LS430W battery replacement?

billd

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Greetings,
Recently my LS430W has stopped auto-starting in the morning when I start the car. I've also noticed that when I turn off the car, the unit turns off, then on, then off, then on ...
The final video from each trip is corrupt.
I suspect all this points to the fact that the battery is no good anymore. It can't properly shut down the unit.
Has anyone replaced a battery in these things? Do you just (carefully) pry the unit open to access the battery? Does replacing it require soldering, or is there a battery connector? Any specific recommended battery and where to buy?

Thanks!

Bill

Reactions: Luu

jokiin

Manufacturer
Reaction score
Country
China
Dash Cam
Too many ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Nextbase can supply the battery, would assume they can provide instructions on disassembly also

Luu

Reaction score
Country
Viet Nam
Greetings,
Recently my LS430W has stopped auto-starting in the morning when I start the car. I've also noticed that when I turn off the car, the unit turns off, then on, then off, then on ...
The final video from each trip is corrupt.
I suspect all this points to the fact that the battery is no good anymore. It can't properly shut down the unit.
Has anyone replaced a battery in these things? Do you just (carefully) pry the unit open to access the battery? Does replacing it require soldering, or is there a battery connector? Any specific recommended battery and where to buy?

Thanks!

Bill
I have got that same problem. The last video from each trip can not be played. I also suppose that battery is the reason for that error.
If you have solved this problem, please inform.
Thanks,

Luu

OP
B

billd

Reaction score
Country
Canada
DOD Tech Support also thinks these symptoms indicate a failed battery. I have ordered a replacement battery (ebay) but it may take a few weeks for it to arrive, so we'll see how it goes...
(under $10 on ebay (do-it-yourself), vs $50 for DOD to replace it).

Luu

Reaction score
Country
Viet Nam
DOD Tech Support also thinks these symptoms indicate a failed battery. I have ordered a replacement battery (ebay) but it may take a few weeks for it to arrive, so we'll see how it goes...
(under $10 on ebay (do-it-yourself), vs $50 for DOD to replace it).
Ok. Thank Billd.
I will order to replace the battery too.

OP
B

billd

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Just an update on this. I had no trouble replacing the battery, and it did fix the issues I was having with the camera not shutting down correctly.
Easy 20 minute fix with a $5 battery off ebay (took a month for it to arrive, but that's ok). Better than shipping it off to DOD and paying $50 for the repair.

Bill

Luu

Reaction score
Country
Viet Nam
Just an update on this. I had no trouble replacing the battery, and it did fix the issues I was having with the camera not shutting down correctly.
Easy 20 minute fix with a $5 battery off ebay (took a month for it to arrive, but that's ok). Better than shipping it off to DOD and paying $50 for the repair.

Bill
Great!
I am also waiting to receive the battery from Ebay in coming days. Hope it will fix the issue too.
@billd did you replace the battery yourself?

OP
B

billd

Reaction score
Country
Canada
@Luu Yes, I did replace the battery myself. Pretty simple process - unscrew the gps antenna (little box on the top of the unit), cut the label/sticker on the bottom of the unit along the seam so that it's not holding the unit together, and then carefully pry the unit open. I then pulled up the old battery (it's stuck on with some two-sided tape) and cut the wires from it, leaving most of the wire attached to the dashcam circuit board. I then attached the new battery to the existing wires. I find this less risky than actually soldering the new battery to the circuit board, but either way will work.

Reactions: Luu

Luu

Reaction score
Country
Viet Nam
Hi all,
I just replaced the battery as @billd did and the camera is working well now. No more problem.

Best,