LS460W Micro SD Problems

reverend

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Too many
I've noticed that the camera has totally stopped recording twice now using Samsung Micro SD cards.

The video display seemed fine on the camera and everything looked like it was recording, but nothing written to the card.

It did it on the first camera I had, and now it has also happened on the replacement.

I'm trying to work out if this is because the camera is just sensitive to memory cards, or whether it's a firmware bug.

Yesterday I did several hours of driving and 60 minutes is completely missing - in fact after it stopped the car was turned off for 25 mins, then a 30 minute journey performed and it didn't record that either. It wasn't a hot day, in fact it was absolutely peeing it down with rain so it's not as though the temperature should have played any part.

I've run the card through h2testw multiple times and it passes every time without errors. I left it overnight on endless verify and it went for 8 hours without a glitch.

The card was formatted in the camera this time (it's a 64GB card) and it formatted to FAT32 fine.

It's a Samsung Class 10 UHS-1 with a read speed of 70MB/sec from here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00D1RD948
I made sure to actually pick Amazon themselves as the seller and not a third party fulfilled by Amazon just to try and ensure it was real.

DOD seem to recommend ADATA cards so I'm tempted to try one just to see how that goes but I'm running out of time to get the money refunded.

I've got an 8GB Sandisk Ultra card sat here and I'm thinking of just hooking the camera up with that in and leaving it recording all day to see if it fails with that in - the only problem is that if it's a bug with 64GB cards it wouldn't show up on that card anyway.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem yet?

They do list it as being compatible with the Adata 64GB cards as long as they're FAT32 - it does seem buggy so far!

I notice they're out of stock now as well - not sure if they've sold really well or whether there have been too many problems?!

Yeah if it needs to be FAT32 then they can work but not fully supported, probably better just to stick to 32gb and avoid the grief

I using Sandisk 128GB microSDXC (formated to Fat32 system file) and works just perfect with LS330W and LS460W no problems at all.

How many times has the 128GB card looped? I did over 7 hours driving just yesterday and thinking about it the problem happened around about when the card would have looped.

Basically I formatted the card in the camera on Thursday night as a test and I did two hours Thursday night, five hours Friday and then I'd done around 90 mins driving yesterday when the problem occurred.

Thinking about it this does sound about the time it should have looped - although it's weird why it wrote nothing at all in the next trip and then recovered the one after that.

I will check this later today,

but basically it's about 16 hours in 1080p and plenty 5mins files on sd card,
but from beginning when i use this LS460W camera no problems at all.
also i got the same card like yours "Samsung 64gb USH-I microSDXC" and i will check this at night - i will leave camera on at all night with this (64gb samsung)

I will let you know soon

Thanks mate, I actually really like this replacement but the bit about stopping recording worries me!

I've currently got it sat filling an 8GB Sandisk Ultra card to see how that gets on.

I have it set to 2 min clips - it could be a bug due to that if it's working ok with 5 min clips maybe?

Well it's been sat for over 8 hours and has run continuously with a Sandisk 8GB card.

I've got a Kingston Class 4 32GB card due Wednesday to give that one last go!

Ah @-Pizdys- I just found one of your old posts here:

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/thread...-sd-card-compatibility.1600/page-2#post-20178

SAMSUNG Micro SDXC 64GB (MB-MGCGB)
- Works very well, but "loop recording" must be set for 3 min. then no problems at all !
2min. - camera freezing and working very slow.
5min. - camera recording only ~8hours after this time, camera not continued recording, so "rec" button must be pressed every time when memory is full (about ~8h).
3min. - no problems at all <<<<<<<<
I wonder if it's the same problem now as this sounds very similar!

That was about Samsung 64gb but on exFAT, after format fo FAT32 everything works perfect (on DOD-Tech LS300W Firmware: LS300W 1305310-EN-10)

about using this card in LS460W:
i'm not sure but looks like after 8 hours camera recording nothing - no files at all....

I will double check it later, i'm not sure, i need more time, please be patient ;)

Bizarrely now I've reformatted the card it seems to have behaved since and ran for 12 hours today without stopping, and filled the card. It does sound like some sort of loop issue with this card though so thank-you for testing too :) Maybe it needs a longer delay between deleting a file, waiting and then writing more data - assuming there is enough space in the onboard buffer.

It's happened twice on two different LS460W's for me, and looks like it has happened to you too.

mine is absolutely fine, after all night all files are OK,
I just reformat memory card again and looks fine now

Thanks for trying that - I've got a class 4 32GB Kingston in there now to see how that gets on - fingers crossed that will fix it and stop it happening again!

Using the Adata 32gb cards with the camera set to loop at three minutes, both cameras were fine when they reached the recording limit

I am a dashcamdealer in the Netherlands from DOD cams.
Till now, I have sold many DOD LS460w with the 64GB Transcend SDXC card. Not one problem till now!
When I sell a cam with a 64GB card, I alway use this formatprogram: Otherwise the cam do not reconize the SD card.
http://dod-tech.ca/support/articles/formatting-a-64gb-microsdxc-card-for-dod-tech-cameras/
After doing this you can format the card in the cam too.
80 cams till now sold with a 64GB Card....Not one problem....

I had multiple problems with two DOD LS460W cameras with different cards - maybe people aren't checking their footage? Have they brought a new firmware out yet as it needs work.

Pizdys did replicate the problem once with the card randomly not recording, but might be worth telling your customers not to use Samsung 64GB cards in case they have the same problem.

Back