Lukas-9300 Duo product misrepresentation

Lenny

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just bought it on Ebay from S. Korea seller. Unlike other 93** similar models it doesn't have stupid silver plate.
Only today I have learned from out forums it can be easily removed. The camera is good but guys, beware:
Lukas site does not mention anywhere that there are different types within this model and I bought type A which doesn't have GPS. It does have GPS-IN port but the wire that comes from base is just missing. Thanks G-d my seller suggested she will ship me external GPS at no charge. She fell victim of this mess as myself.
I looked on Lukas site again and still see picture of the unit with GPS and no different types specified.

One question I have and would appreciate any help:
I set off security lights but blue light was still blinking after that inviting crooks break the window and still my camera.
Those owners of 9350, 9390 and other similar, any idea?

There are 4 type to pretty much every Lukas camera.
A = Camera Only
B = GPS
C = OBD2
D = OBD2 + GPS
I can't comment on how clear this was on the ebay listing you are referring to because you didn't link it.
As it is also just a Lukas retailer, Lukas itself has little influence on the listings description.

To avoid confusing like this, I set up the new official Lukas Store - Lukasdirect.com so that every product doesn't use the ABCD terms.
When you select a camera, you are shown up at the top all the option parts for the camera, such as GPS, and OBD2 along with other options like CPL lens filters and memory card size.

Lukas-Direct-Camera-examples.jpg

I am currently working on setting up the Official Lukas Store Amazon, and Ebay accounts.

Admittedly the pictures even on my site show the GPS. Its something that I can configure in our website, not sure about amazon or eBay though.
Though any consumer should never trust a products picture more then a description.

Hi Robert,
OK, but on your site is the same description as on Lucas site (http://lukashd.com/dashcam/product_info/dashcam_9300duo.html),I see there only two types B and D, and both have GPS.
Please show me any place where type A is mentioned. Unfortunately I cannot attach here Manual to show you there is nothing about it too (file is too big).
Manufacturers and retailers should provide consumers with clear information about their products. And for complicated products like this they should provide a comparison table where a buyer will see at glance all the types and difference between them.
After all on the box itself is supposed to be at least sticker with this type? How do you know what is inside this sealed box?!

Again, I generally like this camera, it is built well, feels not cheap and record quality is good but in my opinion the product is not ready for marketing yet. Besides confusion with types the manual has no word about warranty.
The only contact information on Lukas site is one S. Korean email address and phone #. On my question about how exactly to obtain warranty service in US - silence. I contacted the only US distributor in CA, the guy said if I didn't buy from him, he doesn't provide any support.
Robert, I hope you do better job in Canada but this is really no good.
Thank you for advice about led light, just one clarification: should I insert SD card while changing setting on viewer or what? How this change will affect the camera if it is not connected to the computer?
Thank you.

Hi Robert,
OK, but on your site is the same description as on Lucas site (http://lukashd.com/dashcam/product_info/dashcam_9300duo.html),I see there only two types B and D, and both have GPS.
Please show me any place where type A is mentioned. Unfortunately I cannot attach here Manual to show you there is nothing about it too (file is too big).
Manufacturers and retailers should provide consumers with clear information about their products. And for complicated products like this they should provide a comparison table where a buyer will see at glance all the types and difference between them.
After all on the box itself is supposed to be at least sticker with this type? How do you know what is inside this sealed box?!

Again, I generally like this camera, it is built well, feels not cheap and record quality is good but in my opinion the product is not ready for marketing yet. Besides confusion with types the manual has no word about warranty.
The only contact information on Lukas site is one S. Korean email address and phone #. On my question about how exactly to obtain warranty service in US - silence. I contacted the only US distributor in CA, the guy said if I didn't buy from him, he doesn't provide any support.
Robert, I hope you do better job in Canada but this is really no good.
Thank you for advice about led light, just one clarification: should I insert SD card while changing setting on viewer or what? How this change will affect the camera if it is not connected to the computer?
Thank you.

Hey Lenny, I see your point.
Indeed it only lists the B and D type on the english product picture brochure.
A bit of history helps clear this up. Originally Lukas typically only sold the B & D types internationally.
There are of course cases where Lukas sold A types internationally. But mostly they only sold B & D Types overseas.
While all types (A B C D) were typically only sold domestically.
See picture of Korean LK-9300 picture brochure.
XnNY5Co.jpg

Hence why the english product picture brochure only mentions the two types.
The problem is that there are domestic Koreans resellers who resell these cheeper non GPS models to english regions to buyer like your self, who see a cheeper price, and miss that in the description.
Just because you buy the camera from Korea, from someone who says they represent them selfs as lukas. Does not mean you are buying from Lukas.
There is currently no official direct Lukas retailer on eBay yet, because I am currently working on setting up that store. The same goes for Amazon.
Lukasdirect.com is the only official factory english lukas store.

Now the Lukas Store has been set up to sell essentially all types of Lukas Camera (ABCD).
However I chose to not list the cameras by the type. Instead listing the camera just once, and having option add-ons like GPS.
Unfortunately being so deeply involved into the industry, there is always going to be a disconnect.
I admittedly have overlooked how this could look to a customer when they see the camera being listed in two types both with GPS. Thank you for sharing you point of view!
This is something I need to address on the English Lukas Store.
As Lukas officially selling all types to the english world is new.
To address this, I am thinking of either removing the picture that show only the two types, or having the graphic designer who made the brochure add the other two types in.
I may also change the way the option add ons are selected.
The Official Korean lukas store does it a little differently (See below picture).
Korean-lukas.jpg
Oh and no there is no sticker indicating which type the camera is. There is however a check box on the back of the box indicating this. You should be able to see it on your LK-9300 box.
There is however different stickers for all the different memory card options. (24GB 32GB 40GB 72GB and so on)

Warranty. This is the largest draw back of buying from a overseas reseller.
All Lukas camera are covered for a full 1 year warranty, while accessories and memory cards are covered for 6 months.
Lukas has this warranty coverage for all their distributors. Which then goes down to retailers, and to customers.
So technically should you have any problems you need to contact the reseller who you purchased from.
That being said, now that Lukas has a official factory store located with in the USA. We are providing product support for english lukas customers.
At this time it does not include warranty service for customer who do not purchase from Lukas Direct. However I will consider handling warranty cover issues on a individual basis.
So that means if you do ever have a warranty request feel free to give me a shoot, and ill see what I can do. And if you ever need any other type of support give me a shoot, and I will help out.
The official support email is support@lukasdirect.com

So the best way to change the settings is to take the large SD memory card out, and put it into your computer then open the Lukas Viewer on your computer and save the setting changes there. This will then save them on to the memory card. Once you insert the memory card back into the camera. The newly set settings should now be reflected on the camera.
I would also advise you to update your camera if you haven't already done so.

Last edited:
Hi Robert,

I'm glad I decided to get involved in this forum and I met you here. Thank you for offering help with warranty, so far it looks like it' OK now. I was able to set security light off via viewer but it still was tricky. I turned it off on viewer, then I had to do it again on camera itself. Nothing said about it English manual. The manual in fact is draft the way it is now - no troubleshooting section, no FAQ section. FAQ on Lukas site is joke. So a lot of questions arise when an average consumer starts using this product.
About check box you are right - I missed it on the box.
Thanks again, I consider to buy from you another camera for my wife car, just want to see more how this one is doing.

Hey Lenny,

Thanks for taking the time to ask, and the feedback!
I have always believed in consecutive criticism. No organization is perfect, but the only way to try and get better is through open dialog. Such as on this forum.
Really this form is a amazing asset & treasure for everyone involved.

There has long been a problem were saving settings from the on camera menu doesn't always work perfectly. Though I believe this has been resolved with recent firmware updates. I haven't had many customers with this issue for most of 2015.

I forget which manual comes with the LK-9300. I believe its the full multi page one. But it could also be that the reseller you bought from only included the tiny couple fold manual with limited information.
Just incase you haven't tried all ready downloading the LK-9300 manual online. It is available from this link
http://lukasdirect.com/learn-explore/support/downloads/download/2-manuals/5-lk-9300duo-2015-ver3-eng
As
As the new English face of Lukas. We are building a whole new support site at support.lukasdirect.com via Zendesk. Its obviously no where near finished yet, and probably won't be until mid January. When it does though, it will have a full fledged FAQ section, and install guides and much more.
And there is even a option a forum, though I am very much undecided on the forum part.
I do not want to take traffic away from the forum here at Dashcamtalk, as I belive in keeping this website a one stop site for every thing dash camera.
But it would be nice to keep things simple and local on the site with having a forum on our site..
Anyways back to topic. There is lot of change on the horizon for Lukas in the west.

Thanks again for taking the time to have this conversation!

To OP; would you mind sharing the price of the cam and if you paid any import/duty tax?

Hi Robert,

I got GPS, put it on, it's working, but it displays time that 1 hour later than actual time here (Eastern Time).
Do you have any idea why it happens? Should GPS adjust day saving time and back?

Thanks,
Lenny.

Depending on the camera/model you may have to check/uncheck a daylight savings time option in the settings. I know in Thinkware dashcam there is an option listed below the time zone. The GPS updated the time automatically.

Thanks a lot, I'll check it out.

Depending on the camera/model you may have to check/uncheck a daylight savings time option in the settings. I know in Thinkware dashcam there is an option listed below the time zone. The GPS updated the time automatically.
Yup this would be exactly it.
Will be called summer time.
And make sure the camera is set to your time zone as well.
Let me know how it goes!

That was easy but I expected GPS to take care of time switching just like on mobile phones. Thanks!

I suspect it would take up a lot of space on the cameras memory to have the time zone listed for every point on earth, just to save on the tiny inconvenience of setting the time zone manually,

I suspect it would take up a lot of space on the cameras memory to have the time zone listed for every point on earth, just to save on the tiny inconvenience of setting the time zone manually,

it is possible to do auto timezone based on a table lookup of lat and long positions, we had it in our old Ambarella based product, it's a hell of a lot of work though and still doesn't account for any DST offsets which would require a lot more work to setup, even I've had this functionality in cameras previously I would say overall the reward is not worth the effort, sometimes the simple methods (AKA, adjust it yourself) really are the best

Back