ls400w dissapointment

Zuntax said:
Parking mode: camera record motion detection when it parked.
When camera detect movement it will start recording with 1 or 2 second delay.
Please note that camera must be on all the time.
Ah, I see. I'll be using the cigarette lighter which switches off when the ignition is off. My previous DVR had a back-up battery which only lasted a few hours but the motion sensor didn't seem that good to me. But I can see that would be quite useful...

fortuner said:
Zuntax said:
Ah, I see. I'll be using the cigarette lighter which switches off when the ignition is off. My previous DVR had a back-up battery which only lasted a few hours but the motion sensor didn't seem that good to me. But I can see that would be quite useful...

You can install inline connection, but as for me I do not trust and I will not leave camera with a built-in battery in my car, because of the sun and high temperature in side the car plus it's dangerous.
From what now DOD battery's are not certified in USA there for I will not get paid via insurance claim, incase of fire inside the car if it caused by camera.

It better be safe then sorry.
I'm using DOD LS400W only in drive mode as loop recording.

fortuner said:
Zuntax said:

For parking mode with motion detection you need to hard-wire power cable to live constant 12v ( usually in fuse box ) and its recommended to use battery discharge prevention device as well.

Zuntax said:
fortuner said:
Zuntax said:

You can install inline connection, but as for me I do not trust and I will not leave camera with a built-in battery in my car, because of the sun and high temperature in side the car plus it's dangerous.
From what now DOD battery's are not certified in USA there for I will not get paid via insurance claim, incase of fire inside the car if it caused by camera.

You have a good pint regarding insurance in case of dash camera battery explodes / get on fire. Thats why most Korean high end dash cameras using capacitors instead of batteries.

That will have to be done with my LS400w justice remove battery... Only if it's possible to replace with capacitor.
Or just take camera of all the time,
despite the fact that point of the DVR is to work 24/7 as CCTY.
Or I will have to buy one more camera..

At least this is my understanding of the security.
Some times car can be damaged in parking or on street when regular dash can is off.

ok...decided to go for the Mio 388 from Navi-man via ebay, from Taiwan. I'll probably get the squaretrade with it which will negate the fear of no returns if it goes faulty. £125 posted plus £25 squaretrade (UK RRP is £200 so an extended warranty and £50 saving!) :D ;) :D
Not sure on the night images (yet) and only 120degree vision but on the positives; GPS, decent swivel mound, parking mode, WDR, speed camera alerts and apparently the Russians love all the Mio models. Will report back :ugeek:

Zuntax said:

That's a very good point. Don't most devices that have batteries installed say not to leave in the sun...

fortuner said:
Zuntax said:

That's a very good point. Don't most devices that have batteries installed say not to leave in the sun...

Thats why most self-respected Korean dash camera makers using capacitors. I think one day other makers also change batteries to capacitors.

niko said:
fortuner said:
Zuntax said:

Thats why most self-respected Korean dash camera makers using capacitors. I think one day other makers also change batteries to capacitors.

price is probably what's stopping them, batteries (particularly the type most use) are very cheap, our new models we're finishing off now are without batteries and use 4 super capacitors instead

jokiin said:
price is probably what's stopping them, batteries (particularly the type most use) are very cheap, our new models we're finishing off now are without batteries and use 4 super capacitors instead

Wooww, 4 super-capacitors ? Thats something new to me. Till now most Korean dash cams I open, i saw aether 1 or 2 super capacitors. Yours 4 capacitors must be next step. Waiting to see and test them soon.

niko said:
jokiin said:

Wooww, 4 super-capacitors ? Thats something new to me. Till now most Korean dash cams I open, i saw aether 1 or 2 super capacitors. Yours 4 capacitors must be next step. Waiting to see and test them soon.

they're used in pairs, some vendors wrap two together so it may look like one larger capacitor, I know (thanks to Mtz cutting his open) that the Itronics is like this, looks like one but it's actually two, haven't seen any design that can use a single capacitor, maybe they're using something different if that's what they're doing

first model that will be ready is a single camera version which would work fine on two capacitors but we're building it to suit the next version which is dual cam so are going with four capacitors for that reason, adds a bit of cost but gives as a larger buffer

jokiin said:
niko said:
jokiin said:

they're used in pairs, some vendors wrap two together so it may look like one larger capacitor, I know (thanks to Mtz cutting his open) that the Itronics is like this, looks like one but it's actually two, haven't seen any design that can use a single capacitor, maybe they're using something different if that's what they're doing

first model that will be ready is a single camera version which would work fine on two capacitors but we're building it to suit the next version which is dual cam so are going with four capacitors for that reason, adds a bit of cost but gives as a larger buffer

I see now. It the same as on Panorama2 using two capacitors: one is to keep internal memory data / info, another one is for recording last video clip after car engine ignition is switched off. OK, lets wait and see.

niko said:
I see now. It the same as on Panorama2 using two capacitors: one is to keep internal memory data / info, another one is for recording last video clip after car engine ignition is switched off. OK, lets wait and see.

I think both processes would be fed from the same paired capacitors, the caps are 2.7v so need to be used in pairs for 5v circuits

Can I ask what is name your brand, what form factor and specs will be used?

jokiin said:
Zuntax said:
Can I ask what is name your brand, what form factor and specs will be used?

I'll provide all the details when we are closer to release

Ok cool thanks. I was just asking because I'm looking for new dash cam and I do note what to have to many cameras..

Hi Guys.
Well I bashed on LS400W earlier in this thread, maybe some of it is a bit unfair. Here's what I did

1.When looking at screen on back of unit it never recorded much beyond 23 - 60 seconds record time before it started back at zero. I had set the default to 3 minutes I took advice seen here and changed the Micro SDHC card that I was using from Sandisk 32gb Ultra to Lexar. Now it began to record Properly in 3 minute segments. (note: Yes, I had initialized the Sandisk card, examined it for errors, etc.)

2.When Running VLAN to view the movies I'd get erratic displays and missing segments. When using the new Lexar card the display was now in 3 minute segments although periodically I'd still get a skip or an image that would all of a sudden go screwy and look like it was melting.

3.I changed from Windows Vista with VLAN to usingi Vlan under Linux and everything smoothed out and ran just fine.

So in summary
1. LS400W did not like Sandisk Ultra 32 gb. (Card fault or LS400W,, I suspect probably Sandisk but still???)
2.Erratic display when displaying using VLAN on my laptop using Windows Vista & Vlan (System fault, not ls400w)

Conclusion, the LS400W is not as bad as I originally thought and it took the blame for faults in card and PC system. Do I now think I have a good Dashcam... No,, it is passable but not really what I want to settle on. I'll search for better. I keep thinking Vico, Finevue, Lukas, or maybe stick with cheapos until a really good on hits the market.

grholme said:
Hi Guys.
Well I bashed on LS400W earlier in this thread, maybe some of it is a bit unfair. Here's what I did

1.When looking at screen on back of unit it never recorded much beyond 23 - 60 seconds record time before it started back at zero. I had set the default to 3 minutes I took advice seen here and changed the Micro SDHC card that I was using from Sandisk 32gb Ultra to Lexar. Now it began to record Properly in 3 minute segments. (note: Yes, I had initialized the Sandisk card, examined it for errors, etc.)

2.When Running VLAN to view the movies I'd get erratic displays and missing segments. When using the new Lexar card the display was now in 3 minute segments although periodically I'd still get a skip or an image that would all of a sudden go screwy and look like it was melting.

3.I changed from Windows Vista with VLAN to usingi Vlan under Linux and everything smoothed out and ran just fine.

So in summary
1. LS400W did not like Sandisk Ultra 32 gb. (Card fault or LS400W,, I suspect probably Sandisk but still???)
2.Erratic display when displaying using VLAN on my laptop using Windows Vista & Vlan (System fault, not ls400w)

Conclusion, the LS400W is not as bad as I originally thought and it took the blame for faults in card and PC system. Do I now think I have a good Dashcam... No,, it is passable but not really what I want to settle on. I'll search for better. I keep thinking Vico, Finevue, Lukas, or maybe stick with cheapos until a really good on hits the market.
#

It's good you figured out how to get it working, but in our modern world dash camera should be fool-proof to use for everyday user who wants to use different brand name memory cards, or play on different PC-s, using different video players, etc. It is not practical when you need to go through test and try as you did.
Thank for doing deep research / test.
Interesting is that LS300W did not had any of those problems, at least mine still work solid for nearly 5 month of use, no memory card issues ( tried many times with even cheapest few years old microsd-s), no errors / glitches, plays on any PC with any media player.

I can confirm only one problem that is video play back on Windows Vista 32bit. And problem was not in operation system it is video card limitation of playing back real 1080p 30fps.
Most pc's with Windows Vista's have integrated video card that limits them for only 720p maximum of clear playback.
Tested on 2 old Windows vista pc's ones is 4 years another is 5 years.
I do not have any playback problems on pc that only 2 and 3 years old and running Windows 7 32 bit and Windows 7 64 bit.

Ok, Full refund received with no quibble....only lost the return cost.DOD UK fully recommended on service.

On squaretrade for new Mio 388 (ordered from Taiwan)
I phoned them today to check and they wont support any item from outside my country (UK) even if bought through UK ebay or Amazon....just hope it'll be reliable...Overall saved £75 compared to UK stock of same item

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Dash Cam Discussion 1