Lukas 7900 ACE - ERR1 (& high temps)

Arizona User

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does anyone know what the ERR1 error code is on a Lukas 7900 ACE?

It had been acting strangely lately, giving me that error at least once a day, so I just upgraded the firmware to 37 (from 31) and I get the error all the time now. It boots and goes straight to the ERR1. I'm using good quality SD cards and format them regularly through the Lukas Viewer.

As I live in the desert in Phoenix, Arizona I'd noticed recently that as the temps rose, I'd get more errors occurring. Not sure if that's the cause or if it's something else. It was fine when everything was below 70 F but as we now approach 90 F things are going weird. I've even got one of the A/C vents pointing up at it for when I'm driving but when I park the car and come back and it's hotter than 90F inside, it's decided it doesn't want to work. I think it'll give up the ghost when we hit 110 F.

On a review note, until this problem started occurring, the camera was OK although the video was definitely fuzzy. I like the capacitor idea better than the battery which I had in a FineVu CR500 but with fuzzy video and this ERR1, I'm thinking I made a bad choice switching to the Lukas.

Error code 1 (ERR1) ..according to the manual states "Camera cannot be connected, needs to be replaced"
How old is the camera? Some of the previous cameras had some soft video issues...supposedly corrected (mine is sharp). If it's still under warranty, send it back.

Thank you and good call.
I would have figured this thing for a 90 day warranty but it turns out it's a year and I bought it on Amazon in August, 2014.
That'll give me about 3 1/2 months to try to figure out who I have to send it back to. :)
I'll bet buying it through Amazon probably wasn't the best idea - I suspect I'm going to get bounced around a bit on this one.

Seems Amazon WAS the way to buy the camera.
Just called them to find out who I return it to, seeing as they only take returns for one month, and it was sold by Amazon (no other seller listed on the order).
They put me on hold for a few minutes while they called the manufacturer and they come back and tell me that seeing as the manufacturer contact's English was so bad (and that was from a Philipino Amazon rep), they'll just process the refund for me.
What a laugh !
Ya gotta love Jeff Bezos and Amazon.

Thanks again Daleg - I wouldn't have even looked at the warranty term without your mentioning it.

I think I'll try a Mini 0805 for the next camera - third time lucky?

Not a problem, I'm just happy that worked out for you so easily! Customer Service reps with bad English usually only result in bad tempers, so for once it finally works out for the customer!
I picked mine up from Blackboxed.ca instead of Amazon, and then added an extended warranty from Square Trade...dont know how the Squaretrade warranty will work out but it was cheap and hopefully I wont need to find out, but we'll see. So far Blackboxed.ca customer service has been pretty darn good in answering questions before and after the sale. From what I've read on the forums, LK-7900 ace had some focus issues (in 2014?), and since then its been resolved, so I wonder if you might have got one of those units. I'm not sure how the mini's handle the Arizona heat though, but I've heard good things about Street Guardians A118 (also on this site). Seems to be a frequent poster and has good customer service from what I've been seeing. You might inquire with him on his stuff and how it handles high temps.

The SG9665GC would be fine in hot temperatures - it's designed to handle the Australian market.

I've already started having issues with dashcams losing focus in the warmish weather we're having in the UK - if high temps are an issue I'd personally be staying away from a Mini camera as the battery will fail at some point - capacitor based versions are definitely the way to go in hot climates if you want reliability

The SG9665GC would be fine in hot temperatures - it's designed to handle the Australian market.

I've already started having issues with dashcams losing focus in the warmish weather we're having in the UK - if high temps are an issue I'd personally be staying away from a Mini camera as the battery will fail at some point - capacitor based versions are definitely the way to go in hot climates if you want reliability

SG9665GC has a more capable high spec NT96655 (rather than the 96650 of others) CPU, metal lens housing (prevents warping) and super capacitor. It will eat the heat for sure.

Last edited:
Sounds like the SG9665GC is a good candidate for my next cam. :)
I went from a FineVu CR500HD because the battery died after a year, and after they replaced the entire unit because it was still barely under warranty, the battery went again another year later.
My kid now has the CR500HD in his car using the external battery supported by Velcro as suggested by another (helpful) poster on the forum (great idea BTW - I think the he battery being external will help it last longer due to less internal heat)
I then went to the Lukas 7900 Ace because it had a capacitor but it had fuzzy video and couldn't seem to stand any heat at all.
I received and installed the Mini 0805 two days ago. This morning and this afternoon I left the vehicle outside in the sun/heat.
It was almost 100 F today so it was hot outside and even hotter inside the car (until the A/C kicked in).
The Mini worked fine - no problem.
I suspect it will work better in the heat as the chips are running off 5 VDC instead of 12 VDC.
However, as Reverend and Pier28 posted, I'm sure the battery will fail at some point and them I'm left with the decision of doing the external battery thing (if someone has already figured out and posted how to do that), or buy another dash cam.
We'll see how it goes.

Meanwhile, if you read the review about the Mini 0805, you'll see that the instructions are written in something like Chinglish.
Not only that, but you need a magnifying glass to read them because they printed them in a size that would fit in the box.
That's not the real laugh though.
This photo (attached?) is taken from the outside of the box.
How much Momery do you have in your dash cam?
Is there some money to be made proof-reading English manuals and marketing pieces from Asians cos?

Attachments

• MOMERY.JPG
    MOMERY.JPG
    213.3 KB · Views: 11
Back