LS430W battery replacement?

billd

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Greetings,
Recently my LS430W has stopped auto-starting in the morning when I start the car. I've also noticed that when I turn off the car, the unit turns off, then on, then off, then on ...
The final video from each trip is corrupt.
I suspect all this points to the fact that the battery is no good anymore. It can't properly shut down the unit.
Has anyone replaced a battery in these things? Do you just (carefully) pry the unit open to access the battery? Does replacing it require soldering, or is there a battery connector? Any specific recommended battery and where to buy?

Thanks!

Bill

Reactions: Luu
Nextbase can supply the battery, would assume they can provide instructions on disassembly also

Greetings,
Recently my LS430W has stopped auto-starting in the morning when I start the car. I've also noticed that when I turn off the car, the unit turns off, then on, then off, then on ...
The final video from each trip is corrupt.
I suspect all this points to the fact that the battery is no good anymore. It can't properly shut down the unit.
Has anyone replaced a battery in these things? Do you just (carefully) pry the unit open to access the battery? Does replacing it require soldering, or is there a battery connector? Any specific recommended battery and where to buy?

Thanks!

Bill

I have got that same problem. The last video from each trip can not be played. I also suppose that battery is the reason for that error.
If you have solved this problem, please inform.
Thanks,

Luu

DOD Tech Support also thinks these symptoms indicate a failed battery. I have ordered a replacement battery (ebay) but it may take a few weeks for it to arrive, so we'll see how it goes...
(under $10 on ebay (do-it-yourself), vs $50 for DOD to replace it).

DOD Tech Support also thinks these symptoms indicate a failed battery. I have ordered a replacement battery (ebay) but it may take a few weeks for it to arrive, so we'll see how it goes...
(under $10 on ebay (do-it-yourself), vs $50 for DOD to replace it).
Ok. Thank Billd.
I will order to replace the battery too.

Just an update on this. I had no trouble replacing the battery, and it did fix the issues I was having with the camera not shutting down correctly.
Easy 20 minute fix with a $5 battery off ebay (took a month for it to arrive, but that's ok). Better than shipping it off to DOD and paying $50 for the repair.

Bill

Just an update on this. I had no trouble replacing the battery, and it did fix the issues I was having with the camera not shutting down correctly.
Easy 20 minute fix with a $5 battery off ebay (took a month for it to arrive, but that's ok). Better than shipping it off to DOD and paying $50 for the repair.

Bill
Great!
I am also waiting to receive the battery from Ebay in coming days. Hope it will fix the issue too.
@billd did you replace the battery yourself?

@Luu Yes, I did replace the battery myself. Pretty simple process - unscrew the gps antenna (little box on the top of the unit), cut the label/sticker on the bottom of the unit along the seam so that it's not holding the unit together, and then carefully pry the unit open. I then pulled up the old battery (it's stuck on with some two-sided tape) and cut the wires from it, leaving most of the wire attached to the dashcam circuit board. I then attached the new battery to the existing wires. I find this less risky than actually soldering the new battery to the circuit board, but either way will work.

Reactions: Luu
Hi all,
I just replaced the battery as @billd did and the camera is working well now. No more problem.

Best,

Bill
Hi Bill,
Do you have a link for the battery you ordered? A web search for the number on the battery (402035) does not get me what I need. What did you get?

Привет, Билл,
У вас есть ссылка на заказанный вами аккумулятор? Поиск в Интернете по номеру батареи (402035) не дает мне того, что мне нужно. Что ты получил?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/233718049424

the 402035 relates to the physical dimensions of the battery, the battery @Leonauto linked to should be fine
Thanks for that. However the size of the existing battery does not match the 402035 printed on it. The dimensions are 30 x 20 x 5 thus a 502030 is more appropriate I hope as that is what I have ordered. I actually have two LS 430Ws and two LS 460Ws all of which developed the same symptoms. Before I realized the problem was caused by the failed battery I replaced them all with SGs. I would like to have a pair of DODs working again for my winter vehicle. I hope to receive the new batteries before winter is over.

Thank you all for sharing your experience. I will order a new battery to replace as well, but I know batteries with incorrect physical dimensions are commonly shipped. So, those of you who have actually replaced this sucessfully, please share a link to an item that has proved to fit? thank you all :)

Thanks for that. However the size of the existing battery does not match the 402035 printed on it. The dimensions are 30 x 20 x 5 thus a 502030 is more appropriate I hope as that is what I have ordered. I actually have two LS 430Ws and two LS 460Ws all of which developed the same symptoms. Before I realized the problem was caused by the failed battery I replaced them all with SGs. I would like to have a pair of DODs working again for my winter vehicle. I hope to receive the new batteries before winter is over.
Did you find a battery with correct dimensions?

Hi Bill,
Do you have a link for the battery you ordered? A web search for the number on the battery (402035) does not get me what I need. What did you get?
My worry as well, what did you get Bill?

How did this battery turn out for you size wise?

Bill
Do you know a part number for the battery at all. Thank you for your thread

Back