LS460W switches on-off-on

Richard Nixon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I just got a couple of DOD LS460W cameras and both have an intermittent and minor problem. I've hard wired both into our two cars. About 50% of the time the camera will come on with the ignition, stay one for a few seconds, then turn off, then immediately turn on again and function OK for the rest of the journey.
I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen?

Of course, when I ordered the cameras I went ahead and ordered what I thought were good quality SD cards - you guessed it - Sandisk. Only later did I discover that these are not recommended by DOD.

I think I'll get another brand of card to try, and see if that cures it, but any thoughts wold be appreciated.
Thanks.

try leaving the card out and power cycle a few times and see if you get the same on/off behavior

if it boots fine each time and doesn't power cycle like it has been when there's no card in then you want to check the memory card for errors, if it still does it then it's possibly a problem with the camera itself

I had this (among other symptoms*) when the battery was failing on my Nextbase 402G (DOD LS430W variant). I think the LS460 (Nextbase 512G) uses the same battery.

Regarding Sandisk cards, we have two Mio 5-series cams which have had Sandisk 32GB (the red-grey one) right from the start and not had a problem in all those thousands of miles. Footage is checked regularly to ensure cams are working properly.

Other symptoms included last file not saving or corrupted, switching off-on-off-on after turning off the ignition (until battery died), and first file not saving or corrupted due to the way a diesel car is started (turn key two points to heat the glow plugs, then after a few seconds turn key to start the engine - the momentary loss of power when moving the key and the starter motor drawing power would momentarily cut power to the cam and the failing battery would not be able to smooth it out, so the in-progress file was lost and a new one started).

Another thing I found with my failing 402G was that if the cam is dismounted and unplugged, if you try to use it like a camera (claims 6 minutes of battery power) when you manually push the button to power it on, the cam will get stuck in a power up/power down loop.

Thanks for all the ideas. I tried powering up three times with the card in as joking suggested.

Before I did that I noticed that sometimes the camera was powering up with a steady red LED showing, which means "Standby mode but not charging".

Then it was going off and coming back on with the LED flashing between blue and pink, meaning that it was recording and charging.

Anyway, after there three powers ups without card it seems to always power up and record straight away. Problem solved hopefully.

I'll keep everyone posted if there's any change.

Ok, I think I know what's going on here. My car is a Diesel. The camera is working OK, but looking at some other posts it seems to depend on how quickly you try to turn the engine over after turning the ignition switch to the position where power goes to the instrument panel and glow plugs etc.

Too quick and the camera will switch off again. This actually happens sometimes with the fan and AC if I just straight through the ignition without a "glow plug pause"

Anyway, I've found that keeping an eye on the camera LED tells me when all is well. It comes on Red at first, then quickly changes to Pink. Then I can start the engine and the camera works fine.

Seems a bit of a faff, but like I say I read it somewhere, and theres also a post on this forum which I found but putting "Diesel" in the search box.

Oh yes, I also tried putting a Kingston card in instead of the Sandisk, and so far it's just the same.

The procedure is now this.

Get into the car.
Turn ignition key to "glow plug" position.
Fasten seatbelt.
Start engine and drive off.

In the time taken to fasten the seatbelt the camera has switched on and works OK.

Back