LS460W frustrations

Pikok

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Hi all,

I've been using my LS460W for the past couple of weeks and have encountered some annoying issues.
First of all, the reported focus issue seems to be present at times. It's not extreme or anything, but I can clearly notice that certain areas aren't as sharp as they should be, when using the dashcam for a longer time in direct sunlight.

What I've also noticed is that my GPS fix is not working correctly. When I leave for work, my camera turns on and starts recording. I'll usually arrive at work about 30 minutes later, without a GPS fix.
Should I disable and enable GPS from the settings menu, I'll have a GPS fix within a minute.
I don't mind the lack of GPS that much, but seeing as I paid for it, it bothers me that it doesn't work.

Details about the device:
S/N: 88X1F00201A0
Assembly date (little sticker on the device): 03/2015
Original firmware: Can't recall

I then found a firmware update, I believe through these forums. This update slightly improved the GPS fix, but the same issue still occured. Unfortunately this broke my G sensor. Suddenly all recordings were always locked, due to the lack of any G sensor feedback.
Firmware version: 20140611 (the camera is currently in my car, so I can't tell you the exact version number).

At this point I contacted DOD US. They told me that the device was from an EU region, they couldn't assist me and redirected me to DOD Benelux.
DOD Benelux sent me a reply saying they don't sell the device due to the bugs, thus they cannot provide me with any support.
The retailer I bought the device from will happily refund me, but I'd rather have these issues resolved...

A couple of days ago I went onto the DOD TW website and found a TW firmware. This resolved the G sensor issues, but now my device is in Chinese. I don't mind as the menu is pretty striaght forward, but it's not correct.
The GPS issue persists. I find that it seems to be slower again.

I've now contacted DOD UK, who will hopefully be of SOME assistance, but perhaps someone here can provide me with a more recent firmware which may resolve my issues. If not, at least I can return the device with a firmware that has EN :)

Personally I'm very sad with the quality of support from DOD. So far no one has been able to assist me, even though I've found others who experienced my issue had their issue resolved with DOD's assistance. Luckily for them, their official local reseller was a bit more helpful.

Thanking you in advance for any helpful suggestions.

Thanks. I'll give that a try tonight, hopefully it'll let me downgrade... :)

EDIT: Seeing the Street Guardian avatar, what's your personal opinion? A reseller (hiniko.com) sells them. I've had my eyes on the X1 or SGZC12RC. How do these compare to the LS460W or BlackVues DR600GW?

LS460W uses same basic hardware as we use in SG9665GC but they use low quality lens, we don't have heat focus problems like they do, SGZC12RC or X1 has no GPS option if that's a consideration, the SGZC12SG is more of a closer match to what you had in the LS460W in respect to design and specification, doesn't have the heat problems though

Blackvue products I don't like, very nice design, look great, poor performance

I've heard great things of the SG9665GC, but that thing is massive..
GPS is, after having used a dashcam for a while, something I don't care much about any longer.

Using the smaller Street Guardian solutions should provide me with similar results to my LS460W videos then, yeah? Can you perhaps provide me with some decent samples? I haven't bothered researching yet, but perhaps you can provide me with some decent samples.

Quick size perspective for you

a1ddddf5c223124245bd90e03be739a4.jpg

I've run both the DOD LS460W here (I sent both back due to focus issues and then when it started randomly not recording) and I'm currently running that SG9665GC in my car now.

The SG9665GC has better night video and day video is basically the same as the DOD LS460W can manage when it's in focus etc.

If you're happy with the LS460W when it's working you'd definitely be happy with the SG9665GC as it's better at night than the DOD when I've checked side by side footage.

I struggled to find a side by side picture but this shows something the size of the SG9665GC next to a Mini camera and then with a G1W which is pretty much the same as the DOD LS360W which is missing the GPS block:

TB28VctXVXXXXbQXXXXXXXXXXXX_!!134922319.jpg

I have my SG9665GC further up the black dots so that only the bottom is exposed - it's really very hard to see it from the outside - this isn't the best picture due to reflections but you can see how much mine is visible - it's just to the top left of the Yankee Candle thing.

2745AC8A-E48B-4237-8F7B-D50307C78C01.JPG

Last edited:
And a few random clips from mine:

An then the LS460W I had at night (it picked up windscreen chips more than the SG):

Thanks guys! The shop has approved my return request, so I'll be popping over after work, or tomorrow, to try and get my refund sorted out.
If all works well I'll be ordering the SG :)

The downgrade to the previous firmware has also been successful, thanks for that! Unfortunately every single recording is locked again now due to the silly firmware "breaking" the G Sensor. At least it gives me another reason to return the device ;)

Still not a word from DOD in regards to this matter. I'm properly disappointed with them.

I've heard great things of the SG9665GC, but that thing is massive..
I think I must add some comparison pictures into my online shop listing.

I need a woman who thinks that things as small as the SG9665GC are massive :)

I'll take a picture of mine tonight!

It's a shame DOD don't take feedback into account as from that build date they're still having the same focus issues as they were back when I had two cameras with the issue in August

I think I must add some comparison pictures into my online shop listing.

Yeah, after having seen the comparison pictures, I was very wrong indeed!
PS: I've emailed you in regards to my order. Eagerly awaiting your reply to place it! :)

I need a woman who thinks that things as small as the SG9665GC are massive :)

I'll take a picture of mine tonight!

It's a shame DOD don't take feedback into account as from that build date they're still having the same focus issues as they were back when I had two cameras with the issue in August

It is a shame, but I also think it's rather disrespectful to their customers. DOD Benelux have replied to my inquiry today and blatantly informed me that they don't have access to any firmwares.
In short: Feck off.

Luckily the shop I bought the cam from was very understanding and have refunded me.

Glad you've got it sorted in the end - it's bizarre how their local resellers don't have access to the firmwares etc though as I know in the past that some appear to have had as that's where the original LS460W firmware leaked from!

Fingers crossed you'll be happier with the next one you get :)

I have this cam and twice it's not deleted old files off the card and just reports 'card full'. Ayy idea what the latest firmware for this camera is? If it doesn't get any better I'll be returning it for something else. Though I'm not having the fuzzy/blurred edges like others are.

I have this cam and twice it's not deleted old files off the card and just reports 'card full'. Ayy idea what the latest firmware for this camera is? If it doesn't get any better I'll be returning it for something else. Though I'm not having the fuzzy/blurred edges like others are.

are you formatting the card in camera?

[QUOTE="jokiin, post: 148514, member: 4Fathi are you formatting the card in camera?[/QUOTE]

I am indeed. The card is formatted to Fat32. I've had the camera for several months and it's only done it twice. But when it does stop I'm unaware of it so don't know if it's recording or not.

Back