Lukas 5900hd Duo SD Cards.

naked604boy

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi, I tried this brand new 64gig Lexar card yesterday, it didn't work it says SD_FAILED. Do I need to reformat it first on my pc to make it work on my Lukas? http://www.futureshop.ca/multimedia/Products/150x150/102/10209/10209542.jpg
Here is the card I was using. It says on the manual I need SD/SDHC 64 gig max, but SDHC can only go up to 32gig max, and I wanted the 64gig ones, should i get the micro SDXC with SD adapter will work?

Did you try formatting it in the camera?

I use the 32MB Micro in the adapter and have no problems. 64GB is a big card for the smaller sized 10-30 minute clips with write over. as above you can format the camera via the viewer software, but I don't know if it goes to 64MB. I know the 7900 Goes to 128GB, but its way to much memory, unless you are driving all day, everyday and don't want to clear your card at the end of each month. I would rather pull the card, check a few clips, the reformat if all was okay prior. Having the camera rewrite over and over again is bound to cause some issues.

Hi, I tried this brand new 64gig Lexar card yesterday, it didn't work it says SD_FAILED. Do I need to reformat it first on my pc to make it work on my Lukas?
I'm not %100 sure how the Lukas works. You could try formatting it in the camera. If not you might need a special program to format a 64GB card correctly under windows.

Here is the card I was using. It says on the manual I need SD/SDHC 64 gig max, but SDHC can only go up to 32gig max, and I wanted the 64gig ones, should i get the micro SDXC with SD adapter will work?

DCT member jokiin has mentioned here that the adapters are not built for high temperatures So maybe if you only needed to keep it running for a half an hour to check the card that was previously in for footage you want to save might be okay, but to use it that way on a daily basis might be a bad idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
No I didn't know i had to reformat the camera.. I returned the SD card to the store and got my refund because of the SD_FAILED on my dash cam. Do I need to worry about the UHS-I on that Lexar card?

Do I need to worry about the UHS-I on that Lexar card?
As long as it is at least class 6, but i would recommend Class 10 if possible.

The circled number next to or around the UHS-I

Hi.

For better use of Dashcams, we would like to recommend you to use MicroSD MLC (Multi Level Cell) Class10 card.

Since Dashcams continuously make and remove video in SD card, MLC is safer than TLC type.
For faster operation, Class10 is recommended.

Best regards,
Jeremy

Hi.
For better use of Dashcams, we would like to recommend you to use MicroSD MLC (Multi Level Cell) Class10 card.
Since Dashcams continuously make and remove video in SD card, MLC is safer than TLC type.
For faster operation, Class10 is recommended.
Best regards,
Jeremy

I had to look up the difference between the MLC and TLC memory types, never realized there was so much difference between SD memory types.
After reading Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-level_cell
and this site:
http://www.centon.com/flash-products/chiptype)
I had a better idea of what the differences in memory types used in SD cards
it looked like SLC memory would be even better for dash cams, better temperature rating and a higher erase and write cycle count. Down side is higher cost, but maybe I can find some that are reasonably priced.......

Back