Lukas 7950 wifi gps obd ii model speed display issue

mfbyrd1231

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does anyone know how to get the camera to display in miles per hour instead of kilometers per hour? I cannot figure out how to change the segment display to miles per hour. When I playback video in the software the OBD II info shows as kilometers per hour, the GPS section in the viewing software shows miles per hour but it is in fact kilometers per hour because it matches the speed displayed on the video. In the settings it shows it set to miler per hour but it is grayed out.

Attachments

• settings.JPG
    settings.JPG
    183 KB · Views: 20
  • viewing software.JPG
    viewing software.JPG
    179.5 KB · Views: 24
Is that player settings or dashcam settings?

I have it at Mi/h under GPS menu of the dashcam and works fine.
You have to be in GPS menu to change that.

Here is my settings menu under GPS of the app set to Mi/h:

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/attachments/screenshot_2015-03-16-21-16-35-png.11843/

screenshot_2015-03-16-21-16-35-png.11843

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the settings menu in the player software changed the config file on the SD card. What I attached was from the settings in the player software. So your segment display on the camera itself reads in miles per hour?

I thought the settings menu in the player software changed the config file on the SD card. What I attached was from the settings in the player software. So your segment display on the camera itself reads in miles per hour?
Not sure. I haven't used the Lukas viewer in laptop yet.
I only used Android app so far.
Here is a screenshot with mph even in my computer video player.

Frame 2015.03.21 19-03-44 (0-00-01.540).jpg

Maybe it's related to the OBD-II info it's pulling and a software bug getting confused - what sort of car do you have?

If you pull the OBD cable from the camera and look at the video then does it use km or miles?

I have not tried that yet. I just updated the firmware to 07 a few moments ago. I have a 2015 GMC Acadia. I was surprised it read anything because I read somewhere the ODB II info was only compatible with a handful of foreign cars. Its not too big of an issue for me as if I ever needed the info for official purposes they can covert it but its more of a peeve. It would just be cool if the segment display would show in miles per hour and not kilometers per hour as well as the software. I will try to pull the ODB II cable off and see what happens next time I drive. Otherwise the cameras are working very well.

oh yea one more peeve is the CPL filter causes a bit of a black circle around the left side of the video.

You have removed the UV filter when you get that issue with the CPL?

I've got to admit I've got my CPL still sat in the box so I'll give it a whirl tomorrow and see how it looks here - I'll get Fi07 loaded on now too :)

No I did not remove the UV filter. I think I remember reading something about removing it first but I am not sure. It seemed that nothing was twisting off from the front very easily so I left it alone and just screwed the CPL right over top of it.

No I did not remove the UV filter. I think I remember reading something about removing it first but I am not sure. It seemed that nothing was twisting off from the front very easily so I left it alone and just screwed the CPL right over top of it.
Remove UV filter if you want to use CPL.
Having both will block FOV.

Will the camera lens still be susceptible to UV damage with just the CPL?

To be honest I wouldn't worry about it - you do need to run just one lens at a time though or you will get the vignetting you're seeing.

I've got to admit I tried without the UV lens and there wasn't any real difference I could see with or without it. It does have the added benefit of hiding the silver trim around the lens though.

Yea from my understanding a UV filter is for protecting the lens element from UV ray damage over time and not for a visual effect. Which a dash cam would probably spend a lot of time pointing into the sun especially for me as a lot of my trips are directly east in the morning and directly west in the evening.
Perhaps my windshield would possibly have some UV blocking coating on it to protect the interior plastics! Wishful thinking I'm sure...

Technically I can understand it but I've been running dashcams for a year now with no ill effects with no UV filters.

There is something on the wiki for windscreens saying that UV is absorbed by the glass and bonding layers:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windshield

Maybe they help a bit with haze in smoggy places? Can't really comment on that as it's something we don't suffer over here yet.

yes, cpl usually don't have uv filter but dashcam is not my eyes so whatever. .. ;)

When I playback video in the software the OBD II info shows as kilometers per hour, the GPS section in the viewing software shows miles per hour but it is in fact kilometers per hour because it matches the speed displayed on the video. In the settings it shows it set to miler per hour but it is grayed out.

Are you able to select OBD II speed displayed on the video? If yes, are KPH and MPH selectable?

When looking in the settings on the phone app under "OBD" there is nothing for selecting km/h vs m/h. The only thing referring to speed is "speed display" and its either on or off. Turning it off will make the playback video show "SPD" instead of the actual speed. Under "GPS" I can select km/h or m/h but I think that only changes the PC playback software to show m/h when you look at the GPS information even though the speed is still in km/h if that makes sense. If you look at the screen cap I uploaded you can see that it say mi/h but the speed is actually in km/h as it matches whats overlayed on the video. I am guessing its the fact that I have he OBD II module and its only going to show in km/h no matter what.

When looking in the settings on the phone app under "OBD" there is nothing for selecting km/h vs m/h. The only thing referring to speed is "speed display" and its either on or off. Turning it off will make the playback video show "SPD" instead of the actual speed.... If you look at the screen cap I uploaded you can see that it say mi/h but the speed is actually in km/h as it matches whats overlayed on the video. I am guessing its the fact that I have he OBD II module and its only going to show in km/h no matter what.

Thanks for the reply.

Tested with my 7950 type B today, the speed displayed on Lukas was about 15-20% less than the actual speed (averagely 20MPH inside the city). I think I will order one set of OBD II for showing actual speed instantly and accurately.

By the way, does your OBD II info shows left & right turning signals when they are on?

Last edited:
Nope I do not see turn signal info. I do get brake pedal on, speed in km/h only, steering wheel degree of rotation, which gear the transmission is in, engine rpm, and I think that's it. The km/h are spot on I just wish I could change it to mi/h successfully.

Back