort that) . Made the mistake of putting on a password but upon entering the menu it would ask for password and constantly auto-scroll not giving enough time to scroll to correct digits....this strangely corrected itself after half an hour!

The on board screen quality is appalling with horrendous viewing angles....again...not a deal killer. What is the deal killer however is the constant MEMORY FAULT! Ive now tried Sandisk Ultimate class 10 16gb and Transcend Premium class 10 32gb. Very sporadic faults sometimes lasts only 3seconds before stopping recording (losing all three seconds of footage). I bought this unit to record up to 10 hrs of driving a day....i do not want to have an accident to finding its given up recording 5 min previous! (A MAJOR ISSUE IS THE FAULT MESSAGE DISSAPEARS AFTER 3SECS SO IF YOU'RE NOT WATCHING THE SCREEN WHEN THE FAULT OCCURS YOU ASSUME ITS WORKING! unless you check for the tiny red flashing (I prefer to watch the road though!)) Whilst typing Ive had it recording next to me and its just stopped at 2min 30secs with no fault message (loop record on, motion off (does lack of motion stop it recording or is it simply a way of starting recording...no idea, instructions are sooooo basic!)

Will be returing and hoping I can get a refund so I can go elsewhere....£120 NOT WELL SPENT IMO

PS the footage I did get was amazing looking on 42" tv but theres plenty of 1080p wdr cams out there

Its a sad when those things happens. You have right for a full refund upon return.
As I can see your budget is around 190usd. I can recommend you Panorama2 from Powerucc. Its my favorite choice. After over 4 month of constant use and different side by side tests with many other dash cams its still the best I ever had.
You may take few hours and read whole Panorama2 thread to see if that dash cam suits your needs.

we have a memory topic on ls300w section , check it

sandisk not working well whit ls400w/300w , it´s being a lottery some unit works some not , transcend also someone reported error.
would recommend you a Samsung Plus model Class 10 32GB (not pro model) its cheaper class 10 and be working well for me. :mrgreen:
camera is not even working for you in moment duo MicroSD problems.

when you manage make it work check if it´s not bluring on hot days, some users reported problems on ls400w.
ls300w being working quite ok for me apart no suport from dod, no updates.

GeorgesNJR said:

sandisk not working well whit ls400w/300w , it´s being a lottery some unit works some not , transcend also someone reported error.
would recommend you a Samsung Plus model Class 10 32GB (not pro model) its cheaper class 10 and be working well for me. :mrgreen:

when you manage make it work check if it´s not bluring on hot days, some users reported problems on ls400w.

I hear what you're saying but I dont think its very good where sometimes a card may or may not work! Ive heard of plenty of Sandisk problems but usually on their 32gb and 64gb cards. Transcend is comparible in quality to Samsung. Its poor manufacturing/programming thats to blame here....Im not exactly wingin it with budget no name generic cards!!!

Oh and also the ""quick release"" suction mount is very poor design...cheap, ineffective, annoying, time consuming....all things I dont expect after buying a mid-range product....

silver999 said:
GeorgesNJR said:

when you manage make it work check if it´s not blurring on hot days, some users reported problems on ls400w.

I hear what you're saying but I dont think its very good where sometimes a card may or may not work! Ive heard of plenty of Sandisk problems but usually on their 32gb and 64gb cards. Transcend is compatible in quality to Samsung. Its poor manufacturing/programming thats to blame here....Im not exactly winging it with budget no name generic cards!!!

Oh and also the ""quick release"" suction mount is very poor design...cheap, ineffective, annoying, time consuming....all things I dont expect after buying a mid-range product....

got your frustration

my unit works but i don´t have any updates , recently dod released a firmware whit white balance , AWB , Plate Stamp , Password and they won´t share whit users
also support is inexistent.
mount is crap for all LS series , mine close dropped a lot times till i manage put pressure for fix it. i still think in buy adhesive mount for be sure wont drop.

what i trying say about memory duo their incompetency in make a stable firmware , the Dash is instable whit a lot of MicroSD´s , not being a Brand Nazi but some brands
won´t work on ls400w/gt300w/ls300w , can see here , viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1600

so i figure how is face problems and the Brand don´t give any support for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with all the above.
I do not think the LS400 is a good buy at all.
I'm not sure I will take another chance on DOD products unless i see a lot of positive reviews on it
I knew i was taking a chance when I got it as soon as it came out so I got burned (in my mind). No complaint there. I think I'll go with a tried and true.
Glenn

I got a swift offer of a full refund so no complaints on aftersales service for DOD UK...lets hope they stick to it and make better quality items in the future then they might just have a winning combination!

grholme said:
I think I'll go with a tried and true.
Glenn

any ideas? looking at the aiptek x5 or mio 368 right now. Drive a van so size/form is no issue to me.... Thought Id chosen wisely! Love the look of the TF2 too but no parking mode....(not sure how necessary tho)

so ...
Vico TF2,
Aiptek 360
OR
Mio 368
OR
something else non chinese!

TIA :geek:

niko said:
I can recommend you Panorama2 from Powerucc. Its my favorite choice.

I cant find a supplier to UK!

silver999 said:
I got a swift offer of a full refund so no complaints on aftersales service for DOD UK...lets hope they stick to it and make better quality items in the future then they might just have a winning combination!

grholme said:
I think I'll go with a tried and true.
Glenn

any ideas? looking at the aiptek x5 or mio 368 right now. Drive a van so size/form is no issue to me.... Thought Id chosen wisely! Love the look of the TF2 too but no parking mode....(not sure how necessary tho)

so ...
Vico TF2,
Aiptek 360
OR
Mio 368
OR
something else non chinese!

TIA :geek:

Vicovation TF2+ if you don´t mind the size being well claimed over here , don´t heard nobody complain about her yet.
can visit Vico section you don´t going find any complain.

by the way if you can handle a price , check the WF-1 , http://www.vicovation.com/product.asp?IDno=18&lang=en i maybe getting one , it´s came whit Wireless that can be adjusted on cellphone
and picture quality seems will be pair on new generation models.

aiptek and mio i don´t know much.

My LS400W work for past 2 month without any problems .
Firmware version LS400W20130461
SanDisk Ultra 32 GB microSDHC Class 10.
I did contact DOD for Firmware update I was told that they will open RMA than, I need to pay $35 to DOD CANADA for service call and sent unit to devise center in NY. Shipping back is free.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376113649.916869.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376113649.916869.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 431
Zuntax said:
I did contact DOD for Firmware update I was told that they will open RMA than, I need to pay $35 to DOD CANADA for service call and sent unit to devise center in NY. Shipping back is free.

wow that's extreme, they're really worried about anyone getting hold of the firmware by the sounds of it

Not really, my request went to China office, then china ask me my Serial Number and only after Two or Three days they setup RMA from Canada office. But after reading that some forum member have different Firmware version and some having problems with SD card I decide to check with Canadian office what version they will be installing on my unit first. If its warming why do anything.

I will update as soon as I have info from DOD Canada.

Zuntax said:
My LS400W work for past 2 month without any problems .
Firmware version LS400W20130461
SanDisk Ultra 32 GB microSDHC Class 10.

You have double copy-paste posts. Here and there:

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1577&p=21974#p21974

Please stick with one thread.

Now for my questions:
why you need " ... to pay $35 to DOD CANADA for service call " ?

Regarding question please see above.
Regarding double posts I'm note pasting anything.

May be threads connected or I don't know.

In with one you want to continue the conversation?

Zuntax said:

Strange if threads connected.
Anyway, you wrote: " ... I did contact DOD for Firmware update "

So, in order to update, you need to post it back, pay your part of shipping cost and on top of then extra 35usd, right ?

Regarding double posting that may be my app Tapatalk. Because I just sent reply and it was twice.

niko said:
Zuntax said:

So, in order to update, you need to post it back, pay your part of shipping cost and on top of then extra 35usd, right ?
See below email from Canadian office.

Please advise your customer to ship the defective unit to the following address.

DOD Tech Canada

Attn: RMA Dept - RMA# RMA########
1711 Cudaback Avenue, Suite 4940
Niagara Falls, NY, 14303
United States

As for the Service Payment of $35.00 USD, please tell the customer to send via PayPal.

Our Paypal e-Mail address is: paypal@dod-tech.ca[/quote]

Zuntax said:
niko said:
Zuntax said:

See below email from Canadian office.

Please advise your customer to ship the defective unit to the following address.

DOD Tech Canada

Attn: RMA Dept - RMA# RMA########
1711 Cudaback Avenue, Suite 4940
Niagara Falls, NY, 14303
United States

As for the Service Payment of $35.00 USD, please tell the customer to send via PayPal.

Our Paypal e-Mail address is: paypal@dod-tech.ca
[/quote]

So shipping to service center is on ME and payment for service call (repair or update). Shipping pack is free.
Shipping from NY,NY to service center is $15.

Right
$35 + shipping to service center.
In my case it will be $50.
But I what to check with Canada office what what Firmware version it will be updated first.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Dash Cam Discussion 1